2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 550i ECU Tune by Gintani. UPDATE Page 3 DYNO #s

03-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #155
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
need Data from SD card
I can't wait to show you! lol I want to do some more runs on summer tires. I just caught two bubbles today on my all season tires. I'm putting summer tires on this week. Also need to re-powder coat rims again.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #156
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
I can't wait to show you! lol I want to do some more runs on summer tires. I just caught two bubbles today on my all season tires. I'm putting summer tires on this week. Also need to re-powder coat rims again.
you can use mt light wheels at track
      03-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #157
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
you can use mt light wheels at track
Hellow low 11s!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #158
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
My official Review:

Well I finally picked up my car today. I'm going to be flat out w/this, I was very skeptical when doing this just because of all the bs I've dealt with in regards of tuning the F10.

With that being said, Im absolutely puzzled on how the car is responding.
Its so damn smooth, just driving around town the car just feels so good. I had a minor jitter on the freeway which I was thinking was due to the downpipes, that is gone.

Now for the performance part, there is an Incredible, ridiculous, insane difference with what I was use to driving before the flash.

It wasn't a "oh I feel it" or "ya there was a gain", the words I choose above are dead on. The craziest part of all is sports+ mode, obviously when you go from comfort to sports+ there is a nice difference stock or w/a piggy back.
But here is the crazy thing, now in sports+ the car is literally NUTS.

The throttle is super sensitive and the response is baffling.
The shifts are harder then before, the car pulls harder then it ever has, and its beyond noticeable, and the thing that was most shocking is over 5k it just keeps pulling. You wont get this and be like it was a nice gain, or it helped. It will shock you.

Alex @ Gintani told me to take it for a spin and come back.
Turned on my car and left and experienced everything I wrote above.. when I came back, I literally gave him a hug. I was shocked and clearly wasn't prepared for what I just experienced.

So my conclusion is, if you have a N63TU YOU need this, you need this so badly. I guarantee after the flash you will drive the car and be in shock at the difference it makes.
Changes everything about what you think the 550 can do.

So do yourselves a favor and call Gintani and order the damn thing.
I'm so glad I was convinced to take my car to them to be the ginny pig, because I really didn't want to at 1st due too the past bullsh*t w/other companys.

Gintani is the real deal.

PS: if you have a RWD you will now have traction problems in 2nd gear.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |

Last edited by combatbmw; 03-18-2015 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #159
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw View Post
My official Review:

Well I finally picked up my car today. I'm going to be flat out w/this, I was very skeptical when doing this just because of all the bs I've dealt with in regards of tuning the F10.

Its so damn smooth, just driving around town the car just feels so good. I had a minor jitter on the freeway which I was thinking was due to the downpipes, that is gone.

Now for the performance part, there is an Incredible, ridiculous, insane difference with what I was use to driving before the flash.

It wasn't a "oh I feel it" or "ya there was a gain", the words I choose above are dead on. The craziest part of all is sports+ mode, obviously when you go from comfort to sports+ there is a nice difference stock or w/a piggy back.

The shifts are harder then before, the car pulls harder then it ever has, and its beyond noticeable, and the thing that was most shocking is over 5k it just keeps pulling. You wont get this and be like it was a nice gain, or it helped. It will shock you.

Turned on my car and left and experienced everything I wrote above.. when I came back, I literally gave him a hug. I was shocked and clearly wasn't prepared for what I just experienced.

So my conclusion is, if you have a N63TU YOU need this, you need this so badly. I guarantee after the flash you will drive the car and be in shock at the difference it makes.

I'm so glad I was convinced to take my car to them to be the ginny pig, because I really didn't want to at 1st due too the past bullsh*t w/other companys.

Awesome! Im hoping for similar results although I only have a N63. Unfortunately im already looking at downpipes and turbos on a car I was going to leave alone and enjoy the warranty

Are you going to the track soon? Its already in the mid 90s here and will probably be in the 100s shortly so I probably wont go unless I can afford the M5 intercoolers or get lucky with a cooler evening. Our state is terrible in the warmer months with DAs hovering around 4000-5000 ft even though were only at 1200 ft.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #160
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My official Review:

time for some 1/4 numbers and 60-130
      03-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #161
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
time for some 1/4 numbers and 60-130
Ya I ordered rims/tires for rear already. And plan to go when I have some time. All I know is, what I would of done before would of been worse then what I would do now.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #162
Wizo
Rep
Drives: 2013 f10 550i

So I was wondering. Is the BMS piggy even worth it if they can tune the ecu? How much difference is the butt dyno compared to stage 1 BMS?
Are you using both tune and BMS? Won't that create a dangerous situation with additional boost added to an extreme tune?

