2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum iPod & USB adapter necessary?

04-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
bajiaomao
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive GT

Question iPod & USB adapter necessary?

Glad to find a GT forum here. I am almost ready to place an order of 2011 535i Xdrive GT after having had 2 test drive recently. One question I had is the iPod & USB adapter option. It costs 400 but I have tried Connecting the iPhone 4 with the cable came with Apple. It worked fine. The drive system loaded the music library and charged the phone. However, I didn't bring an auxiliary cable with me while testing, but assume that if I connect the iPhone with the Apple USB cable and an auxiliary cable, everything should work just fine. I guess I just want to confirm that before removing the adapter option. The car will come with the USB and Aux port in the center compartment even without the iPod & USB adapter option right?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
johnnyutah
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT xdrive

Pretty sure they all come with the ports in the arm rest. I didn't go for the adapter option and was pleasantly surprised when my dealer showed me that I could still hook up my ipod via the ports in the arm rest and have it work directly from the iDrive system. He even threw in the adapter cable BMW sells for just such a purpose.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
bajiaomao
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive GT

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
simon530d GT
Rep
Drives: 530d GT

Def need Y cable for iPhone
USB only works for iPlayer

Got T shirt for that yesterday
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Mine's still working its way from Germany after picking it up and driving it around there. But, when I looked in the center console, all I saw was an aux input (audio) jack, no USB port. There is a USB port in the glovebox, though.

The specific phone adapters do multiple things: connect it to an external antenna for the cellphone, charge it, and connect it via digital means.

The vehicle is capable of doing streaming bluetooth (you get that option when you pair it, so not only the phone part will work but audio as well), and streaming BT may be a reasonable way to go instead of the cable. Not sure what functionality differences there may be in the various ways you attach it though.

I did not opt for the smartphone interface, but I bought a new phone after...not sure how it will work, but expect it to work fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
BaltimoreGT
Rep
Drives: 550i GT/black/Sport pkg/20"

my car had the adaptor in the arm rest box. Car has audio and USB inputs. Combined
they drive an ipod just fine and get music playback. I assume phone will work the same, although I am unsure if you could place a call.

why don't you try at the stealership?
Appreciate 0