2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What is the preparation process, once the dealer has received a new car?

02-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Ewymac
Ewymac
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d se sports auto on order

What is the preparation process, once the dealer has received a new car?

My dealer is receiving my car on the 2nd March and I would like to collect it on the 5th. Will the dealer have enough time to complete preparation? Can anybody shed some light on the processes involved?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ewymac; 02-18-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
In my case, the dealer didn't really have to do much of anything. Maybe wash it and take off some packaging. In the U.S., most of the prep work is done by the dedicated prep center at the port where the car comes in. At least that's my understanding. My dealer only needed the car about a day to prep it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi Msport

Just tell them not to wash/wax the car. They WILL scratch the paint. They will pick the first mit off the floor and will start applying some crap. They will ruin the paintjob 100%.
My dealer had to buff out all the micro scratches they put in AND deep to the primer scratches on the fender had to be repaired. Someone had their zipper rubbing on the fender when they "waxed".

The PDI prep includes charging battery for 24 hrs flushing soft may be and a few other little things. 2 days is usually enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewymac View Post
My dealer is receiving my car on the 2nd March and I would like to collect it on the 5th. Will the dealer have enough time to complete preparation? Can anybody shed some light on the processes involved?

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:

Many thanks in advance.
Just tell your dealer in advance that you would like to get the car on the 5th and they should have no probelem getting it ready. They do the final prep on the car by taking out all the plastic, wash the car, and do all the paperwork to get the car into their system. There really isn't a whole lot to do.

Only suggestion is to not rush the delivery and to check the car over head to toe to make absolutely sure everything is to your liking. 2 weeks to go!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Many thanks in advance.
Just tell your dealer in advance that you would like to get the car on the 5th and they should have no probelem getting it ready. They do the final prep on the car by taking out all the plastic, wash the car, and do all the paperwork to get the car into their system. There really isn't a whole lot to do.

Only suggestion is to not rush the delivery and to check the car over head to toe to make absolutely sure everything is to your liking. 2 weeks to go!

OH another thing...............pray it does not Snow on the 4th!: lol:
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

It takes a couple days to reinstall the steering wheel on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
GGPlena
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
It takes a couple days to reinstall the steering wheel on the passenger side.
Wut?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.S. View Post
Just tell them not to wash/wax the car. They WILL scratch the paint. They will pick the first mit off the floor and will start applying some crap. They will ruin the paintjob 100%.
My dealer had to buff out all the micro scratches they put in AND deep to the primer scratches on the fender had to be repaired. Someone had their zipper rubbing on the fender when they "waxed".

The PDI prep includes charging battery for 24 hrs flushing soft may be and a few other little things. 2 days is usually enough
+1

If you want your car to look it's best find a local professional detailer to perform what they normally call a "new car prep detail".

Your BMW dealers valets will ruin the paint. Ok maybe ruin is a strong word but trust me they won't give it the treatment it could receive and should receive and when they've finished the clear coat will look like a series of dancing on ice has been played out on it. I know one dealer close to me that has there own car wash!!!! And they put new cars through it as part of the pdi.

I used Paul Dalton @ miracle detail www.miracledetail.co.uk to prep my car. He spent 2 days on it but the car looked amazing when I collected it and the wax finish coat he applied is unreal.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
Ewymac
Ewymac
United Kingdom
Rep

Thx fellas for info, I will inform them not to wash!! Unfortunately no extra cash for fancy detailing. Pushed the boat out to get the car!!

I will have to train myself up on detailing and do it myself!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Thx fellas for info, I will inform them not to wash!! Unfortunately no extra cash for fancy detailing. Pushed the boat out to get the car!!

Have a look at this website: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/
As it happens, they're just down the road from me and I find them really helpful, but there's a wealth of knowledge and product advice on the site.
On their recommendation I declined the dealer applied £300 'supagard' and spent £15 on a bottle of 'Werkstat' instead.
It's really easy to use - spray on/wipe off and the car still looks great, having been through a Scottish winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:

It's a car, not a commitment to servitude! Obsession with the outer surfaces of an object like this cannot end well. Might as well let the dealer have his way with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Quote:

It's a car, not a commitment to servitude! Obsession with the outer surfaces of an object like this cannot end well. Might as well let the dealer have his way with it.
If mine was a company car and I had not forked out my own hard earned cash I might agree a bit but only a bit.

End of the day each to their own. I know how to wash a car without inducing swirl marks but not much I can do if the dealers valets have already covered every panel in them. So simple solution, tell them to leave well alone, pay a pro to do initial prep pdi work on exterior and interior and then maintain yourself from that good starting point.

That's always been my way works for me
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Ewymac
Ewymac
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
+1

If you want your car to look it's best find a local professional detailer to perform what they normally call a "new car prep detail".

Your BMW dealers valets will ruin the paint. Ok maybe ruin is a strong word but trust me they won't give it the treatment it could receive and should receive and when they've finished the clear coat will look like a series of dancing on ice has been played out on it. I know one dealer close to me that has there own car wash!!!! And they put new cars through it as part of the pdi.