I have to say after reading your post of your first impressions I could almost imagine your expression when you explained the added pulling through 5k rpms. That must have been a VISA moment
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #163
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
So I was wondering. Is the BMS piggy even worth it if they can tune the ecu? How much difference is the butt dyno compared to stage 1 BMS?
Are you using both tune and BMS? Won't that create a dangerous situation with additional boost added to an extreme tune?

I have to say after reading your post of your first impressions I could almost imagine your expression when you explained the added pulling through 5k rpms. That must have been a VISA moment
I talked to Terry a bit about that, and he said you can get a flash, and then use the BMS like a boost controller when you use race fuel. We have 95 and 100 at the pumps at a few stations so I had inquired to that as I was leaning towards a flash, but unfortunately with a flash you really cant change anything once its in unless you get it redone. With the BMS you can just set it to factory, and then turn it up as you add the proper fuel. I may or may not do it, but im sure curiosity would get the better of me to see how the car performs with 100 octane and a few more lbs of boost. Id definitely have to see it on a dyno with a wideband long before I use it at the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #164
Wizo
Rep
Drives: 2013 f10 550i

Well you and I have the n63 motor...I think I might go ahead and just stick with the BMS and install it for a few months after my recall. Just was wondering what direction I might take.
I have 93 octane everywhere. I was going to use that all the time and keep my setting out of the box till I decide if I am going to go mod crazy. That tune sounds like the way to go to really open up the power on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #165
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
I talked to Terry a bit about that, and he said you can get a flash, and then use the BMS like a boost controller when you use race fuel. We have 95 and 100 at the pumps at a few stations so I had inquired to that as I was leaning towards a flash, but unfortunately with a flash you really cant change anything once its in unless you get it redone. With the BMS you can just set it to factory, and then turn it up as you add the proper fuel. I may or may not do it, but im sure curiosity would get the better of me to see how the car performs with 100 octane and a few more lbs of boost. Id definitely have to see it on a dyno with a wideband long before I use it at the track.
I tried it on my Gintani Tune and guess what!!! Nothing... Lol granted I tried it on 93 octane. The car felt the same. Nothing different. Maybe with MS109 race gas it will help! Might have to try it!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #166
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
Well you and I have the n63 motor...I think I might go ahead and just stick with the BMS and install it for a few months after my recall. Just was wondering what direction I might take.
I have 93 octane everywhere. I was going to use that all the time and keep my setting out of the box till I decide if I am going to go mod crazy. That tune sounds like the way to go to really open up the power on these cars.
Ya that works. Bms is diff a must vs stock.
And thank God for them doing what they did cause it was a nice boost in power for the last 2 years.

But if you really want to wake ur car up. You know what to do.
Worth every penny.

And yes that moment was priceless. I mean keep in mind I didn't go from stock to gintani. I can't even fathem what that would be like.
I went from a bms piggy to a gintani tune and the difference was unimaginable. I mean the dyno doesn't lie. Peak vs peak it's a pretty giant jump. But after 5k rpms were talking 100hp 100tq +... And that is no joke.

I get the whole warranty thing. And how a flash is more complicated. But I made my choice. And will deal with it. I'm not going to not enjoy my car for the next 1.5 years just for a Warranty. But that's my opinion.

Car is brand new looks amazing. This is the time. Not in 50k miles or when the warranty is up and it's the old body style.

Last edited by combatbmw; 03-18-2015 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #167
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The price is also $1000 different
      03-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #168
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Very true. And totally worth it.
I'm not trying to sell the dam thing. I don't give a rats ass what people decide to do with their money. I was asked by gintani and several members on forum to volunteer to give my car for this project and I did. And THANK god I did.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #169
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
$1000 difference.. So? Would you pay an extra 1k for an additional 50HP/50TRQ OVER BMS(JB), increased drivability, increased throttle, better idle, speed limiter removal, no hiccups, no wiring issues and pins etc that I know all you N63 guys go through, and a healthier car?

Aren't you the guy that's working on a 3k intake for 15whp gains and increase throttle reaponse? Lol and the filters and scoops for $400-$500 for 7-10whp gains?
I know for a fact of hints hi cracked ECU you would jump ASAP! Come on me bad black cheer up!

The price is penny's in the larger scheme . You drive an 80k car and someone says $1800 for 150/200 crank more power! Hell yea!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #170
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Lets break it down:

I'll use my dyno numbers:

Stock 385 hp 467 tQ
BMS 452 HP 514 TQ

Peak difference of 67HP // 47TQ
@5500+ RPM 66HP // 62TQ

Cost: $449 If you have catless dps and dont want checklight $279 for OBD2 Can tool $279
Cost w/Can tool: $728

----------------------------------------------------------

Stock: 385 HP 467 TQ
Gintani: 516HP // 554 TQ

Peak difference of 130HP // 87TQ
@5500+ RPM 166HP // 155TQ

Cost: $1800

So for a stock car to justify paying 1800 to gain 130HP and 166HP after 5500 RPM's is pretty easy.

