2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK LCI 5 series spec

05-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
drnat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

LCI 5 series spec

Having thought about a 3er touring v 5er, think I am going for the facelift version of the latter.

Thinking about spec:

The 520d SE I drove on 17" alloys was a bit lacking in fun factor
530s M/Sport on 18" alloys was skittish

Thoughts about SE suspension on 18" alloys?

Not going for Vdc due to it changing gear ratios as part of sport mode.

Liking the idea of LED adaptive headlights.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnat View Post
Having thought about a 3er touring v 5er, think I am going for the facelift version of the latter.

Thinking about spec:

The 520d SE I drove on 17" alloys was a bit lacking in fun factor
530s M/Sport on 18" alloys was skittish

Thoughts about SE suspension on 18" alloys?

Not going for Vdc due to it changing gear ratios as part of sport mode.

Liking the idea of LED adaptive headlights.

Thanks,
I too am looking to order the LCI 5 Series. I currently have the 2012 model 520D SE with the VDC; and I can confirm (as will many other reports on the internet) that the car is transformed.
I too have mine on 17" wheels, but in Sport (or Sport+) mode, the car is really planted.
In comparison, I also have a 330 Coupe Highline edition with 18" (staggered wheel setup - wider wheels on rear than fronts); and it is very surprising that the 520D actually feels more planted on twisty roads than the 330 Coupe.
Yes the 5 series does not have the grunt and has more body roll, but the ride is so much more planted. Difficult to describe until you do back to back driving with and without VDC.

My new LCI 5 series will be a 535D and VDC is the first option I have checked.

Could not understand your comment about changing gear ratios in VDC?
      05-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

GSPANNU, 520d to 535d , thats going to be quite a jump!

You may recall you help code my car last year, I finally got round to coding myself and managed to set the auto stop start to last memory last week.Very nervous doing it but it worked first time.I might just add HUD indicators as my next step, thats the only other thing I really want thats not already on the car.(Hoping that when teh car is services, the integration levels are not changed forcing an upgrade of e-sys / psdzdata / token)

Regarding suspension, I have a 530d on 19" wheels with the passive msport suspension and this is if I';m honest, not a good as I think it could be.
Perfect on motorways and fast roads but around town where there are potholes, it can crash and can at times feel unsettled.
The wide tyres do tramline as well and you can feel the car pull when going over road markings.

I'm not so keen driving it around our bad town roads but feel the car with this suspension is more suited ot the faster roads.Its not as good as the E39 I previosuly had with 18" wheels and msport suspension. That felt more planted even if a little firmer. I've not experienced VDC myself but reading through these forums, most people seem to feel this is a better setup.

R adaptive LEDS, if you can afford to do so, go for them, not sure if you've seen this,

Thats convinced me that they are very good.

Ithink the thing to bear in mind is that the 5 is a large car and I think its more luxury than sporting. It doesn't feel as sporty as my old E39 but then it is considerably heavier at nigh on 1.8 tons.

as GSPANNu has said, I don't think VDC has anything to do with the gear ratios. I would suggest the sport auto box with the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
GSPANNU, 520d to 535d , thats going to be quite a jump!

You may recall you help code my car last year, I finally got round to coding myself and managed to set the auto stop start to last memory last week.Very nervous doing it but it worked first time.I might just add HUD indicators as my next step, thats the only other thing I really want thats not already on the car.(Hoping that when teh car is services, the integration levels are not changed forcing an upgrade of e-sys / psdzdata / token)
Yes, I do remember.

It is going to be a jump and honestly, the 520D was just not cutting it. When I drove my 330 Coupe, the 520 just felt ...... well lethargic !

LEDs look awesome; I will order these.

Servicing will not effect the coding (very limited chance that they actually overwrite the individual values, unless the new firmware is completely overwritten).

Goo luck with coding…. Hope you are enjoying the nervousness
      05-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
drnat
Private
Rep

Really keen on the adaptive LED lights - have seen the video & looks really impressive...

I thought with VDC if in sport mode the auto changed up later (ie held on to the revs longer)...is this not the case?

Will be going the auto route too

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnat View Post
Really keen on the adaptive LED lights - have seen the video & looks really impressive...

I thought with VDC if in sport mode the auto changed up later (ie held on to the revs longer)...is this not the case?

