2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Dragon Age: Origins

11-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
GordonShumway
Alien
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 330i

Dragon Age: Origins

Anybody play this game yet ?? It's got excellent reviews.......
      11-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

It's amazing, in all honesty I would pick this over MW2 for Game of the Year.
      11-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I've been playing it. And yes it is amazing. But it is a tough game at times. Even on Easy the game had challenge to it. (They actually just released a patch to make the easy easier.)

Lots of fun though.
      11-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
GordonShumway
Alien
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I've been playing it. And yes it is amazing. But it is a tough game at times. Even on Easy the game had challenge to it. (They actually just released a patch to make the easy easier.)

Lots of fun though.

Thanks.
      11-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
HiProfile Robs
CF JNKY
Rep
Drives: Z06

hmm i might have to pick this up sincei love RPG's
      11-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

On that note, this game is best on PC. Console controls are clunky and you don't get the strategic top-down view. It's still a good RPG on consoles, but if you have a choice, PC is the best option.
      11-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I dont like it that much. Gameplay is about 15 years outdated. Side quests are basic, go here, get this, bring back. The main story is typical, one man has to save the entire world stuff. The character development between party members is good and really funny, besides the stupid sex scene stuff.

Overall its a fun, challenging games to play through. But it doesnt bring anything new to the table. It feels like it was built for consoles. BG2 it is not. PC version all the way if you can.

If you like rpgs, then you will like DAO. If your a crazy old school hardcore rpg guy like me, then it leaves something to be desired. Play it though! Watch the trailer on youtube called "violence trailer" its awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Pink Taco
Doesn't get Pinker than this...
Rep
Drives: e90

Thinking of getting a copy for PC... Won't hurt to try
      11-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Taco View Post
Thinking of getting a copy for PC... Won't hurt to try
If you like rpgs you will like this. Just expect shallow gameplay and extremely long winded dialogue. Bioware makes a bit too much talking and not enough playing for my tastes. But I still recommend it. Ive been playing it for a few days in a row now!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

It's been called the successor to BG. But it is very heavy on the dialogue. Also, it took me a day or two to really get into it. Some nights I didn't even load it up, just didn't feel like it.

With that said, I think there is a bit of a learning curve. Perhaps partially for the gameplay but more for the genre and atmosphere of the game itself. It sounds like Prowess went through a similar curve as I did while playing. I was interested but never really fully absorbed into it in the beginning but as I played it grew a lot of me. Not to mention that you can't really do a whole lot combat wise (at least as a warrior) in the early levels. So getting more abilities was definitely key. Now I'm playing through the last arc of the campaign and things are really interesting and I can't wait to get home tonight to finally finish it. (This game has lasted me a whole week just for the single player. I can't remember the last game that did that. I beat torchlight in 1 evening.)

Also, Mages are OP.
      11-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I picked it up today thinking it would be something like Diablo or Baldur's Gate. It's not.

It reminds me of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Like SW:KotOR, you have a lot of chat sequences where you can change another character's disposition towards your main character.

I've only finished the part where you have to light a beacon in a tower, and made it across a bridge with bandits towards a town. The female mage character doesn't like the decisions I'm making, and has a lower disposition towards me. Remind anyone of KotOR?

Battles are like KotOR as well, as you can pause the action at any time to give commands. Although some KotOR fans may like this, I would have been happier with a Diablo/Baldur's Gate/Dungeon Siege like game.

I'm not feeling the story too much, but then again I've only started. I started as a Human Noble, but I suppose playing as a different race/class, etc., gives a different story.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
I picked it up today thinking it would be something like Diablo or Baldur's Gate. It's not.

It reminds me of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Like SW:KotOR, you have a lot of chat sequences where you can change another character's disposition towards your main character.

I've only finished the part where you have to light a beacon in a tower, and made it across a bridge with bandits towards a town. The female mage character doesn't like the decisions I'm making, and has a lower disposition towards me. Remind anyone of KotOR?

Battles are like KotOR as well, as you can pause the action at any time to give commands. Although some KotOR fans may like this, I would have been happier with a Diablo/Baldur's Gate/Dungeon Siege like game.

I'm not feeling the story too much, but then again I've only started. I started as a Human Noble, but I suppose playing as a different race/class, etc., gives a different story.
Its made by the same people as kotor, so yeah it plays like that. If you want a diablo or dungeon siege style hack n slash, you could try torchlight. That just came out and is one of the best diablo style games.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

This game is real tight, I'm loving it.