Going from a BMS to a Gintani will get you 64HP Peak and 100HP After 5500rpm
And we are just talking about HP/TQ gains, lets talk throttle response, the car being 200% better for normal driving vs my BMS mixed with DPs.
And lets not forget, the Gintani comes with a Checklight deletion from DPs.
Or you will have to pay 279 dollars for the OBD2 Can tool to erase the checklight. Gintani tune also adjusts and makes Sports+ mode more aggressive, shifts harder, speed limiter removal, RPM's, Launch control (RWD only atm) RPM increase, and much more.

So you gain much more then just power.

Also having DPs and wanting a tune or Piggy and I look at these facts

1800 for Gintani Tune
728 for BMS Piggy back + Can Tool

So $1072 extra.. for me, no brainier.
For those that dont plan to do DP's an extra 1300 bucks is this worth it?

My personal opinion is also YES.
Especially when the data is honest and from members of the forum, not some bs posted from a tuning company.

Last edited by combatbmw; 03-18-2015 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #171
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Very true. And totally worth it.
I'm not trying to sell the dam thing. I don't give a rats ass what people decide to do with their money. I was asked by gintani and several members on forum to volunteer to give my car for this project and I did. And THANK god I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
$1000 difference.. So? Would you pay an extra 1k for an additional 50HP/50TRQ OVER BMS(JB), increased drivability, increased throttle, better idle, speed limiter removal, no hiccups, no wiring issues and pins etc that I know all you N63 guys go through, and a healthier car?

Aren't you the guy that's working on a 3k intake for 15whp gains and increase throttle reaponse? Lol and the filters and scoops for $400-$500 for 7-10whp gains?
I know for a fact of hints hi cracked ECU you would jump ASAP! Come on me bad black cheer up!

The price is penny's in the larger scheme . You drive an 80k car and someone says $1800 for 150/200 crank more power! Hell yea!
Quote:
Lets break it down:

Stock 385 hp 467 tQ
BMS 452 HP 514 TQ

@5500+ RPM 66HP // 62TQ

Cost: $449 If you have catless dps and dont want checklight $279 for OBD2 Can tool $279
Cost w/Can tool: $728

So for a stock car to justify paying 1800 to gain 130HP and 166HP after 5500 RPM's is pretty easy.

And we are just talking about HP/TQ gains, lets talk throttle response, the car being 200% better for normal driving vs my BMS mixed with DPs.
Or you will have to pay 279 dollars for the OBD2 Can tool to erase the checklight. Gintani tune also adjusts and makes Sports+ mode more aggressive, shifts harder, speed limiter removal, RPM's, Launch control (RWD only atm) RPM increase, and much more.

For an extra 1300 bucks is this worth it?
For me, YES.
Especially when the data is honest and from members of the forum, not some bs posted from a tuning company.
Lol i stated a fact that its $1000 more i did not argue

lets see what happens at track this Sunday
      03-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #172
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw
Lets break it down:

Stock 385 hp 467 tQ
BMS 452 HP 514 TQ

@5500+ RPM 66HP // 62TQ

Cost: $449

Or you will have to pay 200 something dollars for that gadget I had that plugs into OBD port to erase the checklight, Speed removal, etc etc.

For an extra 1300 bucks is this worth it?
For me, YES.
Thanks for the info! Perfect explanation! Fingers crossed this happens for the N63 now!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #173
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Transporter View Post
Thanks for the info! Perfect explanation! Fingers crossed this happens for the N63 now!
Ya Im just a numbers guy. Sorry for long msg. I actually updated it and broke it down even further.

And your welcome man.
3 weeks down w/no car to drive to help develop a tune for the guys was my pleasure.

W/the Sheitegn Exhaust my car was down for 6 weeks.
W/the Evolution racewerks catless downpipes car was down for 4.5 Weeks.

But in the end it was totally worth it.

And after taking to Gintani about the Stage 2.. I'm pretty pumped because it doesn't just end there.
They explained how much more it can go safely, but after reaching the numbers they did, they made a business decision and decide to stop and sell, and future have a stage 2.
Which being a business owner, I totally agree with.
I'm going to go back to the dyno when or if it even gets cold down here in socal, my Gintani numbers was on a 88 Degree day.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:34 AM   #174
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Got a gopro today and made these 2 clips.. crazy how i lose traction at high speeds.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #175
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
Got a gopro today and made these 2 clips.. crazy how i lose traction at high speeds.

That's fast.. Real fast !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #176
phil7027
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 550xi

I need this tune……
Appreciate 0