2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Different Perspective

08-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
SD535
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Different Perspective

I ordered a 2011 535i with Sports Package, Premium 1 and 2, and Sport Auto Trans with Shift Paddles. I went with Deep Sea Blue and Oyster/Black Dakota Leather. That's it.

From the test drive (no sport package) and order date of June 4th, to the July 26th delivery date, I was hooked, and probably read every word posted, and saw every video on the internet about this car from the time I ordered until it arrived.

I became very nervous about all of the negative "enthusiast" reviews of the F10 handling, and began to question my decision not to get the DH Package or whether this was the right car at all...

I thoruoghly enjoyed the order tracking and delivery process, even after my initial build and ship process went iightening fast but was delayed at the NJ VPC for almost 3 weeks for Fuel system, trucking or... ?

When I saw the vehicle for the first time I was floored, and I am happy to say to all those waiting for yours that the "live" car is infinitely more beautiful than any picture you can find in any of these threads or on the BYO site. (But I will say IMHO the lack of the Sports Package would have lessened the visual experience for me... the 331 19" rims are a work of art).

To be fair... This is my first BMW. I am coming off of a 2001 Volvo S60 T5, and before that a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro.

Bottom line: If there is a BMW, or Ferrari (which I have never driven either), that feels better than this car in so many different driving conditions, I feel very sorry for those who have experienced it and thus cannot appreciate the absolute joy of this car. I cannot possibly use the power to its fullest extent, cannot possibly need smoother or more responsive steering on any road I know, and if I needed a more luxurious, intuitive and fully appointed interior I would not be driving myself around anyway.

Even without the DHP, the "Sport" transmission setting in my car definately adjusts the Chassis feel as well as providing a kick-ass transmission ratio that performs and even sounds terrific. I have the "advantage" of never owning or driving an "M" or other "purist" Bimmer, but have not found a single highway, back-road or even stop-and-go situation where this car does not provide me with ultimate joy of driving, and a feel that everyone who has been in it has said "wow, that feels "smooth and TIGHT".

In the end I feel the negative reviews were akin to an article in Audiophile Magazine comparing B&O wih Bose... While owners of those 2 might argue for their respective favorite, and even compare the previous B&O to the new, those coming from the Sony would cherish ugrading to either...

I suppose I'll get comments about this review that it has no substance or technical expertise, and who knows... perhaps my next car might even dissappoint me now that I know what I was missing... but for now I will happily enjoy what as far as I know is the Ultimaie Driving Machine.

SD-
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
I have one on order as well.

To help us get better perspective, tell us about your prior cars
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

I have had 535i for about a month now, it is a great car and has a great ride. I have no regrets. My car also has only sports package but no dynamic handling package.

It is definitely more luxurious than sporty, but I don't mind it. I prefer it this way. Before this car I owned E90 325i. No regrets for moving on and moving up.

Too many people are hating its steering feel, but its fine with me and no complaints.
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Coming from 335i the car felt bigger when test driving, but guess what--the car IS bigger lol.

I was used to 3er active steering (found the non active steering to be slow and over weighted) and found the 5er non-IAS steering to be perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Feco
Private
Rep
Drives: 12' 1 Series M Coupé

Garage List
2012 1M  [10.00]
2014 Porsche 911 Ca ...  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 911 Turbo  [10.00]
1993 E36 M3  [10.00]
1999 E39 M5  [9.00]
2005 E46 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10 535i  [0.00]
Dude, I just moved from an 2006 530i M-Sport to an F10 535i no dynamic handling package. I can tell you that I felt some difference on handling the F10´s but nothing to worry about. It´s an excellent car, you won´t regret at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feco View Post
Dude, I just moved from an 2006 530i M-Sport to an F10 535i no dynamic handling package. I can tell you that I felt some difference on handling the F10´s but nothing to worry about. It´s an excellent car, you won´t regret at all.
I sort of agree with this comment. I moved from the E60 530 M sport to the F10 with sports pack (no dampening).
Whilst the ride is totally different it isn't bad.. just different.

Why did I say, "I sort of agree" at the beginning of this post? Well, i do find myself questioning the handling of the F10 without dampening when I navigate around a round about with uneven surface. it seems my whole front of the car moves dramatically sideways.. it's quite scary and really can be felt. I have 20 inch wheels on the car with rft but I'm really not sure if smaller wheels would be any better.

Apart for this the car feels fantastic..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD535 View Post
Even without the DHP, the "Sport" transmission setting in my car definately adjusts the Chassis feel as well as providing a kick-ass transmission ratio that performs and even sounds terrific. I have the "advantage" of never owning or driving an "M" or other "purist" Bimmer, but have not found a single highway, back-road or even stop-and-go situation where this car does not provide me with ultimate joy of driving, and a feel that everyone who has been in it has said "wow, that feels "smooth and TIGHT".
SD-
I agree, the steering changes for the better and it does feel like the car gets tighter. I would like to know if the chassis really does. Many people on here says it does not, but I have a feeling it does with the sports trans w/o DH. I guess someone will have to take pictures of different parts between the two to know forsure. BMW states (I dont think they are telling the truth) some place that it does not change, but they want you to buy DH and spend more $. I think this is where members are getting the info.

