2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications My quest for serious power from my 535 continues

03-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #23
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i posted this before as i thought about going this route but here's some info i got from PureTurbo upgrade for the 535.

Hi Gene,

Your turbo is different than the 135/335 turbo but we do have our STG2 available for your vehicle also.

First thing is no more 89, these engines crave octane so if you want to run pump gas only you need the highest octane you can find(91/93/100. JB4 is the easiest to tune on these vehicles. The stock fuel system is fine until you want to run higher quantities of ethanol. The higher the octane the more boost you can run and the more you will get out of the STG2 turbo. High flow cats or catless downpipes are another upgrade we recommend to get the most from the turbo.

Our turbo is 100% bolt on, no modification required. On 91 you can run 15-17psi which is around 420-450whp to redline. The addition of meth would put you over the 500WHP mark. The turbo is $2500 plus $775 core deposit.

-Charles
Operations Manager

PureTurbos.com
353 Airport Road
Oceanside, CA. 92058
(760)721-7669
That's AWESOME bro, especially since Oceanside is not that far a drive for me. So, that puts the Pure Stage 2 very much on the list
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
That's AWESOME bro, especially since Oceanside is not that far a drive for me. So, that puts the Pure Stage 2 very much on the list
Yes! I would stop by and inquire more but for the most part I did have a lot of emails back and forth with questions and concerns. Coming from the import scene especially when I was in the process of building my Integra (hence my user name) I knew my motor had to be rebuilt from the block to the head with forged rods and pistons. Iron ductile sleeves for the block with a balanced crank and blue printed. Port and Polish 3 angle valve job with titanium valves and retainers. I knew enough for what it takes for my motor to handle a custom Turbo. Now when it comes to the BMW however...I don't know $hit lol! I haven't spent enough time researching what the stock motor can handle...what the tranny can take?. PureTurbo upgrade sounds like the way to go but I'd like to be certain if the stock motor can handle 400hp+ with no component failure?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #25
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes! I would stop by and inquire more but for the most part I did have a lot of emails back and forth with questions and concerns. Coming from the import scene especially when I was in the process of building my Integra (hence my user name) I knew my motor had to be rebuilt from the block to the head with forged rods and pistons. Iron ductile sleeves for the block with a balanced crank and blue printed. Port and Polish 3 angle valve job with titanium valves and retainers. I knew enough for what it takes for my motor to handle a custom Turbo. Now when it comes to the BMW however...I don't know $hit lol! I haven't spent enough time researching what the stock motor can handle...what the tranny can take?. PureTurbo upgrade sounds like the way to go but I'd like to be certain if the stock motor can handle 400hp+ with no component failure?
I completely agree, I haven't done a custom turbo setup since the Accord I mentioned before. So this is new to me too. At some point I know I will have to upgrade the crank to the one found in the M235 - it's forged, ours is cast, and maybe some Carillo connecting rods. That should give the bottom end the strength it needs to support high HP reliably, but for the time being the only blown N55 I have seen was a guy running it very lean at high boost. So the internals seem pretty solid. This car will never reach 600-700 HP, because I have my doubts that a) that's possible, and b) that it would still be a capable daily driver. My old Accord was putting down 510 WHP, but that was VERY far from being able to be street driven.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 01:57 AM   #26
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Lean and high boost, I used to run like that. Glad I don't anymore. I guess I got lucky. PJinCA was it a N55 on a 335?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 05:38 AM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

PJinCA, good info there on the block! I'm not planning on dropping money for internals like I did in my Integra. I just didn't want to drop $2500 for the Turbo and find out I still need to spend another $7k+ to support it lol! Eventually engine wise I'll understand it's capabilities when I start my research.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #28
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Lean and high boost, I used to run like that. Glad I don't anymore. I guess I got lucky. PJinCA was it a N55 on a 335?
Actually it was an N55 on an F10, but he was running very lean for 8 months +, IIRC. Not something you ever want to do for long. No matter the HP, if you're not paying attention to your AFR, you will have engine problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 02:16 AM   #29
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Thank you, I agree, the 8HP is an awesome trans. My only complaint is that BMW chose the weakest version for the 535. The 8HP70 that is used in the 550 is also used in things like Dodge Trucks (including diesels), so if it can handle the torque demands of a diesel, it should surely be capable of a modded 535. Then the only upgrade would be an 8HP90 - which is the trans used in the Dodge Challenger Hellcat. That would be fun, but I seriously doubt the N55 will ever be developed enough to generate the 740 lb ft of torque that trans is rated at.
the 8HP70 is in the active hybrid 5 with the N55 engine.

