2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum slow puncture - car does warning which tyre - /replacement valve +metal cap

08-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

slow puncture - car does warning which tyre - /replacement valve +metal cap

In another thread mentioned about getting warnings from the car about a flat tyre but complaining it didn't say which one (I don't have TPMS)
Well now it has stated which one has low pressure (rear right)

So looke like after only 2000 miles, I need to get a new tyre.
Luckily it would seem to be s low leak so been able to just pump up theair again and contine on againwithout any warnings

For those of you thathave had to replace a tyre, the valve and cap , have the replacemnts matched the others that areon teh car from new?
i.e. get that metal valve cap.

On tyre replavements in the past I just got a rather cheap looking platic cap.
Want it to match the others , do BMW supply these or are these industry standard?

Just fussy to make sure it matches the other wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

The cap is the same thread as the plastic ones. Just put the metal one back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep

cheers
I'll need to get this sorted , just looking at prices and I nearly feel off my chair!
Similar tyres were around £350 plus fitting on top, so not very cheap at all
(thats a 275/24 R19 Y )
I've got Michellin Primacy on my at present so need to get one of those to match.

I'll get a bm delaership to sort this out for me.
I doubt I'll be able to claim for this under warranty - I doubt very much its a tyre defect as such.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Farmerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Even BMW dealers fit the industry standard plastic ones. My advice is remove alloy cap before car goes in. Theft of the alloy caps was a problem in UK as boys wanted them for their push bikes. My local dealer sells replacement caps and has a box that must hold thousands, he said that he bees such a big box to keep up with demand.
The standard UK TPWS sounds an alarm and indicates which the is flat. It went off on Good Friday. As the Easter holiday is a public holiday in UK could not get booked in till following Tuesday. Drove to dealers with completely flat tyre which was replaces then came bad news my other rear also has a screw in it and was also at zero pressure. No second alarm shown. The system uses ABS data to compare rotation so when fist tyre went flat alarm sounded, I assume the second tyre went down more slowly and was flat by Tuesday with both at zero system would not recognise any difference in rotational speed and hence no alarm. Flat tyres have smaller overall diameter so rotate faster is a simple explanation of how system works.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Personally I wouldn't let the dealer sell you a new tyre. The mark up they have on them is absolutely massive and most will only get a mobile fitter in to fit it anyway and tell you they fitted it. I was in my dealer once while he sold some one an NCT5 runflat for an E60 and it was about £130 dearer than online prices fitted.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
If you read your tire warranty packet, the manufacturer would replace the tire, not sure which causes it would cover as long it's not below 4/32.

It's worth to check it out to save you around 400$.
      08-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

thanks, I'll certianly ask about warranty
, got nothing to lose.
Appreciate 0