2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes ACS vs H&R springs

06-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #67
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

I just installed HR on my xdrive as well. Pretty happy with it. I dont have comparison with other springs but I am quite happy with the looks, ride and performance.

Appreciate 2
EV8634.00
      06-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #68
Hochey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
I just installed HR on my xdrive as well. Pretty happy with it. I dont have comparison with other springs but I am quite happy with the looks, ride and performance.

Thats a nice looking car you've got yourself there Carbonm3ny! Props!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #69
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochey View Post

Thats a nice looking car you've got yourself there Carbonm3ny! Props!
Thanks!! I think Graphite Gray is a great color but very hard to capture the true color on camera. I think I got lucky taking this pic : ) I do love the color and I do love the car and everything about it. Cant wait to get my new wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #70
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:

Looks good...Nice drop!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #71
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

Quote:
Hey Carbon,

Hows the ride quality on the H&R's? My 335i had them and they were incredibly stiff and had issues with the bottoming out on the bump stops a lot. I really like the height of your car so I'd be willing to give them another shot if they rode better.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #72
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

They ride almost close to stock with the exception of getting rid of the floatiness the OEM suspension have. I always drive on comfort+ and it's good as stock for me even with my 20s. I don't have any issue with bottoming out but then again I drive slower now when hitting a bump or pothole cuz I'm afraid of bending my wheels. With my current setup, I don't have any rubbing either. I go for the HR springs, you won't regret it.

With regards to bottoming out on your 335, did you cut your bump stop? I think HR recommend cutting them when installing their springs
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #73
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

Quote:
They ride almost close to stock with the exception of getting rid of the floatiness the OEM suspension have. I always drive on comfort+ and it's good as stock for me even with my 20s. I don't have any issue with bottoming out but then again I drive slower now when hitting a bump or pothole cuz I'm afraid of bending my wheels. With my current setup, I don't have any rubbing either. I go for the HR springs, you won't regret it.

With regards to bottoming out on your 335, did you cut your bump stop? I think HR recommend cutting them when installing their springs

I did the trim but unless you changed struts it was either live with a giant thud or blow your suspension out.

Good to know.. I drive in Sport+ everyday all day lol...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #74
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
I did the trim but unless you changed struts it was either live with a giant thud or blow your suspension out.

Good to know.. I drive in Sport+ everyday all day lol...
I believe the 335 has less shock travel and rides on the bump stops more which is actually part of the spring rate as compared to our F10 4x4 OEM shock travel. We have a lot more to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #75
automaz_
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
802012 BMW  [0.00]
Anyone have estimates of how long a car with HnR springs lasts before the struts start giving out. I bought my car brand new in 2012 .... 535xi non sport....The car is almost 4 years old now and I've put 42k miles on it and drive in sport mode always. KW makes V3 coilovers for $2900 and I rather just buy an M5 for my next car than dish that much out. Megan's make coils for $900 but not for the x drive. I plan on having this car for another year or two so was thinking about going with the H n R sport springs. If anyone has personal experience with these springs and could say how long they've had their springs for on stock struts/how many miles that'd be great. There are so many of these threads but no one really answers that
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #76
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz0106 View Post
Anyone have estimates of how long a car with HnR springs lasts before the struts start giving out. I bought my car brand new in 2012 .... 535xi non sport....The car is almost 4 years old now and I've put 42k miles on it and drive in sport mode always. KW makes V3 coilovers for $2900 and I rather just buy an M5 for my next car than dish that much out. Megan's make coils for $900 but not for the x drive. I plan on having this car for another year or two so was thinking about going with the H n R sport springs. If anyone has personal experience with these springs and could say how long they've had their springs for on stock struts/how many miles that'd be great. There are so many of these threads but no one really answers that
couple of members had their shocks blow after a H&R spring install within a week or two? i'll have to find those post
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #77
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

I got H&R springs installed on my Xdrive early spring (april) and so far so good. I hope my shock will last since there is no aftermarket shocks for the xdrive...

The ride is near perfect and really not to stiff.
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #78
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphil View Post
I got H&R springs installed on my Xdrive early spring (april) and so far so good. I hope my shock will last since there is no aftermarket shocks for the xdrive...

The ride is near perfect and really not to stiff.
eventually the shocks will wear since it's lowered but hopefully there will be some shocks out for the Xdrive by than
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:13 AM   #79
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Hey all,

New member over here in the f10 forums. I've had my f30 335i m performance edition (xdrive) since March 2015 but ordered an f10 528i X drive with a late November delivery and will be trading in the f30.

The car is carbon black on Oyster with the executive package. But this time, I believe it is with standard suspension (m sport kit, 19" wheels, hud, rear camera, and a bunch of other goodies).

Anyway, I have h&r sport springs on my current 335i X drive matched with stock adaptive suspension. I find the height of the car great and love how it looks aesthetically (if anything maybe ever so slightly just a tad too low). However, I find the ride much too bouncy and my wife hates sitting in my car because of it. However changing to go-flats helped significantly.

Anyway, with the incoming f10, I'll be going from my current car which looks super aggressive and sporty, to an f10 528 which will make me look like an old man with two kids (I do have 2 kids but am faar from old) if I keep it bone stock.

I really only need to do 3 things to the car.

1) lower
2) spacers
3) oem 20s - really liking the 356m and 343m wheels
4) maybe I will need to add a bms quick tuner to give it a tad more oomph too

So with regards to suspension, if I found the previous ride on h&r sport springs, It seems from what I'm reading here I might find the same with the h&r springs on the f10?

Would the ACS be a better choice if I am not needing to be all that low, maybe an inch or so is all I need. And is the ride on ACS less bouncy?

