2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anti-Diesel attitude seems to be slipping into UK policy

03-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Anti-Diesel attitude seems to be slipping into UK policy

Apologies, as this thread goes way beyond scope of F10/F11, but I thought I'd share it here, as there are plenty of UK based diesel owners on the forum.

Basically, after many years of pro-Diesel marketing for domestic vehicle ownership in the UK, due to good mileage, lower CO2 (with reasonably substantial road fund licence incentive for lower output models), there are now substantive signs that the surcharge / levy is coming - in the opposite direction - because of diesel popularity - see article in today's Telegraph ...

Parking permit surcharge to force diesel cars off the roads

Quite disturbing, given that Diesels have been so popular in the UK, due to the stated reasons, yet seemingly because of their popularity, they are being surcharged.

End quote in the article:

The report said the Government should encourage “small, modern petrol vehicles, petrol hybrids and electric vehicles in urban areas in place of diesel vehicles”

What, so electric and hybrid do not pollute the environment, but Diesels do? Just because the electricty comes from a plug socket and you can't see where it is generated, doesn't mean it's mystically pulled from thin air!

CO2 is the evil for one decade, but it's okay for the next decade, because it's pushed out by a powerstation and not by the car itself?

The logic from the government is completely shot here. Having said that, I think I've just addressed my own concern; government, logic - in the same breath.

Anyway, thought I'd throw this one out there. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
Bad bad news! Completely agree with your comments. Anyway, all modern diesels have DPFs now don't they?

They'd be better clamping down on old diesel busses and trucks more than they have done. Other than in London there are no restrictions on dirty diesel passenger and good vehicles...
      03-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Just another stealth tax.

If they do ever comes when we all drive fully electric cars expect to see tax discs for them to suddenly change from being free to being £2000 pa. You think government could live with out your fuel duty if we no longer bought petrol or diesel?

That article is funny. I love the pic and how they imply someone that can afford that range rover would give a cr@p if it cost him or her £176 pa more to park.

As for the majority of us i guess we all park on our driveways and don't need permits. I think if you live somewhere where you need a permit then you just have to accept you sadly fair game to be fleeced by the authorities
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post
Bad bad news! Completely agree with your comments. Anyway, all modern diesels have DPFs now don't they?

They'd be better clamping down on old diesel busses and trucks more than they have done. Other than in London there are no restrictions on dirty diesel passenger and good vehicles...
Seems from the latest research reported in the DEFRA documents, that even including Euro 5 compliant diesel cars, NOx levels are not decreasing.

Quote:
We find that diesel cars and LGV emissions of NOx have not decreased for the past 15–20 years; even for Euro 5 vehicles.

• It will be essential to ensure that Euro 6 vehicles result in a considerable reduction in NOx emissions, particularly under urban driving conditions. Defra and other relevant agencies should monitor the implementation of Euro 6 vehicles through European emission standards to ensure there is sufficient evidence to support claims of significantly reduced NOx emissions under ‘realworld’ driving conditions.
That's bad news, as it means they are looking at even more strict MOT emission testing and tighter emission regulation for EURO 6.

The urban pollution issue won't go away, and if diesel is more responsible for sustained levels of NOx, then users will have to face the issues it brings. We all want cleaner air, don't we?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

I'm not European but I am a diesel fan (fanatic,actually),having just bought my second diesel.In this country,at least,I think a concerted effort to *promote* diesels should be made largely because the typical diesel gets 20-40% better mileage than its equally powered "petrol" sibling.The US is far bigger than is Europe and is much less densely populated and our train system (apart,possibly,from the Northeast Corridor) is basically non-existent.So cars are far more important here...and in countries like Canada and Australia...than they are in Europe.

And if Europe didn't allow itself to be bullied by leftist "the workers control the means of production" types and the "if we all committed suicide the planet would be much cleaner" types things might be very different.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The urban pollution issue won't go away, and if diesel is more responsible for sustained levels of NOx, then users will have to face the issues it brings. We all want cleaner air, don't we?
Not an issue for you then Pete where you live...
      03-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
I'm not European but I am a diesel fan (fanatic,actually),having just bought my second diesel.In this country,at least,I think a concerted effort to *promote* diesels should be made largely because the typical diesel gets 20-40% better mileage than its equally powered "petrol" sibling.The US is far bigger than is Europe and is much less densely populated and our train system (apart,possibly,from the Northeast Corridor) is basically non-existent.So cars are far more important here...and in countries like Canada and Australia...than they are in Europe.

And if Europe didn't allow itself to be bullied by leftist "the workers control the means of production" types and the "if we all committed suicide the planet would be much cleaner" types things might be very different.:confused2
LOL , well written

In my country the 535d is some 6 or 7000 euros more expensive compared to a 535i, with equal performance.
OK mpg is better with a 535d, but me doing only 20,000kms(12.5k miles) a year, I 'd better drive a petrol than a dieselcar....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
That article is funny. I love the pic and how they imply someone that can afford that range rover would give a cr@p if it cost him or her £176 pa more to park.
Yeah, that struck me as funny too. I put the Rangie pic down to the even broader Telegraph anti-motoring sentiment. Strange how they chose a luxury, slighty bling 4x4 in front of a sumptuous house, as opposed to a picture of a 1.2 Citroen diesel outside of a 2 up 2 down.
Appreciate 0