2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone install Drivewise?

09-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive M Sport

Anyone install Drivewise?

Trying to get my auto premium down and Allstate suggested I install Drivewise in my car. Basically, the device plugs into the diagnostics port and monitors your driving behavior, aggregates data over 3 months, and determines whether you are a "safe" driver using their algorithm. At first I hated the idea of a monitoring device but was told I could save up to 30%. The device is on order, but I still have time to decide. Rates can't go up, only down, so the only thing I have to lose is being "monitored" for 3 months. I'm not crazy about given up my freedom to save a few dollars but my premium has increased substantially over the past year.

Anyone do this?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy5 View Post
Basically, the device plugs into the diagnostics port and monitors your driving behavior, aggregates data over 3 months, and determines whether you are a "safe" driver using their algorithm.
I got information about similar program from my insurance and couldn't help but thinking what a horrible idea would be to have this installed. Perhaps I'm just too cynical and jaded, but somehow I doubt this is done for driver's benefit and "fairness". Key in the whole story for me is that they would be "using their algorithm" to fairly determine "safe" drivers.

How exactly would they calculate what perfectly safe driver is? Obeying laws and speed limits aside, in my view being safe driver isn't "exact science". Person might like to accelerate hard and drive spirited and still be safe, where someone else might be exactly opposite.

They already have access to driver's records, points, tickets, previous claims, modifications made to the car, purchasing price...etc.., how much more can possibly be needed to asses one "fairly".

Oh... and raise your hand here those of you who NEVER go at least 5 over speed limit.

Last edited by Bbb34; 09-14-2015 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I would NEVER give my insurance company access to my second by second driving "style". Like Bbb says, who's to say you are or are not a "safe" driver. Their algorithm uses numbers without considering the situation. I tend to be a late-braker, just because I don't like to stop if I don't have to. I also like to corner fast, because even a Toyota Yaris can go straight fast; at least as fast as a couple of hamster can run!

This information can; and WILL; be used against you in the event of an accident. Reminds me.... I need to get a letter notarized saying the information in the "back box" is my property and my permission is needed to use the information in any way.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

You might want to Google some reviews. No one gets anywhere near a 30% discount, and there are numerous problems with draining car batteries and interference with electronics reported. I tried Progressive's version a few years ago and sent it back after a week. That version beeped when it registered a "high risk" event, like a sharp turn or abrupt braking. I found myself subconsciously making decisions about braking based on avoiding the beep, rather than safe driving practices, like not getting too close to the car in front of me while braking.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I would never use one of those devices, too much of a privacy issue for me.
      09-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
jas877
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

drive wise

Hey man I actually work for Allstate, The discount ranges anywhere from 1-30%. The device can never harm your premium no matter what because like I noted earlier, it is a discount. The 4 things the device looks at is

1. driving over 80mph (does not care if you drive 79 on a school zone)
2. driving during 11pm-6am
3. driving over 12k a year
4. hard breaking ( a hard break for allstate considers breaking over 10 miles per hour in 1 sec)

The discount on the device can ONLY be taken affect at renewal if it has had a minimum of 60 days to calculate the savings.

For ex. if it is Jan 1st and the Policy renews April 1st. Then the discount will taken affect on April 1st.

For ex. If it is March 1st and the Policy renews April 1st. The discount will NOT take affect in Aprils renewal, However on Octobers. If this is your case, There would be no point in putting it on now because you are getting monitored these extra months for no benefit to your savings.

I Have a f10 535i, and I (personally) do not have it simply becauseeeeeeee I have heard of a case once with a customer that had a brand new Porsche with drivewise and according to the techs at Porsche, the reason the electronics of the car got missed up, was due to drivewise. Can this be a lie to protects Porsche ass and they knew the real problem? yes. However I personally DO NOT have it on my car. I do have many customers with much nicer cars than mine that has never had a problem but just throwing that out there to make your decision easier.

IF you have any questions (if your policy is in the state of NJ) my contact info is below

Javier Sanchez Licensed Sales Producer T: 201-867-2287 F: 201-867-1037 700 Plaza Drive Secaucus, NJ 07094
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Read the reviews, it should give you plenty of reason not to put drivewise in.

https://www.expertinsurancereviews.c...ate-drivewise/
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I don't agree with these type of devices, in the UK you can also get a phone app that does a similar thing.
It simply can't work out if you are safe or not, its a crude device like speed cameras.
You can drive along right on the tail of someone else and it won't know.You can not bother to indicate , it won't know.
If it does know where you are via GPS, it could work out if you are speeding (even if it not actually dangerous)
We're sleepwalking into a nightmare here, and before we all know it, its the norm. you get penalised if you don't have one and your premium bumped up accordingly.
my small rant over....
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas877 View Post
Hey man I actually work for Allstate, The discount ranges anywhere from 1-30%. The device can never harm your premium no matter what because like I noted earlier, it is a discount. The 4 things the device looks at is

1. driving over 80mph (does not care if you drive 79 on a school zone)
2. driving during 11pm-6am
3. driving over 12k a year
4. hard breaking ( a hard break for allstate considers breaking over 10 miles per hour in 1 sec)

The discount on the device can ONLY be taken affect at renewal if it has had a minimum of 60 days to calculate the savings.

For ex. if it is Jan 1st and the Policy renews April 1st. Then the discount will taken affect on April 1st.

For ex. If it is March 1st and the Policy renews April 1st. The discount will NOT take affect in Aprils renewal, However on Octobers. If this is your case, There would be no point in putting it on now because you are getting monitored these extra months for no benefit to your savings.

I Have a f10 535i, and I (personally) do not have it simply becauseeeeeeee I have heard of a case once with a customer that had a brand new Porsche with drivewise and according to the techs at Porsche, the reason the electronics of the car got missed up, was due to drivewise. Can this be a lie to protects Porsche ass and they knew the real problem? yes. However I personally DO NOT have it on my car. I do have many customers with much nicer cars than mine that has never had a problem but just throwing that out there to make your decision easier.

IF you have any questions (if your policy is in the state of NJ) my contact info is below

Javier Sanchez Licensed Sales Producer T: 201-867-2287 F: 201-867-1037 700 Plaza Drive Secaucus, NJ 07094
Quote:
Data Collected

The device collects the following data points:

Braking Intensity and Speed
Acceleration Rate
Miles Driven Over 80 MPH
Total Miles
Time of Driving
11pm-4am – High Risk
12pm-11pm – Moderate Risk
4am – 12pm – Low Risk
Data Used

When calculating premium discounts, Allstate uses the following factors:

Braking Habits
Mileage
Time of Driving
Speed
Sooooo.... Most of one's driving would be considered moderate risk?? That can't help.

The morning commute is low risk yet the g'ome trip is moderate???
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
We're sleepwalking into a nightmare here, and before we all know it, its the norm. you get penalised if you don't have one and your premium bumped up accordingly.
my small rant over....

Not to mention if claims about messing up car's electronics are true (and folks from several different brands complained)...seriously uncool .
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Another insidious device wrapped in good intentions. Pass.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive M Sport

Definitly not doing this. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0