The other spring setup I'm thinking about (which is the direction I would go on the f30 if I did it all over again) is the dinan springs and bump stops. Are these available for the f10 528 X drive? And if so, would they be less bouncy?

And as another idea, is there be a good strut to match up with any of these springs? The billstein b8 struts were known to match up very well with the f30 dinan springs but we a horrible match with the h&r sport springs.

However if I'm to do springs and struts, am I better off going with coils?

Again, I'm not looking for a slammed look. Just looking for around 1" or so lower. And wanting to maintain an non bouncy comfortable ride that won't make my wife sick everytime she's in the car.

Thanks and I look forward to any and all input!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #80
Sgirgiss1214
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535I M sport

I have H&R on my F10 ride quality is fine, imo it is an agressive drop for just springs, But I think it looks great. Also, I havent had a problem with my shocks or struts been about a month, my shop told me most of the time people have problems is when they are installed improperly.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #81
007F10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13' 535i Msport AW

the spring battle continues lol....
My good friend had a f10 550 with H&R and didn't like the bounce so I went with ACS ( I know diff models are affected differently)

I have the ACS springs and a GF that doesn't like lowered cars so I can comment on that.

I can tell you from my experience (13' 535i msport), the ACS springs are perfect for me and the GF hasn't complained once. Right after instillation I was concerned with the height cause it didn't drop much but after a month or so it settled in just perfect. Like others have said the MSports should come from the factory with these springs. Height is perfect, ride is GREATLY improved, and no bounce. No matter the spring you run I think it looks much better on 20's as well, and I have some Fatty tires (255F/295R) but that is just IMO. Also if you run the right wheel even OEM you don't need spacers, I'm running the 303m wheel from the 7ser and the offset is perfect. (attached Pics)

I am still on stock struts and ride is fine but I understand the risk of having to replace down the road

**Note I need to take some new pics since the tire change, here is a pic with the 7 spec wheel. my new tires are much more square and fill that little gap left on the offset
Attached Images

2013 535i Msport
RIP: '95 E36 M3 | '90 E30 325is | '87 E30 318i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #82
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
So for the guys here who have these springs installed, are you on standard shock/struts or on dynamic suspension?

I'm wondering how the ride with just a spring swap would be on stock standard shock/struts. I'm a little worried about it being bouncy. Any input with regards to ACS or any other springs would be great!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #83
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30
So for the guys here who have these springs installed, are you on standard shock/struts or on dynamic suspension?

I'm wondering how the ride with just a spring swap would be on stock standard shock/struts. I'm a little worried about it being bouncy. Any input with regards to ACS or any other springs would be great!
007F10 that ride drop is perfect. I should've gone ACS too. Stock shocks are gonna blow on your lowered springs, but maybe not on ACS. If you don't want your wife to complain get the Koni's and set them to .65 front and rears. If you go with 20's you're gonna want more power for the rotational mass. If you stay on 19's you can go with a higher side wall to absorb the bumps and still have tons of grip.

Also E30toF30 might want to consider Dinan springs https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dinan-pa...d100-0479~din/
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #84
notatall
Registered
Rep
Drives: m550d f11

Hi everyone,

I wanted your input on this question :

i want to lower a bit my f11 m550d with adaptive drive
There are a few options on the market :

H&R
ACS
RD Sports
KW
Eibach ...

From what i could gather and exchange with manufacturers, only RD Sports is making a dedicated progressively wound springs for adaptive drive suspensions
All the others are providing linear wound springs and do not make

I guess that the original springs are linear ones from pictures i saw
Furthermore, from my understanding, progressively wound springs advantages are the same as the adaptive drive meaning that installing those would be doing twice the job.

Progressively wound springs as well as adaptive drive suspension are trying to control body roll either by stiffer spring rate at one given compression or by increasing the anti roll bar stiffness.

Price is a concern as RD Springs are 7.5 more expensive than the other solutions (at least in Belgium : RD sport : +-1500 €, all the others : +-200 €)

I read a lot about people happy with their lowering spring whatever the brand and i know what i would choose if i go for linear springs.

My question is do you think that progressively wound springs are "better" than linear and not redundant with adaptive drive ? and in what way ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:41 AM   #85
wtlb
Rep
Drives: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
It all depends what you want. H&R lowers your car more than ACS springs do but as far as ride quality I don't think they compare. I have had H&R springs before and the ride was bouncy. I currently have ACS springs on my car and even though they were more expensive my car rides awesome. It feels so solid I love it. I can whip turns with no body roll and the car just feels solid on bumps. I actually think BMW should put these springs in all their M-sport package equipped cars. That's my take. I would go ACS all the way unless you want to go maybe a half inch lower and save some money but with this car I wouldn't cut corners to save a few bucks when it comes to something like suspension or anything else. This is a heavy car and it needs to have solid quality add on's to get it to feel just right and I'm not saying that H&R's suck because I have used them before but I wouldn't on this car.
Thanks. This was very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:44 AM   #86
wtlb
Rep
Drives: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
I concur with everything Hunter5179 said. I've had all three and the ACS are the best and they are still low on my 550i. H&Rs ride quality on this car is terrible.
+1 H&R give your car a lovely stance but ride quality is terrible. It's so bouncy you feel out of control sometimes.

Last edited by wtlb; 03-28-2017 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #87
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtlb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
I concur with everything Hunter5179 said. I've had all three and the ACS are the best and they are still low on my 550i. H&Rs ride quality on this car is terrible.
+1 H&R give your car a lovely stance but ride quality is terrible. It's so bouncy you feel out of control sometimes.
Maybe the difference in model (engine/xdrive or not) makes a difference but my 535i xdrive ride almost stock like on H&R. Now that I have H&R swaybar as well I am very satisfied in handling department
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:20 AM   #88
Oompah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I am on H&R and I don't really have a problem with the ride quality at all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0