2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Run flats improved ?

06-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
bernpep
BMWCCA member #2429
Rep
Drives: '12M.C.Blue M3, '16 targa 4S

Run flats improved ?

Hi, as a 35 year BMWCCA member I swore I would not own another runflat optioned car after my 335i fiasco. Now the wife would like a 535xi and the one we are looking at has Goodyear 18" runflats. Have they improved enough not to be a headache? Your valued feedback needed please!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernpep
Hi, as a 35 year BMWCCA member I swore I would not own another runflat optioned car after my 335i fiasco. Now the wife would like a 535xi and the one we are looking at has Goodyear 18" runflats. Have they improved enough not to be a headache? Your valued feedback needed please!
If they are the Goodyear eagle ls2 they have terrible reviews. They came on my car when I purchase me it 3 months ago. I just bought continental dsw06 to replace them.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Yeah, the LS2 are nothing special. Traction is terrible and noise isn't much better.

As soon as my new wheels are done I'll be changing to Michelin AS3+ with the step up to 20's. I can count only twice I've needed a spare in the last 18 years of driving and both times I could have easily called for a tow instead.

Runflats just aren't worth the expense and ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
bernpep
BMWCCA member #2429
Rep
Drives: '12M.C.Blue M3, '16 targa 4S

Why the heck does BMW ruin the ownership of a great car with lousy runflats.
I had a sidewall blowout on the highway in my 335xi in 2009. This was one reason I changed direction on my car choices. Was ready to pull the trigger on new 535xi for the wife as I thought tire technology had improved. Time to look at another brand again. The new Jaguar XF has a spare tire at least. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Its just a tire man, fit what you like to the car.

Run flats are merely the suggestion of the automaker, and they are fine for 95% of the pleebs that buy these cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Its just a tire man, fit what you like to the car.

Run flats are merely the suggestion of the automaker, and they are fine for 95% of the pleebs that buy these cars.
Or for those that need ALL the available trunk space so can't carry a spare.
Appreciate 1
gclk320.00
      06-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Or for those that need ALL the available trunk space so can't carry a spare.
For active family like mine, yeah lots of time I need all of the available trunk space. And just my personal take, space wasting aside, it's kinda silly to have spare tire and jack somehow "fastened" in the trunk in 70+K vehicle. In my opinion, this is something BMW should've done to start with, provide an option for owners to chose, car with, or with no spare, but that's been beaten to death now. I ditched the RFs for my summer tires and carry a Continental kit in the trunk (Winters are still RF, Dunlop - and I'm actually happy with them). I don't like having no spare, but I like "the safety" of the kit better than RF tires or having spare tire and tools in my trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernpep View Post
Now the wife would like a 535xi and the one we are looking at has Goodyear 18" runflats. Have they improved enough not to be a headache? Your valued feedback needed please!
I've said this in many threads so far, life's too short for these.
If you can afford 5 series, new or used, you can afford to ditch these.
Worst tire I ever had, no contest. Noisy, terrible in wet, not great grip in dry either, harsh ride and bubbles easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Run flats have not improved and even if you find a brand that claims they have its marginal. There's nothing performance about run flats and that also goes to say they're not about comfort either. They are great for people who live on flat, smooth highways and travel great distances on the regular.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernpep View Post
Yes they have improved however are still horrible imo. I get the concept but for the uncomfortable ride and higher expense, what's the point really. I don't have a spare so I bought a air compressor and plug kit just in case. Hopefully I won't need since I haven't changed a flat nor needed to in a million years.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Sorry for jacking this thread, but what are the best non runflat tyres for noise, comfort and wear? The F10 currently has runflat conti sport contact 3, which are not good!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 01:32 AM   #11
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Run flats have not improved and even if you find a brand that claims they have its marginal. There's nothing performance about run flats and that also goes to say they're not about comfort either. They are great for people who live on flat, smooth highways and travel great distances on the regular.
The Michelin PS2 ZP (runflat) is very nice. It rode nice, quiet and had amazing steering response. This was when it was new. Due to an unrelated issue, I didn't keep them long and replaced them with Michelin PSS non runflats. The two tires felt remarkably similar. The difference being that the PS2 ZP had quicker, sharper steering response. The PSS, was slightly smoother, maybe a smidge quieter, but had more cornering grip - especially on less than perfect pavement.

Still the differences would go unnoticed by the "average" driver. If someone swapped the tires without the owners knowledge, many would never detect the difference. The PS2 runflats are quite good. Definitely a step up from the Bridge stone RE050 RFTs and Dunlop Sport Runflats I had prior. Both of those tires were hard, rigid, noisy with wear, and noticeably detracted from the ride quality.

Just food for thought based upon my real world experience.
Appreciate 0