2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New to forum and BMW

07-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Bazn
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 Alpine White 520d SE

New to forum and BMW

Thought I'd add a bit of an introductory thread here, I'm new to the forum and to owning a BMW - most of my motoring life has been spent in Fords/Vauxhalls. Got to the stage where I wanted to treat myself to a better class of car and actually came across the forum whilst researching e93's for the wife.

We decided against the e93 as although it wouldn't be our main car, having 3 kids ruled it out for those occasions we do have to use it for taking all of us! That brought us to looking at the 5 Series - plan was to go out and find an F10 MSport in a dark colour (not too fussed on engine type due to the use it will get).

We viewed a few MSports, but ended up falling in love with an Alpine White 520d SE - none of the major points we were looking for!!

Loved the car the first two weeks - smooth to drive, beautiful, etc. did the basics of adding mats and flaps (don't like the look of flaps on it but is better to stop some of the filth!). It's now spent the past week and a half at the garage getting repairs - snapped coil spring in the rear suspension and blowing exhaust (corroded from the cat-back). Not what I expect from a BMW...

Hopefully getting the motor back this week - but have I bought a lemon or is this representative of all BMW?! I love the car and can't wait to get it back, it just has me worried of what else will go wrong.

Once I get it back and am happy nothing else is going to go wrong, I'll be thinking of what subtle mods I can do - so far I'm thinking:
- Alloys - the standard 17's don't do it for me
- boot spoiler - not sure if I want body coloured here, are there any recommendations for manufacturer/styles
- front lip - although the SE front is growing on me (prefer the back end to the MSport anyway) it does feel it's missing something, what are the options for additions on the SE/are there any?!
- side repeater insert/front grill - we have the shadow trim on the windows so the chrome looks out of place but not sure I want to go down the black/white theme when replacing them any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the long thread, just keen to get opinions whilst I gather info and my own thoughts!

Cheers,
Barry
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:11 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Congrats on your f10. I have not heard about the problems you're having before on the f10, is it a high mileage car?

I've painted the side repeater insert same colour as my car, Alpine White.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Bazn
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice car you have there Remmib - do you have any links to more pictures?

How have the painted side repeaters stood up? i.e. has there been any flaking of paint, etc.

Car is 50k miles at 3 years old so probably higher than average but not astronomical...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Snapped springs seems to be a common occurrence across the BMW range, E85 and E9x especially.
From another Alpine White owner I prefer it to the darker colours.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

1st, A warm welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear your having problems, did you get a warranty with the car, have you considered looking at an extended warranty through BMW, worth doing.

Although I have a F11, I got the side indicators painted, when you try to remove them the clips break, well in my case they did, so I ended up getting some new indicators from BMW, had them painted properly. There is lots of bits out there if your looking at tarting /modifying the car slightly. Lets have more photo's as well....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
Bazn
United Kingdom
Rep

Un1eash - I also prefer the white over some darker shades, I've always been torn on white as a colour, but the white against the smoked windows really made it stand out. Pleased we took the plunge on it as the wife was dead against white when we first started looking!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Bazn
United Kingdom
Rep

Steve - thanks for the welcome! Your indicators look great, I'm still undecided on the chrome on mine, walked past it earlier at work and thought they looked ok - I seem to sway every time I look!!

The car was still under the dealer (and manufacturer) warrantee so all been covered - about £2k of work in the springs and exhaust! Will be looking at warrantees for when these ones run out in Sept.

I'll take some pics once I've got it all cleaned up - not had a chance yet to give her a good going over!

So far I've added some mudflaps (not exciting I know!), transferred my personal plate with spanky new pressed plates and debadged the rear. All small things but make it personal and feel more like my car the way I want it!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

My painted side repeaters holds up perfectly.
Look im my profile and you will find my thread about the f10 with lots of pics.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i

Hello and welcome from another alpine white owner. I went the black and white route and wrapped the door handle trims and the indicator surround gloss black but i also brought gloss black badges for the rear too.

When i brought it black kidney grills had already been installed.

Appreciate 0