2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications RaceChip Ultimate Install Pictures for 535i (F10), aFe Scorcher, BMS Stage1 Thoughts?

04-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #67
Sadclown
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

TShoot, any updates on your experience with Racechip? I just got mine in today and plan to install this weekend (probably). Curious to know what setting you are running?
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #68
TShoot
Private
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadclown View Post
TShoot, any updates on your experience with Racechip? I just got mine in today and plan to install this weekend (probably). Curious to know what setting you are running?
I have mine on S2=F (from factory setting of S2=B). Noticeable improvement from the "B" setting but it has been so cold over the winter and raining now that I haven't had a chance to play with any other settings. So far, S2=F hasn't given me any "Drive Train" malfunctions or thrown and Check Engine Lights (CELs).

I may try some higher settings when my life calms down a bit. And, if I can find a deal on a AWD dyno run of tests, I may go through the settings to see what the different settings actually buy in HP and torque versus drivability.

I am almost at sea level, run 93 octane almost exclusively (unless the wife sneaks something else in on me) and have no other mods done to the car.

So, if your situation is different (lower octane gas, high elevation, etc) your settings might not give you the same results as mine.

BTW, I am sure you probably already know this but don't mess with the S1 switch. I was told (and read) that for our turbo cars, just to adjust the S2 switch.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes and how you like it.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #69
Sadclown
Rep

Thanks for the response TShoot. I actually installed mine shortly after posting my other message. Once I figured out how to release the sensor clips, install was quick and easy. Initial impressions with stock setting (s2=B)... I'm on the fence if I actually feel any difference. Maybe a slight bump in performance? It's one of those things, if I didn't know it was there, I'm not sure that I would notice any improvements. I plan to drive it around a bit more before bumping up the settings more. I've got a 6 hour road trip this weekend, so I'll run it through the paces and report back.

Also before people ask, I don't plan on dyno'ing the car to check my results.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #70
TShoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response TShoot. I actually installed mine shortly after posting my other message. Once I figured out how to release the sensor clips, install was quick and easy. Initial impressions with stock setting (s2=B)... I'm on the fence if I actually feel any difference. Maybe a slight bump in performance? It's one of those things, if I didn't know it was there, I'm not sure that I would notice any improvements. I plan to drive it around a bit more before bumping up the settings more. I've got a 6 hour road trip this weekend, so I'll run it through the paces and report back.

Also before people ask, I don't plan on dyno'ing the car to check my results.
Yeah, the clips can be a real pain in the a$$. I broke the clip on both of my sensors trying to rush a re-install in the dead of winter in the parking lot.

Sounds great and thanks for the update. Good to hear honest feedback. Let us know how things go.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #71
Sadclown
Rep

I'm hoping a bump up from B to D will give me more noticeable results..

Install pics are a little different than yours. Mine is a 2014 535i, and I post these for reference.

Marked in red. Top circle and right side arrow.

Closer top side.

Closeup of top side.

Right Side

Closeup of right side.

Top installed.

Everything back together.
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #72
TShoot
Private
Rep

Great install pics! Thanks for sharing. Probably some of the best for the 535i series I have seen (you should sell them to RaceChip, BMS and aFe) since they are all the same.

I had my whole install pretty well documented (like yours) but my phones memory card took a dump on me before I could download them to my PC. I had planned to retake them when the weather got warm and I had some extra time. But you show everything very clearly so I may not bother.

Where did you attach the module under the hood? Doesn't look like it is tied to anything in these pictures.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 04:15 PM   #73
Sadclown
Rep

Bottom right of that last picture. There is a metal bracket holding the black tank. I actually have it zip tied to the top of that bracket. Actually fits quite snug in that spot, so I'll probably keep it there.

And to get the original sensor clips off, I used a small flat head screwdriver and inserted it from the top to release the connector. This seems to be the easiest way, and so long as I continue to be careful, hopefully I don't break one..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #74
TShoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Bottom right of that last picture. There is a metal bracket holding the black tank. I actually have it zip tied to the top of that bracket. Actually fits quite snug in that spot, so I'll probably keep it there.

And to get the original sensor clips off, I used a small flat head screwdriver and inserted it from the top to release the connector. This seems to be the easiest way, and so long as I continue to be careful, hopefully I don't break one..
Here is where I mounted my module. No problems so far. Doesn't seem to get too hot under the hood under long drives, simple to access and not much play for it to vibrate.

Closeup

Okay, I know it needs a good detailing under there.

Did you mount yours in a similar location?