I used Paul Dalton @ miracle detail www.miracledetail.co.uk to prep my car. He spent 2 days on it but the car looked amazing when I collected it and the wax finish coat he applied is unreal.
How much did he charge?? Or how much should I expect to pay?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
to each their own ... I do love when my car looks great. Makes me feel good. I do love to spend some time washing / detailing my car as it gives me a chance to get away from my work once in a while. - so yeah ... I do enjoy the distraction it provides.
Some may hate the washing/detailing some love.
but the consensus is - no matter if you do it yourself or let a professional detailer do it - don't allow the dealer wash/wax the car , they will put scratches on the paint that don't have to be there.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
carlr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i

I think some serious detailing is worth while, I'm rolling mine straight from the dealers to the nearest DITEC Centre and let them work on it for for two days. Provides excellent protection and finish with a 6 years warranty on the top coat!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
jamier9
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Have a look at this website: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/
As it happens, they're just down the road from me and I find them really helpful, but there's a wealth of knowledge and product advice on the site.
On their recommendation I declined the dealer applied £300 'supagard' and spent £15 on a bottle of 'Werkstat' instead.
It's really easy to use - spray on/wipe off and the car still looks great, having been through a Scottish winter.
I went to the website you listed, exactly which 'Werkstat' did you get? I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning, so a quick fix would be great.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Unless you know otherwise, your dealer should be fine with washing the car. The one bad instance above is not usually the norm and they should be pretty careful about cleaning it. Otherwise as stated before, there is various plastic protectors in and around the car that need removal, and the dealer should fill up the tank for you as well. As far as the battery needing 24hr charging? I don't recall my dealer ever doing this....It's a new battery and should not need charging.

In my opinion, detailing the car right after delivery is a little bit over the top. The car is brand spankin new, what needs detailing? In addition, it's ususally a good idea not to do anything to the paint for at least a couple of months (from date of manufacture) untill it has fully cured. Then when you do have time to wax, you should at least "clay" the paint first to make sure the surface is as clean as the day it was painted.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #18
carlr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
In my opinion, detailing the car right after delivery is a little bit over the top. The car is brand spankin new, what needs detailing? In addition, it's ususally a good idea not to do anything to the paint for at least a couple of months (from date of manufacture) untill it has fully cured. Then when you do have time to wax, you should at least "clay" the paint first to make sure the surface is as clean as the day it was painted.
Not sure I fully agree, the paint is actually a good candidate for protection when it's spankin new. The poors in the paint will eventually be filled with oxide etc. and virtually impossible to fix once gone that far. Sealing the paint when it's brand new prevents oxide etc. from getting into the poors of the paint and will make it a lot easier to maintain (no waxing etc.) and also help preserve that spankin new look and feel. I have done DITEC treatments (these are the best ones in Sweden in my opinion, sure there are other systems out there) on all my brand new cars and I've been very happy with the results.

Just the part where you don't have to wax the car and do a lot of maintenance is worth it. Just take it to the shop every 18 months for a quick rub down and a new layer of top coat.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier9 View Post
I went to the website you listed, exactly which 'Werkstat' did you get? I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning, so a quick fix would be great.

Thanks.
Acrylic Jett, but that was recommended for lighter colours. However, if you're lazy about cleaning I wouldn't really bother, as well as heart and soul, time and effort are required in order to achieve a decent finish .
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Unless you know otherwise, your dealer should be fine with washing the car.

With a dark color car, it would be wise to take a look at the washing facilities at your dealer. One dirty sponge or drying cloth can leave swirls that will be a pain to remove later. Many are an assembly line that do not use two buckets nor dry the car properly. To many it may not matter or be noticed, but a dark car will show these marks which can be avoided.

Most detailing experts say a new car should be treated upon delivery and that cars that sit at the port, VPC and on trucks and then dealer lots do benefit from a clay job and sealant while in its then most pristine condition.
      02-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #21
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
With a dark color car, it would be wise to take a look at the washing facilities at your dealer. One dirty sponge or drying cloth can leave swirls that will be a pain to remove later. Many are an assembly line that do not use two buckets nor dry the car properly. To many it may not matter or be noticed, but a dark car will show these marks which can be avoided.

Most detailing experts say a new car should be treated upon delivery and that cars that sit at the port, VPC and on trucks and then dealer lots do benefit from a clay job and sealant while in its then most pristine condition.
I stand corrected and have been reading that most new car finishes are indeed fully cured as a result of High Temp baking at the factory. Probably makes sense with the ongoing improvements in technology. Guess I need to get claying and Wax or seal once the weather permits.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post

+1

Mine is dark graphite - a dirty terry cloth was used on it to wax at the dealer - result - paint ALL scratched up. (they fixed it the same day) It does not even take a bad dealership. It takes one guy who does not care or does not know enough to care and does not realize the consequences.
the first thing one should do to a brand new paint is to clay off the contaminants (i.e. metal particles that get buried in the paint during rail way transportation and then create rust spots )
Then clean and seal.

but above is only true for those that care and see the difference. For some - there is really no difference if their car looks pretty good or it looks amazing. Then the effort is wasted
Appreciate 0