I have had two other BMW's E46 and E90 and I feel this car is perfect (for my current needs)! I loved the way those cars drove, but space was an issue (have a 6 year old son). I wanted a bigger car that could be still fun to throw around once and a while. Most of the time I am driving on a highway or sitting in traffic. I would say the F10 fits my needs and most peoples needs the way BMW made it. If I wanted a sports car I would not be buying a 5. I would have gotten a 4dr. M. Which I was considering but its not very practical for my needs.

Steering feel could be a little better in normal mode. Thats being picky.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5 View Post
I agree, the steering changes for the better and it does feel like the car gets tighter. I would like to know if the chassis really does. Many people on here says it does not, but I have a feeling it does with the sports trans w/o DH. I guess someone will have to take pictures of different parts between the two to know forsure. BMW states (I dont think they are telling the truth) some place that it does not change, but they want you to buy DH and spend more $. I think this is where members are getting the info.

I have had two other BMW's E46 and E90 and I feel this car is perfect (for my current needs)! I loved the way those cars drove, but space was an issue (have a 6 year old son). I wanted a bigger car that could be still fun to throw around once and a while. Most of the time I am driving on a highway or sitting in traffic. I would say the F10 fits my needs and most peoples needs the way BMW made it. If I wanted a sports car I would not be buying a 5. I would have gotten a 4dr. M. Which I was considering but its not very practical for my needs.

Steering feel could be a little better in normal mode. Thats being picky.
I was in the same situation, and I love moving on to F10 from E90. Without ZDH but only 2TB, steering definitely gets tighter, I guess there is only some little change in the chassis too, but I am not 100% sure. For me ZDH was not worth the extra $$$$. The car is still great even without it.
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
SD535
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Well, when you go into settings you can "configure sport mode". Your options are to turn on/off drivetrain settings, and to turn on/off chassis settings for Sports mode. I have both turned on (default).
Seems to me it would be fairly silly to provide a setting to turn off something that does not exist...
I can definitely feel the drivetrain setting, as the tachometer actually moves when you change it. I think I felt the chassis stiffen as well... Maybe...
The DHP must just be the "premium sound" version of the feature... And I feel just fine with the $2700 in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
I sort of agree with this comment. I moved from the E60 530 M sport to the F10 with sports pack (no dampening).
Whilst the ride is totally different it isn't bad.. just different.

Why did I say, "I sort of agree" at the beginning of this post? Well, i do find myself questioning the handling of the F10 without dampening when I navigate around a round about with uneven surface. it seems my whole front of the car moves dramatically sideways.. it's quite scary and really can be felt. I have 20 inch wheels on the car with rft but I'm really not sure if smaller wheels would be any better.

Apart for this the car feels fantastic..
I can understand the original post as he is a BMW newbee. However, those that have driven them significantly know that this car has indeed become too soft. That movement "dramatically sideways" is the body roll I have commented on and is one of the main problems along with the steering. They work together to provide an fun confident feeling sports car. It doesn't take a professional critic to make that assessment.

Last edited by erio; 08-05-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
blackberrycubed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i Xdrive

I am still confused about the sport package + Sports auto tranny (no dynamic) scenario. When you switch to sport or sport+ on that switch... Does it only change tranny settings or (like someone said earlier) also makes some chassis (stiffen it up) changes as well??
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I can understand the original post as he is a BMW newbee. However, those that have driven them significantly know that this car has indeed become too soft. That movement "dramatically sideways" is the body roll I have commented on and is one of the main problems along with the steering. They work together to provide an fun confident feeling sports car. It doesn't take a professional critic to make that assessment.
I could say that you are just missing the point, but it's probably better just to point you to the thread title, Different Perspective.

You and others that want to continue to call this a 'Sports Car' and are looking for that sports connection to the road probably won't like this car. I could probably post all the BMW releases about the change for the F10, the balance of luxury and sport, but to someone that's used to what was it most likely won't make a difference.

I can though illustrate it a bit differently.

The first 5 (E12) had a wheelbase of 104 inches. The first 7 (E23) had a wheelbase of 110 inches. And just for comparison purposes the current 3 sedan (E90) has a wheelbase of 108.7 inches (which just happens to be the wheelbase of the E34 5 series).

The wheelbase of the F10 is 116.9 inches.

This isn't a matter of good or bad, it's simply a matter of different.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
I could say that you are just missing the point, but it's probably better just to point you to the thread title, Different Perspective.

You and others that want to continue to call this a 'Sports Car' and are looking for that sports connection to the road probably won't like this car. I could probably post all the BMW releases about the change for the F10, the balance of luxury and sport, but to someone that's used to what was it most likely won't make a difference.

