2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Ticking sound passenger side windshield/dash area

01-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
Calopez1143
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Ticking sound passenger side windshield/dash area

Hello All, I am new to BMW and to this forum. Need your assistance in figuring out a ticking sound. My vehicle is a CPO 2016 (manufactured in 2015) 550i. Have had the vehicle for a couple of days and started to hear a ticking sound from the passenger side area. Sounds like if it was coming from inside the dash but close to the windshield. It does not happen when the car is cold, it starts when the engine starts to warm up and then it goes away when the engine is at operating temperature. Originally thought it was from AC blower motor area, but when diagnosing and tapping it, that sound is much lower than the ticking sound. When placing my ear against the windshield on that side of the vehicle from the outside, you hear the noise, and as i move further away from that corner, the sound also reduces. I also placed my ear on top of the AC Blower housing cover that is clipped into the windshield molding and the sound is amplified. Searched all over and have found out that BMW is known for clicks, rattled and knocks, but really need to figure out how to get rid of the noise. I am going to the dealer next week, but have to prepare Incase they want to enforce the CPO warranty that excludes clicks and rattles. Vehicle only has 32k miles on it, so I will be pursuing a repair to this noise, it want to know if anyone else had this same problem and found a solution to it. I have a video of the sound, but have not figured out how to upload it yet.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this issue and if i have missed a forum that discusses this, please guide me to it if so.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Upload the video to YouTube or something and post the link.
I haven't heard of this before so ya just take it in.
Unless you pissed someone off, then just run! :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Calopez1143
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Video of sound

This video is after turning on the vehicle and switching between Drive - Neutral - Reverse. Sound vibrating at same rhythm as engine. Vehicle is still.

This video is just leaving the vehicle at Drive, but not moving.

I am going to be taking it in next week, but after reading a bunch of horror stories from all the forums, I wanted to get a head start and ask the community first to get an idea so that I can guide the BMW Tech to a specific location. Really don't want to deal with multiple trips back and forth trying to figure it out.

Thank you all again.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

Sounds similar to flywheel chatter
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Did you tried to turn off your fan and see if it goes away?
Appreciate 0