Not all that far though, but I will say Arcane Mage is the shit.
      11-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
This game is real tight, I'm loving it.

Not all that far though, but I will say Arcane Mage is the shit.
I cant take anything you say seriously with that avatar. jk

Game is difficult even on easy. Mages are very necessary. I haven't played through to the end yet, but im glad some of you are saying its good later one. Im probably half way through but i think dont im going to like it much more. Decent game, not great.

Anybody play drakensang?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I cant take anything you say seriously with that avatar. jk

Game is difficult even on easy. Mages are very necessary. I haven't played through to the end yet, but im glad some of you are saying its good later one. Im probably half way through but i think dont im going to like it much more. Decent game, not great.

Anybody play drakensang?
Did you download the DLC? Unlimited storage chest and a new recruit+ a bunch of other cool equips.

This game is right up my alley. Kind of like a Fable 2/Oblivion mix.

Tons of replay, tons of dialogue, nice customization. Graphics aren't all that up to spec, but I don't mind.

Arcane Warrior is badass because you can wear heavy armor/equip weapons and still cast magic. Best of both worlds.

...btw Styles is the F'in man.
      11-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
We may be having different experiences based on the characters we're playing. I agree, tons of replay if this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #17
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you download the DLC? Unlimited storage chest and a new recruit+ a bunch of other cool equips.

This game is right up my alley. Kind of like a Fable 2/Oblivion mix.

Tons of replay, tons of dialogue, nice customization. Graphics aren't all that up to spec, but I don't mind.

Arcane Warrior is badass because you can wear heavy armor/equip weapons and still cast magic. Best of both worlds.

...btw Styles is the F'in man.
The DLC isnt working for me, so im ignoring it for now. Im playing as a rogue/ranger/archer and it was too hard on normal, so now im rocking easy mode!

Yeah graphics are awful, but that dont really matter to me, I still play old games. I dont even know about the arcane warrior class, lol.

Quote:
We may be having different experiences based on the characters we're playing. I agree, tons of replay if this is the case.
I think that you could play the game as a different character, but would the different story choices really make a difference? In kotor the choices were obvious, in dragon age it seems like the choices I make dont really matter much.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #18
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I think that you could play the game as a different character, but would the different story choices really make a difference? In kotor the choices were obvious, in dragon age it seems like the choices I make dont really matter much.
I don't know because I havne't done it, but I was under the impression as a human noble, you would start in a wealthy place in society (hence, my character is of nobility). However, if you decided to be an elf (who seem to be placed lower on the social hierarchy of the game), you would start somewhere else, maybe a village?

Once again, I haven't started a second character, so I don't know. Did everyone else start in a castle being the son/daughter of a lord?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #19
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I can tell you I've done most of the "orgin" back stories. Some range from 45 mins to an hour, and some 1-3. I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to play as, so I kept starting over.

I'm usually not one that replays a game over and over, usually one time through and I'm done.....so I wanted to make sure I was making the right choice.

Some of them are more interesting than others, but you all end up in Ostagar no matter what happens.

And choices definitely affect your outcome. For example in the "nature of the beast" quest you can either side with the elves, or werewolves. Depending on which you chose, you'll either have werewolves or elves fighting for you in the final battle.

There's also romance (Morrigan is a sexy b****), party alignment, and other plot twists.

There's really only a couple endings though. One good, one bad, and some varieties in between. (Think I read somewhere around 5)

Overall I'm getting my $60 out of this game.

Last edited by Noc57; 11-12-2009 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #20
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Overall I'm getting my $60 out of this game.
Got mine for $39.99. Gamestop shows a buy price for $39.99 (PC). I went to Best Buy and bought it for PC, they matched the price at $39.99. Little did they know, that $39.99 price was supposed to be good only for online purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #21
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Got mine for $39.99. Gamestop shows a buy price for $39.99 (PC). I went to Best Buy and bought it for PC, they matched the price at $39.99. Little did they know, that $39.99 price was supposed to be good only for online purchase.
Lucky bastard.

I'm about to spend another $5-10 too for the DLC. (need that infinite storage dammit)

Sweet game though.
      11-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #22
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah I did the elf origin story which was cool. Im gonna beat the game and then just replay the origin stories. I wont go through the whole game more then once.

And yeah, although im not really attracted to computer girls, morrigan is awesome!! For the sequel, they should dump the other characters and just have you the morrigan going around doing stuff!
Appreciate 0