2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Full Office integration with HTC Surround running Mango

09-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Dominguezh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Sport

Talking Full Office integration with HTC Surround running Mango

I took delivery of my 2011 F10 on Monday. I have spent most of the week trying to get my Motorola Atrix to connect to the car and use all of BMW's capabilities with it. I was only able to connect the phone via bluetooth to make phone calls and download the address book. I talked to BMW of America customer relations a few times as well at Motorola support and AT&T. Yesterday I got a call back from BMW saying that officially, the only phone supported 100% in the USA is the HTC Surround running Windows Mobile.

Now, let me put this out there ... I am a phone whore. I change phones very often. I have tried every flavor out there. I am also a huge Apple fan and only own Macs at home and work. I have tried Windows Mobile phones over the years including the new Windows Mobile 7 and I was not impressed. However, I was dead set in seeing the full capabilities of Mobile Office on the car. I browsed Craigslist yesterday and found a guy that was willing to trade his HTC Surround for my Atrix. Good trade for him, bad one for me. But I did it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the guy had already loaded the latest version of Windows Mobile nicknamed "Mango". The interface is much better with this version (7.5). Right away, I was very impressed. The phone paired right away without issues and EVERYTHING worked! Music streaming, text and emails were read out loud by the system, phone book downloaded. Beautiful integration.

However, I went to bed late because I was wondering if this phone was going to "cut it" for me. This morning, I found out that Microsoft actually has a free connector available on the Apple App Store. I was able to sync music from iTunes and even pictures from iPhoto. I am VERY happy with this phone. The more I play with it, the more I like it.

Considering that my car is over 60k, switching to another phone was no big deal. In fact, I highly recommend you switch. You will be a safer driver.

I know I have read a few posts of other phones working as well. As far as BMW says, this is the only phone that is 100% supported. I will continue to research on the reason why only this phone and not any other Windows Mobile 7 phone. It doesn't make sense to me but I am glad I am now setup.

The iPhone 5 better be an awesome phone for me to switch back. It is great that Apple has competition.

Hector
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

one question

Do you have the BMW App? I was told that only cars with BMW App can do the texts/emails.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

What about Calendar, Tasks and Notes? This works with Blackberry Torch, and those are also parts of BMW Office,
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

This is what Full Office Integration look like:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
GGPlena
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

SMS (not email) works on WP7 (HTC Trophy 7.0) as well.

I profoundly hate Apple and their proprietary business model. Unfortunatly it seems that in order to get maximum mobile integration in a modern BMW you need to go Apple. I am waiting for iPhone 5 to be released so that I can get full Internet, Apps and Office integration...

Do anyone have any news about more advanced features being supported for Android or WP?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

There is no evidence that iOS 5 will support MAP for full office integration. The only thing the new iOS will support is AVRCP which will provide metadata for BT audio streaming. Maybe iOS 10 in 5 years will have MAP! Apple is always years behind their bluetooth profiles
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
GGPlena
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

Yes. But I am referring to usage via the snap-in adapter. Communication at that point is not dependent upon bluetooth profiles.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
BD21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 750i xDrive

Garage List
Gang, I just got a 2011 528i with BMW apps and I have an iPhone 3Gs with the latest iOS. I can see my calendar and also my phonebook in Office, but not my emails or texts. Is there a setting that I need to change? I am also able to use Facebook, Pandora, Twitter, and Calendar with BMW apps. However can figure out how to get it to read my emails and SMS out loud to me nor to show up on my iDrive screen. Please advise, thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Rmitchell248
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD21 View Post
Gang, I just got a 2011 528i with BMW apps and I have an iPhone 3Gs with the latest iOS. I can see my calendar and also my phonebook in Office, but not my emails or texts. Is there a setting that I need to change? I am also able to use Facebook, Pandora, Twitter, and Calendar with BMW apps. However can figure out how to get it to read my emails and SMS out loud to me nor to show up on my iDrive screen. Please advise, thanks very much.
I'm sorry but apple does not have message access available yet. You will not be able to access these messages and emails through your BMW and iPhone until apple makes this available. We do not know when this will be yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
rubik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i TiAG

Today i synced my Nokia N9 (Meego OS) and tested its office integration. Comparing to Mobileum's screenshot, i am missing the 'Messages' option, which sucks. However, it has everything else plus an additional option in the list called 'Notes'. Here's the pic
Attached Images

Last edited by rubik; 11-13-2011 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: pic
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
surreybmwdriver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 525d Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominguezh View Post
I took delivery of my 2011 F10 on Monday. I have spent most of the week trying to get my Motorola Atrix to connect to the car and use all of BMW's capabilities with it. I was only able to connect the phone via bluetooth to make phone calls and download the address book. I talked to BMW of America customer relations a few times as well at Motorola support and AT&T. Yesterday I got a call back from BMW saying that officially, the only phone supported 100% in the USA is the HTC Surround running Windows Mobile.

Now, let me put this out there ... I am a phone whore. I change phones very often. I have tried every flavor out there. I am also a huge Apple fan and only own Macs at home and work. I have tried Windows Mobile phones over the years including the new Windows Mobile 7 and I was not impressed. However, I was dead set in seeing the full capabilities of Mobile Office on the car. I browsed Craigslist yesterday and found a guy that was willing to trade his HTC Surround for my Atrix. Good trade for him, bad one for me. But I did it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the guy had already loaded the latest version of Windows Mobile nicknamed "Mango". The interface is much better with this version (7.5). Right away, I was very impressed. The phone paired right away without issues and EVERYTHING worked! Music streaming, text and emails were read out loud by the system, phone book downloaded. Beautiful integration.

However, I went to bed late because I was wondering if this phone was going to "cut it" for me. This morning, I found out that Microsoft actually has a free connector available on the Apple App Store. I was able to sync music from iTunes and even pictures from iPhoto. I am VERY happy with this phone. The more I play with it, the more I like it.

Considering that my car is over 60k, switching to another phone was no big deal. In fact, I highly recommend you switch. You will be a safer driver.

I know I have read a few posts of other phones working as well. As far as BMW says, this is the only phone that is 100% supported. I will continue to research on the reason why only this phone and not any other Windows Mobile 7 phone. It doesn't make sense to me but I am glad I am now setup.

The iPhone 5 better be an awesome phone for me to switch back. It is great that Apple has competition.

Hector

I have a Nokia Lumia 800 (which also runs Windows Phone 7.5). The Bluetooth integration with F1x is flawless. Music streaming works like a charm and when I turn the ignition/engine on, it resumes the song/album/playlist I was listening to before I entered the car so no need to touch the phone or plug it in. It stays in my pocket or bag during the journey!

I am not using a snap-in adapter so I don't get the improved signal but reception is fine where I live and work - no call drops so far. Messages section under "Office" is working fine.
      03-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are you able to get emails and texts?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #13
surreybmwdriver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I can get text but not email.
      03-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks! How bout calendar?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
surreybmwdriver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
Thanks! How bout calendar?
No calendar either. The only available options in the "Office" section are Contacts and Messages.