2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rebooting iDrive question...

12-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Rebooting iDrive question...

Hello,

I searched everywhere for a procedure on how to reboot iDrive an the following are the suggestions that people had:

"Hold down the Volume(power) button for 25 Seconds"

"Hold down the idrive knob while simultaneously pressing the eject button and radio power button"

"Press EJECT (DVD) or EJECT (CD) and MUTE at the same time until BMW Logo comes up then disappears"

"hold down both eject buttons for the DVD and CD drives while pushing the radio power knob" (in US cards there is only one eject button, am I correct?)

None of them worked in my F10. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Are you pressing the volume button in (towards the engine) and holding it for 30 seconds? You should get the BMW screen and it will reboot.
      12-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor
Try pressing the volume button in and holding it for 30 seconds. You should get the BMW screen and it will reboot.
That is one of the things I tried. Can u confirm that it works with your car? Do u have an f10? Does it matter that the car is running while I am trying this?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisina4 View Post
That is one of the things I tried. Can u confirm that it works with your car? Do u have an f10? Does it matter that the car is running while I am trying this?
Oh wait, you have NBT. In my experience it restarts when it feels like it, typically after you let the car go to sleep, then when you unlock the car iDrive restarts as indicated by the BMW splash screen appearing when you press the start button.
      12-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisina4 View Post
Oh wait, you have NBT. In my experience it restarts when it feels like it, typically after you let the car go to sleep, then when you unlock the car iDrive restarts as indicated by the BMW splash screen appearing when you press the start button.
That is correct, however, sometimes when I am driving, iDrive acts up. This can be something like iDrive disconnects from the iPhone, so I wanted to see how I can reboot it at that time. I do have the latest software on both the iPhone and iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

according to my advisor, this is a known issue with the iDrive rebooting while driving. Good news for you is that a new update (includes navigation/maps), solves the problem. Hopefully, your vehicle is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
Vapiano
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix AW- 2007 Dinan M5

Quote:
Are you pressing the volume button in (towards the engine) and holding it for 30 seconds? You should get the BMW screen and it will reboot.
This worked for me, whenever I shut down, wait 2-3 minutes and restart the car, it runs the M logo screen (coded in), followed by the green city navi sequence. Before the reboot, it would only do this occasionally. Now it does it every time and never reboots when I am driving.
2007 M5, 6 speed, Silver Gray Metallic, Full Black Merino Leather, Brushed Ti Trim, HUD, Active M Comfort Seats/Heated & Cooled, Navi, Premium Sound, HK L7, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Rear & Side Sunshades, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Voice Command, Custom S/W, Passport 9500ci w/jammers, Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meter/Intakes, CF Front Strut Brace, S1 Suspension & Free Flow Exhaust, Evolve S2 Tune
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisina4
Hello,

I searched everywhere for a procedure on how to reboot iDrive an the following are the suggestions that people had:

"Hold down the Volume(power) button for 25 Seconds"

"Hold down the idrive knob while simultaneously pressing the eject button and radio power button"

"Press EJECT (DVD) or EJECT (CD) and MUTE at the same time until BMW Logo comes up then disappears"

"hold down both eject buttons for the DVD and CD drives while pushing the radio power knob" (in US cards there is only one eject button, am I correct?)

None of them worked in my F10. Any suggestions?
Thank you
This used to work on my 2013 7, then a SW update caused it to no longer work.

My 2015 7 will not reboot with any of these steps.

It is very presumptuous of systems developers to not have a forced reset or reboot available.

I argue that it's even dangerous.

Not having an available forced reset or reboot means you'll start fighting with every conceivable device with every conceivable option at speed. Yeah, don't tell me you've never done it or you never will. The fact is you might do it if you really need it.

Sooner or later you will. Maybe the day a family member is in the hospital and you need the call.

The bottom line is that the more recent Idrive versions on the latest cars with the latest devices is NOT stable.

Until Idrive is stable, we need a forced reboot or reset Available .

We need a reset/reboot procedure that works at speed. Even Apollo back in the early 1970s had it.

For Christmas sake BMW, you should not need ground start equipment to fix a BT issue with a critical comm device.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I can't work out the NBT iDrive, sometimes it boots up boots quickly, as if it had not gone to sleep at all, whilst at other times it does the full boot sequence. Logic would dictate that it depends on how long the car has been shut down but that doesn't seem to be the case: sometimes it'll perform a full boot even though the ignition's only been switched off for a few minutes, whilst at other times it'll do a very short boot even though the ignition's been off for hours, very strange!
Appreciate 0