2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Control Display/Nav Crash and Reset

07-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Control Display/Nav Crash and Reset

I had to bring my car to the service the other day because of a Control Display/Navigation issue.

My 535 is a Jan 13 production and has only 2K on it but this issue happened 6 or 7 times since I took delivery.

Randomly, when I start the car, the control display won't come on and the multimedia/navigation/camera etc. functions do not work. Even when I try to hold the volume button pressed to reset the unit, nothing happens. I even tried getting out of the car and locking/unlocking and restarting the car, but nothing happens.

Then, after a while (10-15 minutes) the system comes back on as if it reboots and everything works perfectly. The first couple of times, I thought that it is a temporary glitch, and did not worry but it kept on happening, especially when I needed navigation and it was problematic.

I brought the car to the service and described what happened thoroughly. The first question the SA asked was, if I have left the car under direct sunlight. It was a weird question and since I park the car in the underground garage all the time, it was not the case. he said that they had other people with the same complaint and it was because the unit was overheating when parked under the sun.

Anyways, they've kept the car for 2 days because they tried to reprogram the car as they had a service bulletin and an updated program to fix the "crash and reset" issue but the first time they tried their Internet connection had a problem and the reprogramming failed.

When they delivered the car, everything was working as it should but of course all the coding was also reset and gone.

My question is, has anyone had the same issue or heard of someone with similar complaints. The service manager told me that they keep on getting cars with the same problem every now and then. He said that it could be a program issue or also could be because of the coding but the probability was very low.
Appreciate 0