2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications picked up my dinan stage 2 550 today!

03-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
JKresh
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Smile update: 500 miles in and still NOT feeling the dinan stage 2

is it me or am I NOT feeling the dinan stage 2?
then again i dont really know what the car feels like without it except for a test drive
maybe i should drive it for a day or two?
maybe im not used to it coming from an e93 m3
ill give it a day of driving

13 aw 550xi
ex pack
lux seat
m package
carbon spoiler
carbon mirrors
black grills\

dinan stage 2
Attached Images

Last edited by JKresh; 04-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Its you brother. The 550i with Dinan S2 is a monster.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

your car isn't even broken in yet! relax and enjoy it for now. I'll tell you I had a E90 M3 and it does not have the same visceral thrill as the M3 but 550 is deceptively quick. I'd imagine the stage 2 will be even better.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
JKresh
Private
Rep

VERY deceptive but very fast!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Tuffyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport 550i

How many days has it been installed? I got stage 2 and was hugely disappointed on the 40 miles ride home. Next day I drove it to work and was busy thinking (rare for me) and forgot I had it installed- same on the 10 miles home. Next morning off to work again and when I accelerated at about 40 to quickly get on the freeway it started lunging. I let off the gas and punched it again and this time I noticed the traction control light blinking.

It was like a new engine had been dropped in overnight- incredibly noticeably in sport mode (which I use primarily)

Just got stage 3 yesterday and cannot say I notice a difference yet but have had my exhaust on for a few weeks so not sure the software will do much.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
JKresh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffyboy View Post
How many days has it been installed? I got stage 2 and was hugely disappointed on the 40 miles ride home. Next day I drove it to work and was busy thinking (rare for me) and forgot I had it installed- same on the 10 miles home. Next morning off to work again and when I accelerated at about 40 to quickly get on the freeway it started lunging. I let off the gas and punched it again and this time I noticed the traction control light blinking.

It was like a new engine had been dropped in overnight- incredibly noticeably in sport mode (which I use primarily)

Just got stage 3 yesterday and cannot say I notice a difference yet but have had my exhaust on for a few weeks so not sure the software will do much.
it was just installed yesterday and I drove it home today 100 miles, im thinking it needs a day to learn...
I even called the shop on the way home, they said "keep driving theres 501 horses in there" lol
i'll report back tomorrow.
again im coming from the raw e93 M3
this 550xi is smooth... and the SOUND is missing
i miss the "WOOF" of the m3 downshift lol
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Tuffyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Give it another day- not sure if its miles or CPU time. It's a different monster from the awesome high revving M3 but the torque feels like an 18 Wheeler.

My Meistercraft exhaust with adjustable valves and ACS springs (got them yesterday with the stage 3) makes it feel/sound more raw and sure footed- something you would expect in an M car. If I had Michelin Pilots rather than slick/hard run flats I bet it would be the last thing I need.

Best of luck, you will love it
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
JKresh
Private
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKresh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffyboy View Post

it was just installed yesterday and I drove it home today 100 miles, im thinking it needs a day to learn...
I even called the shop on the way home, they said "keep driving theres 501 horses in there" lol
i'll report back tomorrow.
again im coming from the raw e93 M3
this 550xi is smooth... and the SOUND is missing
i miss the "WOOF" of the m3 downshift lol
If what you want is sound than you need an exhaust brother.
      03-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
If what you want is sound than you need an exhaust brother.
Its the exhaust you miss from e93 M3 my friend. The 550i is a different beast my friend as others have said. Not the high revving engine you are used to in the M3 but is a beast when you get on it. I've had my Stage 3 for about 2.5 weeks now and while I haven't had that traction light start blaring at me yet [I really haven't tried to] I have felt the power that the increase in torque and hp gives you. Now I find myself barely burrying the right pedal most of the time cause if I do I'd very very soon be at illegal speeds man! With the exhaust you will have a car more on par to what you expect I think. It's a beast!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
JKresh
Private
Rep

its such an adult car I love it, so sexy
someone with stage 2 and x drive pm me, I dont know if the ds2 is working, I feel lag i dont know.. its FAST VERY FAST
but its NOT jump off the line low end fast, only 180 miles on the car so maybe its too soon, i just want to be sure the dealer didnt rip me off

worse enough he tried to mark me up 20% on the dinan at 3800
when it is 15% off and i called him out on it.....

