2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Winter tyres - how long or how many miles have they lasted?

03-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Winter tyres - how long or how many miles have they lasted?

Hi all

To all those who use winter tyres, how many miles have you got out of them before they needed changing and also how many years did they last?

My sottozeros were purchased in winter of 2013. I keep the winters on from Nov- March and have got approx 10k miles out of them. The tread wear is approx 5.6mm.

Is this reasonable wear?

What mm did you change yours and why? And also which brand has the best durability in your experience?

Thanks in advance

Sp.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Living in a snow belt off of Lake Erie requires me to put winter tires on my cars and almost every brand I've owned have done better than 10K miles. For awhile Bridgestone Blizzaks had a unique compound and were very popular. I typically got four or five winters out of each set that converts to about 20K - 25K miles. Recently, I've bought Generals (a Continental company) and Continentals and they seem to do as well as the Bridgestones in performance and wear, but are less expensive (especially the Generals).

When I was young, I lived in Lincolnshire and recall my father complaining about how the English roads tore up his tires. I seem to remember that he mentioned that the roads there used a lot of flint in the aggregate that really shortened the life of his Chevy tires. Also, country road there had about 10 curves per mile that have to be hard on tire life, so my experience here with winter tires may not be reflective of English driving.

In closing, it's been my experience that modern premium-branded winter tires are not that much better than off brands. Performance and wear do not necessarily match the higher costs.
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      03-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
N52 Moistenor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i RWD

if you want very long lasting winter tires get yokohama iceguard
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      03-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Like everything else, depends on the driving style, temperatures, how much snow are you actually driving on. Driving less on the actual snow, more on pavement and warm temperatures will accelerate wear, as well as aggressive driving of course.

My experience is that I went through high performance runflat Dunlop tire really fast. It was just an excellent performer, but did not last.
Now, my car is RWD, so, I'm not sure if wear with xDrive would perhaps be more even.

Nokian winter tires on the other hand, have never let me down. Absolutely stunning performance on snow and icy roads, and mine look in excellent shape after 2 winters (about 10-15K km per winter in my case). I had these in the past on different cars and comparing to only other winter tire I used, above mentioned Dunlop and Michelin X-Ice, by far the best and longest lasting one.
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      03-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Living in a snow belt off of Lake Erie requires me to put winter tires on my cars and almost every brand I've owned have done better than 10K miles. For awhile Bridgestone Blizzaks had a unique compound and were very popular. I typically got four or five winters out of each set that converts to about 20K - 25K miles. Recently, I've bought Generals (a Continental company) and Continentals and they seem to do as well as the Bridgestones in performance and wear, but are less expensive (especially the Generals).

When I was young, I lived in Lincolnshire and recall my father complaining about how the English roads tore up his tires. I seem to remember that he mentioned that the roads there used a lot of flint in the aggregate that really shortened the life of his Chevy tires. Also, country road there had about 10 curves per mile that have to be hard on tire life, so my experience here with winter tires may not be reflective of English driving.

In closing, it's been my experience that modern premium-branded winter tires are not that much better than off brands. Performance and wear do not necessarily match the higher costs.
Hi! We have Bridgestone Blizzaks on our one series so that's interesting to hear your thoughts on that esp you got four or five winters out of each set that converts to about 20K - 25K miles.

Nice to hear the comparison between Lincoln and USA.

I'm tempted to try the cheaper brands after hearing that the premium don't command the extra costs in terms of wear.

Thanks for your reply!
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52 Moistenor View Post
if you want very long lasting winter tires get yokohama iceguard
Hi

I forgot about yokos I will look them up also

Thanks for that!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Like everything else, depends on the driving style, temperatures, how much snow are you actually driving on. Driving less on the actual snow, more on pavement and warm temperatures will accelerate wear, as well as aggressive driving of course.

My experience is that I went through high performance runflat Dunlop tire really fast. It was just an excellent performer, but did not last.
Now, my car is RWD, so, I'm not sure if wear with xDrive would perhaps be more even.

Nokian winter tires on the other hand, have never let me down. Absolutely stunning performance on snow and icy roads, and mine look in excellent shape after 2 winters (about 10-15K km per winter in my case). I had these in the past on different cars and comparing to only other winter tire I used, above mentioned Dunlop and Michelin X-Ice, by far the best and longest lasting one.
Hi

I think despite the snow we've had it's not enough as you said which is accelerating the wear on them. I'm trying to limit warm temp use by changing them before the temp rises but as you said these tyres need the snow and ice not dry tarmac. Rain 🌧 has helped also!

Much rather have the snow!

Thanks for your reply!
Appreciate 0