Will be going the auto route too

Thanks,
The VDC does not alter the transmission, it only affects the chassis.
When you switch from Comfort mode to Sport Mode, the car switches both transmission & suspension/ steering modes.
You have a choice (in iDrive setting) to control what Sport mode does. You can chose either chassis or transmission or both. Choosing chassis only; gives you sport mode with tighter steering, firmer suspension but no difference to gear shifts.
VDC adds an additional mode (Comfort plus) - this really softens up the suspension and the Sport mode just makes the car more firmer/ planted than without VDC.

As I had written, you need to drive with/ without VDC to feel the difference.

Test it over 2 scenarios: A winding country road (but smooth, no potholes) to check out the additional stability. Put in Sport or Sport+.
Then also check it on city road with potholes or speed breakers, etc… in Comfort+ mode.
      05-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
drnat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
The VDC does not alter the transmission, it only affects the chassis.
When you switch from Comfort mode to Sport Mode, the car switches both transmission & suspension/ steering modes.
You have a choice (in iDrive setting) to control what Sport mode does. You can chose either chassis or transmission or both. Choosing chassis only; gives you sport mode with tighter steering, firmer suspension but no difference to gear shifts.
VDC adds an additional mode (Comfort plus) - this really softens up the suspension and the Sport mode just makes the car more firmer/ planted than without VDC.

As I had written, you need to drive with/ without VDC to feel the difference.

Test it over 2 scenarios: A winding country road (but smooth, no potholes) to check out the additional stability. Put in Sport or Sport+.
Then also check it on city road with potholes or speed breakers, etc… in Comfort+ mode.
Thanks, that is really helpful - VDC seems like a good option. Do you think it would 'cope' with 18" alloys with VDC & not be too harsh? Thinking about the luxury line for the new 5 & if would be a bit more engaging?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that is really helpful - VDC seems like a good option. Do you think it would 'cope' with 18" alloys with VDC & not be too harsh? Thinking about the luxury line for the new 5 & if would be a bit more engaging?
This is what I am ordering. 18" with VDC on 535 Luxury Line. As far as I am aware, the F10 suspension/ steering was setup for 18" alloys as default - so should be absolutely fine…
      05-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
drnat
Private
Rep

Great....thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
This is what I am ordering. 18" with VDC on 535 Luxury Line. As far as I am aware, the F10 suspension/ steering was setup for 18" alloys as default - so should be absolutely fine…
Buying into the 535d, have you considered Adaptive Drive (VDC + ARS)? In my experience ARS, the active roll stabilization part is the feature which allows a much softer ride with good control in the bends, corners very flat even in comfort mode. Plus less intrusion from single wheel bumps when going straight, when the roll control is virtually decoupled. Gives a sporty drive, but much more comfortable.

As a general note in this topic, the suspension modes are very different when adaptive suspensions are fitted. Noticed more as road surface quality deteriorates, just as we'd expect.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Buying into the 535d, have you considered Adaptive Drive (VDC + ARS)? In my experience ARS, the active roll stabilization part is the feature which allows a much softer ride with good control in the bends, corners very flat even in comfort mode. Plus less intrusion from single wheel bumps when going straight, when the roll control is virtually decoupled. Gives a sporty drive, but much more comfortable.

As a general note in this topic, the suspension modes are very different when adaptive suspensions are fitted. Noticed more as road surface quality deteriorates, just as we'd expect.

HighlandPete
Good point, any idea how much more is the Adaptive Control compared to VDC? Approx figure?
      05-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Not all cars have the chassis and drivetrain configuration options. Appears later models require the right options to be able to have chassis checked, but leave the drivetrain unchecked. In fact there is not the active command line when you toggle to sport, or the option in iDrive settings, as some have, even without VDC or Adaptive Drive. SAT only, used to have the option, but some users say that it doesn't have a configurable command line anymore.

Certainly in my case (2011 model) with SAT and Adaptive Drive there is the option both when driving (and you toggle to sport) and in iDrive settings menu, to configure chassis and/or drivetrain. I typically check the chassis setting only and use the gearbox stick to get sports transmission active when I want it, regardless of the chassis mode I'm running.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good point, any idea how much more is the Adaptive Control compared to VDC? Approx figure?
At least another £1,000

Key option in my 535i. Besides being a better suspension system, IMO, I personally think it also helps shrink the car, feels more agile due to the control.

Can you get to try it, even if demo cars with AD are like hen's teeth?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
At least another £1,000

Key option in my 535i. Besides being a better suspension system, IMO, I personally think it also helps shrink the car, feels more agile due to the control.

Can you get to try it, even if demo cars with AD are like hen's teeth?

HighlandPete
I'll ask my dealer to source a demo car, then see how different it feels from VDC..