they added the dinan to the price of the car im hoping they REALLY installed it lol
what should i look for any tests?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Boardman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 550

There should be a little dinan sticker under the hood right behind the hood latch.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
JKresh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardman View Post
There should be a little dinan sticker under the hood right behind the hood latch.
really?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
JKresh
Private
Rep

I dont see any sticker and im not sure the DS2 is working, I mean with traction controll off the tires should spin?
Ill give it another day of driving, another week and then call the dealer or dinan.
from what people rave and say about it i feel it is not installed on my car.
wish i had some paperwork other then a work order
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Dinan has to "learn" the car and understand that can take anywhere from a couple of hundred miles to 1k or so with some folks. With my Stage 1 install; I luckily had a 2hr drive back from Portland to Seattle to let the Dinan learn the car. Now with my Stage 3; I think it took about a week of daily driving for me to "feel" the effects. Remember also you are in still within the "breakin" period on your car and so a lot of things are still getting broken in with your car. That is also one big reason whey I waited till around 2500 miles to do my Dinan Stage 1 and Eissenman exhaust [despite assurances from dealers and others that it was okay to do right off the lot]. Your car does need to break in and get the various mechanicals working in harmony so to add Dinan and other major mods before that has happened IMHO just opens you up to issues like you are having where you feel the car is not performing as planned/thought/expected.

My advice would be to go back to your dealer after a week and have them check the software as well as call Dinan who I believe should have your vehicle/VIN in their registry as an uploaded and covered car for your Stage 1. Contact your Dinan regional rep and they'll take care of you I am sure to include re-flashing your car if needed.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
JKresh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Dinan has to "learn" the car and understand that can take anywhere from a couple of hundred miles to 1k or so with some folks. With my Stage 1 install; I luckily had a 2hr drive back from Portland to Seattle to let the Dinan learn the car. Now with my Stage 3; I think it took about a week of daily driving for me to "feel" the effects. Remember also you are in still within the "breakin" period on your car and so a lot of things are still getting broken in with your car. That is also one big reason whey I waited till around 2500 miles to do my Dinan Stage 1 and Eissenman exhaust [despite assurances from dealers and others that it was okay to do right off the lot]. Your car does need to break in and get the various mechanicals working in harmony so to add Dinan and other major mods before that has happened IMHO just opens you up to issues like you are having where you feel the car is not performing as planned/thought/expected.

My advice would be to go back to your dealer after a week and have them check the software as well as call Dinan who I believe should have your vehicle/VIN in their registry as an uploaded and covered car for your Stage 1. Contact your Dinan regional rep and they'll take care of you I am sure to include re-flashing your car if needed.
thank you will do! will report back!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Also, if your Dinan Stage 2 is installed, your Efficient Dynamics indicator on the dash will not work meaning it won't go into the blue zone on the MPG indicator. This is a fact!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast
Also, if your Dinan Stage 2 is installed, your Efficient Dynamics indicator on the dash will not work meaning it won't go into the blue zone on the MPG indicator. This is a fact!!
Not sure how this is a fact. ED indicator works well on my car.
      03-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
WhiteWalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

The ED meter still works on my car w/ stage 2 as well.

To the other comments -- I absolutely thought my car somehow de-tuned itself in the early days. It absolutely seems to be a living, learning thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Tuffyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Agree it might take a little time- a week seems sufficient. For peace of mind call Dinan Monday and give them your vin.

Your car is registered with them
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
JKresh
Private
Rep

feels stronger today almost 300 miles on the clock.
filled up with 93 at shell
still the low end off the line feels weak.
feels like i hit the floor too fast, its tuned i can feel it, is it 100% yet I dont think so, I will give it another week and I will call dinan monday to confirm the vin number.

i find it odd they dont give you paperwork or a sticker or anything to confirm the dinan is installed.

I was pissed my NA tried to charge me 3800 for it when it was 2947, cost is about 2200
other then this, the car is so amazing im in love, i dont miss the m3 at all - well except in turns! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Boardman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKresh View Post
really?
They put this on mine Friday.

Appreciate 0