basically a 535 with a battery. buy a AH5 now for a cheap price and mod that.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
drdingo
Rep
Drives: 535xi

I was surprised to not see Pure stage two mentioned before lsturbointeg did.

I've been running a pure stage 2 for about 8 months with zero problems. My 535 has a pure stage 2 with an intake, Armytrix exhaust, and JB4 and holds 19-20 psi to redline on 10 gallons of 93 with 5 gallons of e85.'

When on the higher boost the car is beyond quick.
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #31
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdingo

I've been running a pure stage 2 for about 8 months with zero problems. My 535 has a pure stage 2 with an intake, Armytrix exhaust, and JB4 and holds 19-20 psi to redline on 10 gallons of 93 with 5 gallons of e85.'

What!? Woah, woah, woah. Lol

Nobody had ever posted a 535 with PT S2. You've got a F10 535? If so, please post the numbers or data if you have it.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #32
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdingo View Post

Quote:
What!? Woah, woah, woah. Lol

Nobody had ever posted a 535 with PT S2. You've got a F10 535? If so, please post the numbers or data if you have it.
I completely agree!!! Please tell us more about your setup. Any trans issues? Do you do hard launches? Have you dynoed your car? Have you done walnut blasting yet? How many miles on your car and how many since Pure S2 installed? Inquiring minds want to know
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #33
drdingo
Rep

Whoa! really?! I thought this was common?!

My car is a 535 xi with a Pure Stage 2. The car has:
- BMS Intake
- Pure Turbo Inlet
- DV+ Valve
- Armytrix full exhaust
- JB 4 running map 6
- JB 4 Bluetooth REV 3 Kit
- ACS Springs

I ordered the turbo last March. At the time pure was back-logged and I didn't get my turbo till the week before memorial day weekend. Over memorial day me and my friends installed it into the car only to find out that pure had sent the wrong turbo... There are apparently two WG arms for our cars.. Pure was great and overnight'ed a new Turbo to me.

The new turbo had problems from the start. It would boost to 19psi but then loose pressure all the way to redline. By the time it hit redline it had around 14 psi. We spent months troubleshooting replacing everything (JB4, vacuum test, WG actuator, verifying the turbine.. I mean everything). At this point it was getting cold and I had almost given up on it. Then one day the turbo just blew. Again Pure was great and got a new one 2 day air'ed to me.

The third turbo has been installed now since October. The car is my daily driver and I put some miles on it. I drive it aggressively but not hard. I have done some hard launches and have never noticed anything slip.

Even with the broken stage 2 turbo I didn't lose any stop light races. Camaro, Mustangs, vettes. It didn't matter. The only one was a Camaro ZL1 with at least an exhaust and it was from a 30 mph roll I honestly believe I only lost because the turbo was blown and it couldn't hold boost past 4.5k because all he did was slowly pull away from me.

Quote:
I completely agree!!! Please tell us more about your setup. Any trans issues? Do you do hard launches? Have you dynoed your car? Have you done walnut blasting yet? How many miles on your car and how many since Pure S2 installed? Inquiring minds want to know
No trans issues so far and its been 8 months ish. I have not dyno'd as my car is all wheel drive and I think the only BMW tuner close to me with an all wheel drive dyno is in Ohio.
I have not done walnut blasting. I will say I've noticed an oil film and will be adding a catch can. I'm assuming most of the film is from the second blown turbo.

I don't have any problem answering questions. I'll see if I can find a pic of the car and throw it up here. I've attached a jb4 log and a pic of the run on the way home.

Also if anyone is interested here is a video of the car with the Armytix exhaust.