Last edited by TShoot; 04-25-2015 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #75
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Nice! This is good information! Sounds like the RC is the way to go. Compared to a BMS upgrade any thoughts? Appreciate opinions!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #76
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Congrats! Sadclown and of course you came to the right place TShoot is always beyond helpful

I just took mine in for service and the removal was much easier than my first installation as the Sensors are PITA but the more I do it the better I get. Now My install and removal I can do it in 5 minutes each

Btw, you should spend at least 50miles on B (stock setting) as your car is adapting but you should be feeling it more in sport after you feel like you want more go to C, it is recommended to only jump 1 setting at a time. I'm still on stock setting since my car was reprogrammed by the dealer due to Cruise Control Module issue. Will be increasing 1 setting at my next tank fillup. I am content with the improvement even at stock when paired up with TopTierGas (Shell, Valero, my choice) i feel it less with BP/Exxon and BP/Exxon burns a lot faster.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #77
TShoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Nice! This is good information! Sounds like the RC is the way to go. Compared to a BMS upgrade any thoughts? Appreciate opinions!
Check out this thread. Lots of info there on the different options.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=822978
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #78
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSht View Post

Thanks! I'll check it out
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #79
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSht View Post

Thanks! I'll check it out
What are you trying to get with the mods? Let me break them down for you.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #80
Sadclown
Rep

Update: My son and I took a road trip to Austin to watch some racing at Circuit of the Americas. I put about 150 miles on setting B (stock). I am definitely noticing an improvement at this point. Not sure if the addition of miles after initial installation helped or not, but I definitely notice a change (for the better). I'll put another 150 miles going back home tomorrow and then will bump it up to C. Though I really want to skip a setting to make more noticeable changes..

Good results so far. I unfortunately can't compare to other brands (BMS, AFE, etc) since Racechip is the first one I've tried. I'll post up more info after I make further adjustments.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #81
TShoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Update: My son and I took a road trip to Austin to watch some racing at Circuit of the Americas. I put about 150 miles on setting B (stock). I am definitely noticing an improvement at this point. Not sure if the addition of miles after initial installation helped or not, but I definitely notice a change (for the better). I'll put another 150 miles going back home tomorrow and then will bump it up to C. Though I really want to skip a setting to make more noticeable changes..

Good results so far. I unfortunately can't compare to other brands (BMS, AFE, etc) since Racechip is the first one I've tried. I'll post up more info after I make further adjustments.
Good to know. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #82
Sadclown
Rep

Update 2: Moved to C setting, just put 400ish miles on the car. Performance improvements from 'B' doesn't seem very significant. Really hard to tell a difference. However, my gas mileage has improved significantly. Typically when I drive from Houston to Dallas, I have been seeing about 27 to 28 mpg. However on this trip, my computer shows 33mpg. That's pretty awesome, as I surely didn't buy this for the additional mpg.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #83
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Awesome! Always great to hear feedback from these products. Gives me ideas on which way to go
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #84
Shmezelk8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

TShoot, great thread. Where did you buy your AFE Scorcher?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #85
TShoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmezelk8 View Post
TShoot, great thread. Where did you buy your AFE Scorcher?
Thanks.
Thanks Shmezelk8!

Bought it from Bavarian Autosport - http://www.bavauto.com/. Bought it on sale for around $400 (ish) before the holidays. I think it is around $448 now. You also had to pick which harnass you needed. Mine was 2011 so it was used sensor 1 - part number 77-46301.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #86
Shmezelk8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShoot View Post
Thanks Shmezelk8!

Bought it from Bavarian Autosport - http://www.bavauto.com/. Bought it on sale for around $400 (ish) before the holidays. I think it is around $448 now. You also had to pick which harnass you needed. Mine was 2011 so it was used sensor 1 - part number 77-46301.
Great! Thanks for the information, mine is 2011 too. Also, it looks like they have the Remus Responder module there as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #87
TShoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmezelk8 View Post
Great! Thanks for the information, mine is 2011 too. Also, it looks like they have the Remus Responder module there as well.
I would probably go to RC for the Responder. The picture of the Remus Responder looks different than my RC Responder. I know Remus rebadges RC but that picture looks like it has less settings.

Compare the RC USA Responder to the Remus Responder to make sure you are getting the same thing.

You understand that you don't get any more power with that Responder - right? It just changes the way the throttle position behaves (must more aggressive response when set to the yellow/red settings) which I REALLY enjoy.

It was one of my favorite mods but it's not for everyone. Install was pretty easy. I would do it again given the choice.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #88
Sadclown
Rep

Update: After the recommended 50 miles between each setting, I just got to setting F. Needed to take the car in for service, so I pulled the Racechip Ultimate out and was surprised how noticeable a decline in performance I felt. Since I haven't dyno'ed, no zero to 60, etc etc, just going by butt dyno. It is a significant jump in performance. I may opt to Dyno soon, because I'm genuinely curious to know what power the car is making.

Anyway, no issues with the BMW dealer "seeing" anything. I did completely remove Racechip, and it is a much quicker process after you do it only 2 times.

Also, replacing windshields is f'ing expensive. ($1500!!) Doesn't look like there is an OEM option for my particular model either otherwise I would have jumped on that.

Popped Racechip back on after service, and again surprised with the gains I'm feeling. Well worth the $600 bucks in my opinion.

Thinking about replacing charge pipe next. Anyone notice any additional gains/improvements with tune and charge pipe upgrade?

Thanks.

Last edited by Sadclown; 06-13-2015 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: I can't type...
Appreciate 0