2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Tuned n63 Long term reliability?

06-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Sleeper550
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Tuned n63 Long term reliability?

Greeting folks! New to the BMW world. Historically, I've been a Ford Guy (Still Am) I've owned multiple mustangs Fox Bodies, Bullitt, Mach 1, Terminator, 2013 5.0. Multiple SVT Lightning F150's both 1st and 2nd Gen, and a SVT Raptor currently, SVT Focus, Taurus SHO (Old and New) and more.

Recently, I came into a deal I couldn't refuse on a 2011 550i that's loaded to the hilt. Merino Leather, HUD, Heated Steering wheel, Black window trim, sunshades, Upgraded Audio etc. Upon reading about the n63 engine horror stories I almost ran from this car but I contacted my local Dealer and they explained that the CCP had been done on the vehicle and as long as i'm diligent with regards to oil changes their pretty good cars and should be just as reliable as any other BMW. So i'd decided to take the gamble, as the car is just too damn nice and for as heavy as they are deceivingly fast for the weight of the car and the amount of Luxury.

I've done some reading here and there and looks like a few tuning options are available 1 process of removing and sending in the ECU to get it flashed and another "Piggy back" style via BMS stage 1/2 Looks like Badblack550xi is a pretty active member with regards to this sort of topic.

My question is basically, how many miles do guys have on a tuned n63 either stage 1 or stage 2?, the more the info the better. I'm fully aware that anytime you tune you're subjecting the car to additional stress outside of what it was designed to handle and it's always a risk. That being said, I'm looking for a decent sample size to aid me in making my decision. This is my wifes car and will likely only be beat on when I'm driving. I have a habit of not being able to leave anything stock so far I haven't gotten myself into too much hot water. Last thing I want to start with is a car as expensive as this.

I'm not looking to go all out with catless down pipes, full exhaust, bigger turbo's etc, In fact I want to keep this car as quiet as possible because I think it's a killer sleeper as well as unassuming to LEO.

Appreciate any and all feedback and must say I'm over the moon with this car and it has won a diehard Ford loyalist over and then some. Excited to hear what you folks have to say.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Sleeper550
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
I've been tuned for 40k, no issues at all so far and I'm at 83k stage 2 on aggressive mode for all of those 40k miles

Thanks so much for your reply!

I was curious about the "aggressive" adjustment on the stage 2 module. Does it require 91/93+ Torco or do these cars(tuned) have the ability to advance and retard timing based upon knock? In other words, it will self adjust to whatever octane mixture your throwing at it? (I did read that e85 isn't an option due to pump duty cycle limitations)

Also, unlike any other car I've owned over the years.... the difference from regular drive and comfort to sport+ and the stick pulled into manual is quite drastic and I like that my wife can leave it like normal and it drives very docile. Does this feature remain once you do stage 1/stage 2 ?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

i've had my stage 1 for about 30k miles and no issues, couple hiccups here and there but once the CCP was done it was solid, then recently for the pass 1k mile i've been feeling a misfire so I gotta see whats up with that.
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

I've been on stage 2 for 35k about (stock settings). No issues besides a coilpack and plugs. Had intake/Alpina turbos on for the last 5k.

Also I'm up to 70k miles at this point and she's still reliable!

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

On stage 1 for about 15k miles. No issues, absolutely love it, car pulls like a train. Start with stage 1 first, you might not crave any more power after that.

But if you do ending up wanting more power after stage 1 but want to keep the car quiet, keep the exhaust stock and add some catted Downpipes to accompany the bms stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Sleeper550
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the insight fella's.

When you say (stock settings) is this stage do with the aggressiveness set on the default location ?

As for craving power, I've had some far faster cars. I'm just weighing the power vs. reliability gamble. seems like more people are stage 2. I'll prob keep all the exhaust stock for the quietness factor even though it'll limit the power potential.
Appreciate 0