2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Plastidip vs. Vinyl: Someone Settle This Debate

09-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #23
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
Void warranties? Wow, now that's just sad (sorry to be harsh). Under no way should powder coating be any sort of means to void a warranty lol. It's like saying painting your badges or trims voids the warranty.
He said painting was fine. Powder coating is what can void. And, not entire vehicle warranty; just things directly related to coated product. SA alleged that process somehow weakens metal. I was not ready to immediately believe that process does, but was inclined to believe BMW would use any excuse to not cover costs. Plus, the same SA changed my complaint wording so my unscheduled service would be covered under maintenance.

Last edited by Almaretto; 09-11-2016 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #24
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
He said painting was fine. Powder coating is what can void. And, not entire vehicle warranty; just things directly related to coated product. SA alleged that process somehow weakens metal. I was not ready to immediately believe that process does, but was inclined to believe BMW would use any excuse to not cover costs. Plus, the same SA changed my complaint wording so my unscheduled service would be covered under maintenance.
I see. Still, powder coating in no way really compromises the metal, maybe unless you're doing it 100x on one wheel.

However, good to know your SA is watching out for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #25
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
I see. Still, powder coating in no way really compromises the metal, maybe unless you're doing it 100x on one wheel.

However, good to know your SA is watching out for you.
I just ran a quick search. Some said it had to do with sandblasting or those shops that powder coat at higher temps (eg 400 degrees) or for extended periods. Additionally, BMW does offer some black wheels and it made me wonder which process was used for them.

Back to topic, even with skilled installer, I think Vinyl will look better; especially if wrapping entire vehicle..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I guarantee if you get up close to that Audi the "paint" will look about as refined as the price of it insinuates. I'm cool with plastidipping areas of a car, but the whole car just seems to wrong. I'm not a big vinyl fan for the record either, but I think the finish and overall sheen should/would look more consistent than plastidip.

Plus, if anyone asks "what paint is that" you have to say "plasti-dip". Talk about talking your car down to the lowest depths.
Agree with every word.
      09-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #27
Silent_308
Knees in the Breeze
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Both have their drawbacks, in my opinion Plastidip is for small items such as motorcycle fenders, wheels, accent parts, ect. I'd never Plastidip an entire car. The reason I feel people do Plastidip an entire car is cause it's cheaper than paying for a real paint job, and it's semi reversible. Vinyl on the other hand I would use to do an entire car or large portions of a car. Vinyl gives you the same options as Plastidip as far as revsibility, but with vinyl your your options as far as style are far greater, it's more durable, and when done right, can look just like paint.

As far as the choice, for me it depends on the application. If you build a drift car or track bike, Plastidip, or if you want to change the look of your rims, Plastidip. If you want to change the color of your car, go with vinyl, you want have a carbon fiber roof but don't want to pay for custom hand laid CF, go with vinyl. Plastidip to me like everyone looks cheap if you put it on too wide of an area...

"PLF and PFL are interchangeable terms when it comes to Holland DZ" -1SG Bailey 319th AFAR
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #28
bimmer722
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintReality View Post
Autoflex. End of story.
A complete game changer in the dipping game. I think it will be better than vinyl and cheaper to install.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #29
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Just dipped my car for the first time. Did a bad ass job, if I may say so.

All my buddies that see it in person think it's vinyl wrapped. Dip is a good DIY, inexpensive and holds up good . Costed me 400 for the dip kit, including the spray gun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #30
gulfstream69xr7
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Just did the shadow trim on the windows and it came out great! I went with gloss black for the fact I can use the left over pieces to do the door...front reflectors...and side trim.
Did you use vinyl or dip?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #31
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstream69xr7 View Post
Did you use vinyl or dip?
vinyl! it was referred to me from a fellow member here

http://www.shadowlinetrim.com/
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #32
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

plastidip Looks like shit I wouldn't paint my wheelbarrow with it
Vinyl is nice as long as you buy good quality
      09-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #33
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 550i

Quote:
Interesting how this thread was revived from so long ago... lol.

I've seen autoflex in person. Looks great from a few feet away, but still when I come close, the orange peel gives it away. Autoflex has brought liquid vinyl a long way, but I firmly believe vinyl will still have the edge for now.
Autoflex lays smoother than oem paint so you either seen a bad plasti dip job or a horrible autoflex job. The good thing about autoflex is that the imperfections, if any, can be wet sanded and polished like normal paint, giving a flawless glass finish.

Google autoflex images and you will see nothing but perfection and close ups at that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #34
belarus27
Private
Rep
Drives: E550

plasti dip is for small details on the car , trim , emblems , grill , some moldings, wheels
vinyl wrap if you wanna do the whole car.
no brainer.

even tho plasti dip looks aite if do the whole car... but....
Appreciate 0