2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 528i

03-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
It seems I am in the minority here... I test drove a 520d and found it lagging and slow. I test drove a 530d and it was a totally different car. It was, lacking other words to describe it, alive! It is all personal choice though, so test drive as many cars as you can and make your own mind up...
I doubt you are in the minority, just stating the obvious as the 530 is indeed a "different car"... an £8,500 different car! Try comparing the 530 with the M5 and you find a similar difference. Point is that it’s not all about personal choice, it’s often a financial one and, in my case, that’s all I could afford. In saying that I don’t agree the car is slow in comparison with other 2ltr's, and trust me I have driven a few!

530 is a fantastic car and hope you enjoy
it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
...Also, Gordon is in Scotland, that is the only time I ever saw my old e46 320d auto ever get above 40mpg from a whole tank, used to get around 33mpg back in Norfolk.
You sort of get forced into very economical speeds up there...
Really?!!! I'm curious to know where you've found these conditions that force you to drive economically. Scotland abounds with miles of fast twisty roads that really allow you to enjoy the car's performance and on a good day I can get as little as 33mpg out of my 535d; it's the prolonged motorway drives down south that boost my yearly average to 39.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #25
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

I live and drive around in london and find 520d is no slouch - Auto + hill hold = first away from the lights on most ocassions - Ok the economy is not that great ( average is 27-30) - much better on A or M ways - seen upto 60mpg. For me the cost was also a decider as the petrol versions were more expensive when i bought my car and i could not see a noticible difference on the test drive between a 523i and a 520d.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #26
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Really?!!! I'm curious to know where you've found these conditions that force you to drive economically. Scotland abounds with miles of fast twisty roads that really allow you to enjoy the car's performance and on a good day I can get as little as 33mpg out of my 535d; it's the prolonged motorway drives down south that boost my yearly average to 39.
Your are correct there Jon, we have some fantastic roads up here in the frozen north and you can still find empty roads for a bit of fun. The suggestion of better fuel economy further north is, at least in theory, possibly correct. Compression of cool air is much easier than hot air therefore the colder the climate the less fuel you burn, as I said, in theory!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #27
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon4499 View Post
Your are correct there Jon, we have some fantastic roads up here in the frozen north and you can still find empty roads for a bit of fun. The suggestion of better fuel economy further north is, at least in theory, possibly correct. Compression of cool air is much easier than hot air therefore the colder the climate the less fuel you burn, as I said, in theory!
I see that you're also in Aberdeenshire, in which case I presume you're familiar with the Slug road and Cairn o' Mount. I defy anyone to enjoy those roads, whilst achieving anything remotely associated with fuel economy
As regards to your theory, you're quite correct in stating that colder air is easier to compress than its warmer equivalent, but that's only because it has greater density in the first place. However, the benefits gained by a more efficient fuel burn will be largely offset due to the fact that a denser atmosphere will result in increased air resistance, thereby requiring more engine power to push the car through it. At least that's my theory and 43 years in aviation leads me to think that the practicality isn't too far off .
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I see that you're also in Aberdeenshire, in which case I presume you're familiar with the Slug road and Cairn o' Mount. I defy anyone to enjoy those roads, whilst achieving anything remotely associated with fuel economy
As regards to your theory, you're quite correct in stating that colder air is easier to compress than its warmer equivalent, but that's only because it has greater density in the first place. However, the benefits gained by a more efficient fuel burn will be largely offset due to the fact that a denser atmosphere will result in increased air resistance, thereby requiring more engine power to push the car through it. At least that's my theory and 43 years in aviation leads me to think that the practicality isn't too far off .
Ohh yes, well familiar with these roads and as you say its near impossible not get a bit carried away..

I think you have got me on the fuel economy theory. I work with Industrial jet engines, hence my thoughts on the cold air but I failed to notice that these engines don’t move!!

My earlier hopes on getting a decent MPG whilst towing my van is also flawed.. Just arrived at site and averaged 22 MPG.. Ohh dear
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #29
surreybmwdriver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 525d Imperial Blue

I have the new 525d 4cyl and really happy with both performance and consumption. When in Sport drive mode, it feels to have more power than my previous car, the E60 530d. I haven't pushed the limits as I am a bit conservative until I reach the 1200 mile mark!

Consumption wise, really depends on my driving style. The worst I have ever got (Sport/Sport+ mode and auto stop/start disabled) is 40mpg, the average consumption is 46mpg (combination of Comfort/Sport).
      03-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

So pretty much the same as the 520d then and a smidge better than the 530d.

Looks a good car, I liked that engine in my 123d.
Appreciate 0