2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 Headlights/Rear Light Upgrade!!!

03-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #89
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
Have a look at this, says in the brochure that if VDC is present you will have a comfort mode, if VDC isn't present you will just have Normal and Sports mode. I have Eco Pro, Comfort, Comfort+, Sports, Sports+.

Hope this helps!!
Once again, this is for pre LCI Cars. Adaptive drive is not the same as VDC. I'm not sure why you keep telling me that I have VDC, I definitely don't but I have sports mode, comfort mode and Eco mode, and the switch. I have an LCI car, no sports auto box as I don't believe it's available anymore. You may well be right for your car, but that is not the same as for LCI cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #90
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks
Quote:
Have a look at this, says in the brochure that if VDC is present you will have a comfort mode, if VDC isn't present you will just have Normal and Sports mode. I have Eco Pro, Comfort, Comfort+, Sports, Sports+.

Hope this helps!!
Once again, this is for pre LCI Cars. Adaptive drive is not the same as VDC. I'm not sure why you keep telling me that I have VDC, I definitely don't but I have sports mode, comfort mode and Eco mode, and the switch. I have an LCI car, no sports auto box as I don't believe it's available anymore. You may well be right for your car, but that is not the same as for LCI cars.
oh I didn't realise you had LCI.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #91
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

youknowluke
Any update on your headlight situation?

My car is pimped and look really nice. Exception is halo rings on sunny days!
      04-11-2015, 04:11 AM   #92
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
youknowluke
Any update on your headlight situation?

My car is pimped and look really nice. Exception is halo rings on sunny days!
Everything on hold at the moment due to the car sucking up my money tyres, brake pads, service all at the same time. I'm sure you know how it is. I'll keep this updated but I'm not planning anything before my holiday in May to USA!! Wooo petrol car land
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #93
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Everything on hold at the moment due to the car sucking up my money tyres, brake pads, service all at the same time. I'm sure you know how it is. I'll keep this updated but I'm not planning anything before my holiday in May to USA!! Wooo petrol car land
Where you going?

I'm off the New York in May!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #94
andyhazza
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M Sport

Quote:
Jealous! I was in Boston last September/October, and the hire car we had was some god awful Lincoln that looked like a funeral car! But it had a massive stonking engine, and when it came to fill up the tank, it only cost 30 or 40 bucks! Damn our stupid petrol prices! Damn them!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #95
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Im off touring Florida for the second time this time west coast.

I'm hiring a mustang last time we took the mustang back and upgraded to a Camaro SS 6.2l V8 convertible was soo good had about 400hp was a blast. I saw an M5 in the Hertz garage last time so this time I'm gonna try upgrade to something German they offered me a Porsche for the same price but mine and my girlfriends bags would not fit in the front of it!!!! needless to say the Camaro was spot on top of the range and the noise when you started the thing in the morning was epic! it was in red aswell my favourite colour. Fingers crossed for this year! what car you hiring in NY

That's a shame I've been to Michigan and I got lumbered with a bad car, I'm flying into Orlando which because of its tourism the car collections at the rental places are massive. Hertz is the biggest that's why I go with them. However I would rent with Sixt but I'm not old enough there the best all the cars are BMWs even in USA!! have a look. But if renting in USA Sixt is your best option rent an X5 for $800 for 2 weeks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #96
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Im off touring Florida for the second time this time west coast.