I can though illustrate it a bit differently.

The first 5 (E12) had a wheelbase of 104 inches. The first 7 (E23) had a wheelbase of 110 inches. And just for comparison purposes the current 3 sedan (E90) has a wheelbase of 108.7 inches (which just happens to be the wheelbase of the E34 5 series).

The wheelbase of the F10 is 116.9 inches.

This isn't a matter of good or bad, it's simply a matter of different.
Yes I understand that it's a different car. I have seen the press releases. All the generations are growing in dimension/weight. In my mind I have always found that the 5 served a nice spot between the 3 and 7 for someone that wanted a nice handling sports sedan that had a spacious interior for family, business, etc. Those that are expecting a 5 series that fullfills that purpose may be disappointed. It's too big and clumsy now. It's grown to the point that it cannot meet that goal any longer, at least with the current suspension and steering set up. Maybe the next 3 series (F30) will fill that niche.

Last edited by erio; 08-05-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
blackberrycubed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD535 View Post
I
Even without the DHP, the "Sport" transmission setting in my car definately adjusts the Chassis feel as well as providing a kick-ass transmission ratio that performs and even sounds terrific.

SD-
can someone confirm the above? the chassis stiffening without DHP...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #15
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes I understand that it's a different car. I have seen the press releases. All the generations are growing in dimension/weight. In my mind I have always found that the 5 served a nice spot between the 3 and 7 for someone that wanted a nice handling sports sedan that had a spacious interior for family, business, etc. Those that are expecting a 5 series that fullfills that purpose may be disappointed. It's too big and clumsy now. It's grown to the point that it cannot meet that goal any longer, at least with the current suspension and steering set up. Maybe the next 3 series (F30) will fill that niche.
Now BMW has so many different cars that they are not aiming for one car to be that *PERFECT* car.

on the F10 chassis alone they have:
Sedan
Wagon
GT
Coupe
Cabrio
GranCoupe
M5

the 5 is only one implementation of that platform. With so many models they can tweak each one to cater to a certain segment. So they decided the F10 is the executive one. and 6GrandCoupe will be the more sporty one.

I for one am happy they retained the core BMW feel but made it more luxurious. The F10 has a better (both features and quality) interior than the last 7, which is no small feat.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #16
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrycubed View Post
can someone confirm the above? the chassis stiffening without DHP...
I doubt there is any suspension turning. maybe on cars with IAS, it significant loads up the steering to give a feeling of 'stiffening'.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #17
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
I doubt there is any suspension turning. maybe on cars with IAS, it significant loads up the steering to give a feeling of 'stiffening'.
I don't think the chassis stiffens with IAS.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #18
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I don't think the chassis stiffens with IAS.
that's not what i said. what i said was, if the steering stiffens, it could give the feeling of chassis stiffening.

Regardless its an illusion. there is no chassis stiffening without DHP.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #19
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
that's not what i said. what i said was, if the steering stiffens, it could give the feeling of chassis stiffening.

Regardless its an illusion. there is no chassis stiffening without DHP.
Yes, mistake in my post i don't think the steering stiffens with IAS

I agree that the toggle in sport without DHP stiffens the steering giving a tighter chassis feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #20
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now BMW has so many different cars that they are not aiming for one car to be that *PERFECT* car.

on the F10 chassis alone they have:
Sedan
Wagon
GT
Coupe
Cabrio
GranCoupe
M5

the 5 is only one implementation of that platform. With so many models they can tweak each one to cater to a certain segment. So they decided the F10 is the executive one. and 6GrandCoupe will be the more sporty one.

I for one am happy they retained the core BMW feel but made it more luxurious. The F10 has a better (both features and quality) interior than the last 7, which is no small feat.
Well I gues we will see what the GranCoupe has to offer. If it has the same suspension and steering, I doubt it will be much different. It personally don't think it has that "core" feel you describe. Handling comes before a aesthetics. BMW has always focused on function before form. They didn't this time, in my opinion. I really wish I did like the car, because I was looking forward to picking one up. However, BMW isn't too worried about that as they can now potentially take over the high end Lexus (LS) crowd.

There are many threads that point that out. Here is just one of them:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...t=bring+wobble

Last edited by erio; 08-06-2010 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
topologe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 Porsche 991 S

Quote:
BMWs used to make me feel young due to its handling. Now that the F10 seems to have been designed for grown ups, I am now forced to grow up
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Well I've never heard of any 5 before described as 'spacious', and I would hardly describe the F10 that way although it is a move in that direction.

For those interested in another review, check out THIS . The reviewer has his issues with fly by wire also, but it's interesting to note that these issues seem to go away the more you drive in a 'sport' mode.

For me the decision wasn't the F10 or something else, it was whether to wait for the M5 or go with a 550i. It was pretty easy, we have enough people trying to turn the streets and highways into a track, and after driving the 550i it's easy to see that it really is a nice sports sedan.
Appreciate 0