2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Auto box kickdown seems slow

02-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #23
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
Thanks John, I take your point completely however I can't understand why you have felt the need to be easy on the engine with 4500 miles on the clock!
I don't think you're quite with me here, if you re-read my post you'll see that I'm now really opening it up and that I don't feel the need to take it easy any more.
This is because I adopted a progressive run-in procedure - specifically: keeping well below 3,500 RPM for the first 1,200 miles and thereafter gradually increasing the revs, whilst at varying the engine and road speeds as much as possible throughout the process.
This has, in no small part, resulted in an engine that is sublimely smooth, immensely powerful and extremely responsive.
I think I also mentioned that there has been no discernible oil consumption!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #24
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

also followed the run in process (now at 1400 miles) and the engine just gets better. throttle response is 100x better than previous generation BMW auto boxes and has far exceeded my expectations.

I mostly drive around like a big wuss but the odd times i've ventured into Sport mode things get very frantic and that's coming from a lowly 530d can't compete with the 535d but does me fine and to me at least seems to pull like a train and has all the real world speed I need for my driving style.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
also followed the run in process (now at 1400 miles) and the engine just gets better. throttle response is 100x better than previous generation BMW auto boxes and has far exceeded my expectations.

I mostly drive around like a big wuss but the odd times i've ventured into Sport mode things get very frantic and that's coming from a lowly 530d can't compete with the 535d but does me fine and to me at least seems to pull like a train and has all the real world speed I need for my driving style.
They're both terrific engines and your 530d certainly wouldn't be very far behind my 535d. The main reasons I opted for the latter are the vastly reduced turbo lag, immense mid-range pull and slightly smoother running.
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #26
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Thanks guys all points taken on board. This is my first brand new car in over a decade, it seems that the engine and gearbox do change for the better after a period of run in. I just need to be patient and observe the running in procedure!