2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 5 series or X5

09-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

5 series or X5

I have a 2013 328i, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5 series or an X5. I need a bigger vehicle for my growing family. I think both cars would be big enough, and there's not a significant difference in cost.

The question is which one has less problems and which one is more fun to drive?

I read that many 5 series owners have trouble with the car pulling to the side, and I read that X5 owners have lots of rattles. What should I watch out for, and which engines should I avoid?

For those that have both vehicles, which one do you enjoy driving more?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

From my own experience X cars are less quality than the 5 series, especially in comparison to the F10 a big improvement on the E60! not sure about the new X5 if any different to the previous X cars!
practicality with kids, especially younger ones X5 beat the 5 by miles, it’s the hatch back cabin space you get with 5 doors cars compare to 4 door chassis you simply cannot compare! the height of the X5 will save your back when putting the kids in!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

How old are your kids?

Mine are 8 & 11 and I went from an E70 X5 to a F10 5 Series, tbh I think that the 5 has more than enough space for us. Cabin dimensions are simular but the 5 obviously has less cabin height and boot space.

The only situations in which I have missed the X5 are when I want to make a visit to the rubbish dump, the rare occasions we used the 7 seat option or when we recently went on holiday and I had to load the car with suitcases. I just borrow a van for rubbish dump visits, didn't use the 7 seats enough to justify the extra cost/running expenses and we still managed to take everything we wanted on holiday.

If your kids are young and are still in push chairs/bulky baby seats it may be worth going with the X5 for the extra boot space and increased ride height. If not the 5 is more than capable and certainly better to drive enthusiastically.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStoreMoney View Post
I have a 2013 328i, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5 series or an X5. I need a bigger vehicle for my growing family. I think both cars would be big enough, and there's not a significant difference in cost.

The question is which one has less problems and which one is more fun to drive?

I read that many 5 series owners have trouble with the car pulling to the side, and I read that X5 owners have lots of rattles. What should I watch out for, and which engines should I avoid?

For those that have both vehicles, which one do you enjoy driving more?
Both cars have similar powertrain and tech, so from a reliability point of view, they are both about the same. I would think the X5 being a 1st year model, it will have more glitches and rattles. sedan will always be more fun to drive in my opinion, SUV can be fun to drive, but it is still a SUV. The I6 engine is probably the most popular, the V8 engine tend to have more issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

You need to first decide whether you want an SUV or sedan - then shop the comparable models. The 5 and x5 have a good deal in common - engines, options, etc - but the most obvious difference is they're completely different from a functional point of view. The 5 is perfectly fine for hauling some kids, but the x5 will give you more cargo room, headroom, and light off-road utility. For young kids, as mentioned above, the x5 may be better if you're hauling things like baby seats, diaper bags, pack 'n play, etc. I've found the trunk of the 5 to be roomy, but it's not great for many of the massive-sized baby things that don't fold up... especially if you're going somewhere where you need to pack suitcases AND bring that stuff along.

Most people don't use the off-road capabilities of an SUV, but if you truly intend to, obviously that's a no-brainer too - you won't bring the 5 off-road. This doesn't need to be hard-core off-roading, but it may just be camping trips or light duty. We use my wife's Q5 for this type of thing, so having the 5 as a regular sedan makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

We have both cars in our family, F10 535i, and F15 X5. Quality in X5 is on par with 535i. In many ways the X5 feels more luxurious inside than the 535i. The X5 is solid and rattle free. Very happy with both cars. For a family car, no doubt X5 is the best choice, much more room, comfort, and ease of getting in and out.
      09-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
sk0525
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F85

Quote:
...and there's not a significant difference in cost.
If you're leasing there is a significant difference in your monthly payment. You can get a 535 for around $550+/mo but a decently equipped X5 3.5 xDrive will run you $850+/mo at the very least.
      09-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

I have both the F10 and F15.

For families, the X5 is much better for the kids. The storage for strollers and other kid related gear in the trunk is better. They also like the higher seat position. The X5 has other storage areas throughout the vehicle that work better than the F10.

The handling of the F10 including turning and braking is far superior than the X5. The X5 also rolls side to side as most trucks do as it goes down a freeway. The F10 interior is similar to the F15 in quality however I find the comfort seats of the F10 better than the comfort seats of the F15.

As far as reliability, I've had three separate electrical issues with my F10 where as my X5 has had no issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
username8701
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

I'd prefer the X5 although I have the F10. Id rather have the space for my family and need it that not have it and need it. Just my opinion tho!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

Thanks for the replies!! It's a difficult decision. I love my 3 series, and so I think I'd enjoy the 5 series more. But the X5 might be more practical for my needs.... I'll have to think about it some more.

@sk0525: Interesting that the lease payments are off by that much. I guess that's gotta be related to resale value. It doesn't matter too much for me because I will be keeping it long term (I hope), and I'll be buying it. Of course I say that every time, and I end up with a new vehicle every 3 years...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!! It's a difficult decision. I love my 3 series, and so I think I'd enjoy the 5 series more. But the X5 might be more practical for my needs.... I'll have to think about it some more.

@sk0525: Interesting that the lease payments are off by that much. I guess that's gotta be related to resale value. It doesn't matter too much for me because I will be keeping it long term (I hope), and I'll be buying it. Of course I say that every time, and I end up with a new vehicle every 3 years...
If you are buying the car for yourself, get the 5 series. If you are buying the car for the family, get the X5. Personally, the new X5 look too much like a minivan for my liking. Also, I have never been a SUV guy, I had one when the kids were young, hated it and trade it in after 3 years. A perfect situation for a family would be a SUV for the wife and a sedan for yourself.
Appreciate 0