I'm hiring a mustang last time we took the mustang back and upgraded to a Camaro SS 6.2l V8 convertible was soo good had about 400hp was a blast. I saw an M5 in the Hertz garage last time so this time I'm gonna try upgrade to something German they offered me a Porsche for the same price but mine and my girlfriends bags would not fit in the front of it!!!! needless to say the Camaro was spot on top of the range and the noise when you started the thing in the morning was epic! it was in red aswell my favourite colour. Fingers crossed for this year! what car you hiring in NY

That's a shame I've been to Michigan and I got lumbered with a bad car, I'm flying into Orlando which because of its tourism the car collections at the rental places are massive. Hertz is the biggest that's why I go with them. However I would rent with Sixt but I'm not old enough there the best all the cars are BMWs even in USA!! have a look. But if renting in USA Sixt is your best option rent an X5 for $800 for 2 weeks!
I'm not renting in NY, don't think it's worth it. Just booked return limo transfers from the airport and will use the subway/water taxis/walk. Would definitely like to do a florida fly drive some day too though
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:22 AM   #97
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

Thread Revival... lol

So what's the situation OP have you had your Xenons fitted yet? Did the VDC come in handy for the conversion?

M Style are pants mate, and that's putting it politely. An associate of mine used to work there and I can tell you now, monkey with a wrench is putting it lightly.

Daylight robbery in terms of price and their customer service is a sham as well.

By the way, the LCIs all come with that button regardless of the options spec'd out. Only difference is the SPORT + only appears on the M Sport models and it simply switches off the safety systems for more brute force driving.

Anyway, I would like to hear back as to how your conversion has panned out.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #98
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

AFAIK
There are two cars in Uk which has xenon conversions.
First one by Dutch guy (something like Peter ver dan etc) and second one is mine.
Quite a lot involved but loved the outcome especially bright DRLs compared to standard light.

Mind you there is not a single documentation which highlights what is involved and what coding is required. I had to spend countless hours on this project and enjoying it.

Last edited by makkan00; 06-02-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #99
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK
There are two cars in Uk which has xenon conversions.
First one by Dutch guy (something like ver dan etc) and second one is mine.
Quite a lot involved but loved the outcome especially bright DRLs compared to standard light.

Mind you there is not a single documentation which highlights what is involved and what coding is required. I had to spent countless hours on this project and enjoying it.
Did you go for LCI Xenons or old Xenons with LED indicator ? if honest I like the look of the LCI more with the eyebrow looks newer. Mind you I do like the amber markers on the old Xenons but the frosted led indicator looks abit retro for my taste.

Good work!!

I've given up on the lights completely now as its summer and I'm never using the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #100
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did you go for LCI Xenons or old Xenons with LED indicator ? if honest I like the look of the LCI more with the eyebrow looks newer. Mind you I do like the amber markers on the old Xenons but the frosted led indicator looks abit retro for my taste.

Good work!!

I've given up on the lights completely now as its summer and I'm never using the headlights.
I stayed with pre-LCI headlights. They have eyebrows as well but not as well lit as LCI cars.

Also, there is colour difference in LCI car as they are more bluish 6000K whereas pre-LCI is whitish (5000K).

LCI headlights require much more work and perhaps swapping few modules especially gateway to have KCAN 3.

BMW is clever as they are using Lin bus system to activate few things. Those times are gone when you had physical wiring for each part of headlight. Now its sent via Lin bus and module at the bottom of headlight does the rest of work.
      06-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #101
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good work!!

I stayed with pre-LCI headlights. They have eyebrows as well but not as well lit as LCI cars.

Also, there is colour difference in LCI car as they are more bluish 6000K whereas pre-LCI is whitish (5000K).

LCI headlights require much more work and perhaps swapping few modules especially gateway to have KCAN 3.

BMW is clever as they are using Lin bus system to activate few things. Those times are gone when you had physical wiring for each part of headlight. Now its sent via Lin bus and module at the bottom of headlight does the rest of work.
I know a guy local to me who converted his F10 from halogen to pre LCI xenon. He said he would do it for me for £400 if I provide headlights with all modules. He reckons he can do LCI ones aswell for the same price he says he done LCI ones aswell.

Unless I see any going majorly cheap I don't think it's worth it for me. I just drive with the lights on auto, coded set to least sensitive, and I did have the drl set to angel rings but I just turn the drl off and have no lights running during the day the auto lights only turn on when it's dark now it's brilliant!
Appreciate 0