2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Sway Bars: Front & Rear
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
alpinef10
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: BMW 550xi M sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Sway Bars: Front & Rear

I am looking to install sway bars on a 2014 550 xdrive for a tighter feel when turning, can someone recommend the best sway bars if there is any difference between the different manufacturers. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Ickdeep
Captain
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
267
Rep
968
Posts

Drives: '13 F10 535Xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [5.00]
I don't have them personally but I'm looking at getting H&R Sway Bars. A lot of members here have those installed
__________________

20% Tint | ///M Double Slotted Grill | Blacked Out Emblems + Door Handle Trim
Painted Front & Rear Reflectors + Fender Trim + High Kick Rear Spoiler
BurgerTuning Spacers | Black 351 Wheels | CF Vorsteiner Front Lip | DMT CF Diffuser | M5 Mufflers
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Surly73
Captain
Canada
45
Rep
891
Posts

Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I have a couple of options in my possession and have tried a few combos on my car.

H&R works and fits well, although the 30mm front is stiff enough that you can start to experience some of the negative aspects of tying left/right together so stiffly.

M5 front/H&R 20mm rear is what I'm running right now. It dials out even more understeer and softens the coupling in the front just enough that the downsides are not present.

If you don't have ARS - doing SOMETHING is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
alpinef10
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: BMW 550xi M sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

So my car has all the options with respect to suspension and chassis setup. So m5 for front and H&R for rear. Sounds good. So there is a very noticeable difference with and without? The experience I have had with my car is the adaptive suspension behaves differently sometimes its a nice tight driving experience other times it feels a bit wishy washy and more boaty. Not sure if it's an electronic issue or what.. Any one else experience this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I have a couple of options in my possession and have tried a few combos on my car.

H&R works and fits well, although the 30mm front is stiff enough that you can start to experience some of the negative aspects of tying left/right together so stiffly.

M5 front/H&R 20mm rear is what I'm running right now. It dials out even more understeer and softens the coupling in the front just enough that the downsides are not present.

If you don't have ARS - doing SOMETHING is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
Surly73
Captain
Canada
45
Rep
891
Posts

Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinef10 View Post
So my car has all the options with respect to suspension and chassis setup.
If you have ARS, you don't have traditional sway bars, and you cannot fit aftermarket ones.

Quote:
So m5 for front and H&R for rear. Sounds good. So there is a very noticeable difference with and without?
Night and day

Quote:
The experience I have had with my car is the adaptive suspension behaves differently sometimes its a nice tight driving experience other times it feels a bit wishy washy and more boaty. Not sure if it's an electronic issue or what.. Any one else experience this?
This is why I don't like active suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
alpinef10
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: BMW 550xi M sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
If you have ARS, you don't have traditional sway bars, and you cannot fit aftermarket ones.



Night and day



This is why I don't like active suspension

So I can only use the M5 front sway bar then?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
kohsin
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 550ix
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinef10 View Post
So I can only use the M5 front sway bar then?
Yes. M5 Front and 650 rear will work.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Surly73
Captain
Canada
45
Rep
891
Posts

Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinef10 View Post
So I can only use the M5 front sway bar then?
Sorry - the "aftermarket" isn't the important part. I don't believe cars with ARS have any sway bars. A hydraulic system is involved the stiffen the car when it deems appropriate.

You don't have any traditional bars to change out, regardless of whether they say "BMW" or "H&R" on them.

I think you're stuck with what you have.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #9
alpinef10
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: BMW 550xi M sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Thanks appreciate your response! Thinking of whether to chip it to add another 90 hp to it. Not sure it's going to make a whole lot of sense with the way the car handles currently.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
Surly73
Captain
Canada
45
Rep
891
Posts

Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinef10 View Post
Thanks appreciate your response! Thinking of whether to chip it to add another 90 hp to it. Not sure it's going to make a whole lot of sense with the way the car handles currently.
Well... First thing would be to confirm exactly what you've got. Use a VIN lookup tool to get all the packages/options. A lot of people with DHP seem to say the car handles pretty well, at least when all the parts are like new. I have a friend with an older 745i with ARS and he says that he has to fool ARS into stiffening before a turn by giving the steering wheel a little jerk a second before the real turn. Doesn't sound appealing to me - I'd prefer old fashioned bars myself.

I thought that in Sport or Sport+ things would always be on the stiffer side.

Long story short - if you don't have ARS you have options which are worth every dollar. If you do have ARS, you don't have any options at all, but should make sure that what you already have is working properly.

IMO - do handling before power.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST