2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Jet Black F10 - How to wash it...

09-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Jet Black F10 - How to wash it...

Hey folks, I brought this up in another thread, but thought it deserved a new thread. I have a Jet Black F10, and I want to know...

(1) What brand soap should I use to wash the car?

(2) What brand chamois/microfiber towel should I use to dry the car to completely AVOID CLEAR COAT SCRATCHES AND SWIRL MARRKS? Should I use the synthetic chamois, the Absorber? How about the California dry blades (but I heard those scratch a bit)?

(3) What brand wax and type of applicator should I use?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
jdmfrogg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Check the autogeek.net forum for ideas....
Here is what I do with success

Prep using a foam gun to soak and remove surface debris
Use a quality car soap that will not strip wax/sealant
Use 2 buckets, helps to have grit guards (autogeek)- 1 for soap 1 for wringing dirt off wash pad
Use non abrasive wash pad and wring often to ensure no dirt is trapped
Wash top of car first working down and saving the bottom for last.... Most dirt is on the lower portion
Always use left to right hand motions on the sides of the 5 and front to back on hood/trunk, ths way if you do get any fine scratches horizontal scratches are less vsible than circular swirls
Use the sheating process with your hose (no attachment) to remove most of the water
Follow up with a non abrasive drying pad... I use the cobra pads from autogeek
If your super anal, you can also use a leaf blower to eliminate contact with the paint
If your paint is perfect still.. No correction needed.. Use a good sealer. Everyone has their preference, I use zaino so I can layer and get depth on my dark graphite

If u need correction, Meg's 205 is god for minor cut, 105 for more bite... Only use if u are experienced!

Hope these suggestions help. Surf the forums for more ideas or product suggestions, sorry for typos/using an ipad
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Never use a chamois or "California blade". The only things that should be touching your paint are soft sponges (try a soft grout sponge) or microfiber. No brushes, blades, or leather.

My favorite drying towels are the waffle-weave microfiber towels from Detailed Image. You can get them online from their website along with anything else you may need.

My favorite paint sealant is Blackfire Wet Diamond. But like the previous poster said, everyone has their own favorite.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

The "Cobra Ultimate Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels" from Autopia-carcare.com, Amazon and various other places are insane, literally the best micofiber drying towels I've found. I've just ordered a few more in fact. They are pricy though at between $15-$35 based on size but worth it. I'm sure they are showing up all over with different names right now so probably the same as what ibimmer is suggesting.
      09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Last edited by LiveLarger; 09-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: duble post
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Easy, you do it as with all cars.

0: Soak car in surfex HD diluted 1:30 (needs to be in the shade and without any wind.)
1: Foam canon.
2: Rins of foam with a pressure washer.
3: Hand wash with a wash mitt and use the two bucket method. (google it)
4: Dry off with a two CC miracle dryers.
5: apply wax
Appreciate 0