Also pro tip for anyone with an XI doing the turbo conversion. You will read everywhere that you need to drop the subframe to get the turbo installed. You don't. Just remove that right side engine mount, support the engine from the bottom with wood a jack and you can then use a 2x4 uptop for leverage and shift the engine to the left slightly and it will give you the room to get the turbo fold in there.
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #34
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

That is GREAT info, thanks a lot Bud!!!! I am more excited than ever to get going modding mine. Please keep us posted, it's great to see vendors like Pure stand behind the products they sell and settle any issues quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #35
drdingo
Rep

Quote:
That is GREAT info, thanks a lot Bud!!!! I am more excited than ever to get going modding mine. Please keep us posted, it's great to see vendors like Pure stand behind the products they sell and settle any issues quickly.
Of course!

My turbo was a shitty situation all around. I lost money. Pure lost money. It just sucked. However - Jesse from Pure spent hours on the phone with me and always responded to text or email. He never brushed me off and was always willing to try and help to resolve the problem. Its exactly what a company should do.

The car pulls like a freight train. If you go with it. You will love it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #36
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdingo View Post
Of course!

My turbo was a shitty situation all around. I lost money. Pure lost money. It just sucked. However - Jesse from Pure spent hours on the phone with me and always responded to text or email. He never brushed me off and was always willing to try and help to resolve the problem. Its exactly what a company should do.

The car pulls like a freight train. If you go with it. You will love it.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear bud, I have added the Pure Stage 2 to my list of mods. If the trans can't handle it I will get an 8HP70 when/if it breaks. I would like to end up somewhere between 450-500 whp when I'm done - and that means Pure is a must
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #37
drdingo
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what I wanted to hear bud, I have added the Pure Stage 2 to my list of mods. If the trans can't handle it I will get an 8HP70 when/if it breaks. I would like to end up somewhere between 450-500 whp when I'm done - and that means Pure is a must
I know the 1 series and I think the 3 series have issues holding anything above 17-18 psi of boost and have to supplement with meth to get to 20+. Our cars don't seem to have that issue.
I've seen dynos where the n55 at 20 psi will make over 500 whp. So I assume I'm in that neighborhood. My car holds 21 psi to redline but because of the firmware I'm using I can't set the safety higher and it kicks into map 4 at anything above 21 psi.

Here is a run in 4th gear I just did and you can see the car has no issues with boost. The car will hold 20 for about 1,500 rpm and then drops 1 psi because I have the higher rpms only set to 18:

And a pic of the car with the winter wheels and tires:

Last edited by drdingo; 04-12-2016 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #38
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

That's awesome, it's gotta be a blast to drive
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #39
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

My old 550 was at 450 whp with Supersprint headers, 3 inch exhaust going into an RPI axle back, ESS custom tune for engine and trans, RPI scoops. That car used to eat Camaro SS for lunch and come back for 2nds. I miss it. Now if I can get this car performing at or near those levels I would love it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #40
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

drdingo! thanks for dropping in! good to hear that everything worked out! i had inquired awhile back and like you mentioned, the purestage2 turbo is different for the 535. i posted this awhile back but nobody seemed interested at the time so i stopped trying. but glad to hear you did it! so with your setup you're confident that you're over the 500hp mark to the wheels?
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #41
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
drdingo you think Pure Turbo has the kinks worked out for the 535 thanks to you? I ask because there are a few of us ready to down that road with PTS2 setups.

Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 01:44 AM   #42
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
drdingo you think Pure Turbo has the kinks worked out for the 535 thanks to you? I ask because there are a few of us ready to down that road with PTS2 setups.
+1 along with the MP tune Bmw doubles i think would be pretty solid!

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 04-13-2016 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #43
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i listed the phone # and contact info at the top so keep us up to date if and when you decided to do this this maybe something in the works for me next year but dunno yet
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #44
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i listed the phone # and contact info at the top so keep us up to date if and when you decided to do this this maybe something in the works for me next year but dunno yet
Oh, I will definitely keep everyone here posted. I am excited because Pure is in Oceanside, which is about 30 mins from me
Appreciate 0