2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Pre-LCI vs LCI: Some surprises when deciding which to order

06-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
FrequentFlyer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & X3

Pre-LCI vs LCI: Some surprises when deciding which to order

There is a lot of hype on LCI and so with a late June build on order, I checked that my dealer was happy for me to change to a first week of July build which is the first week of LCI production.

I thought that I would take the latest and greatest but when I sat down at the dealership and ran through the detailed spec/figures on their configurator I ended up sticking with the Pre-LCI.

Spec is a loaded 520d SE with about £11k of options excluding individual paint/leather. So we started with Luxury Line in the new world and built a like for like example. However BMW have messed about with two areas:

1. Sport Auto is no longer available as an option for any 520d LCI, being reserved for the 525d/530d.

2. The option prices have been changed. For example the HUD is now a £1k option on top of Pro Nav and this does not include the extra £115 for Black Panel. Compare this to a£580 premium to Pro Nav today - including the Black Panel Free of Charge. Pro HiFi is now badged Harmon Kardon and £150 more. Sun Prot Glass up by £50. Folding Mirrors up by £50 etc etc.

So I wondered if the new touch iDrive controller could be a consolation. However like most people I am right handed and the idea of writing well-formed letters in an iDrive controller with my left hand was just laughable. Your average European or US driver will find their layout a lot more natural unless they are left handed.

Coupled with other option pricing and allowing for standard Xenon etc we came to the astounding conclusion that the pre-LCI (which now includes Business Nav FOC) was over £1600 cheaper for the same spec but with the benefit of Sport Auto.

The external changes are barely noticeable and so it came down to price. For that kind of difference I don't need a facelift.

Last edited by FrequentFlyer; 06-04-2013 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

Surely you'll get the difference back at resale, though?
2012 F10 535d M Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Piano Black Trim, 19" 351M, Sport Automatic Transmission, Reversing Assist Camera, Powered Boot Lid, Soft Close Doors, Folding/dimming mirrors, Elec. fr seats, Surround View, Heads-up display, BMW Business Speakers, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Visibility pack, Media Package Pro
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer View Post
There is a lot of hype on LCI and so with a late June build on order, I checked that my dealer was happy for me to change to a first week of July build which is the first week of LCI production.

I thought that I would take the latest and greatest but when I sat down at the dealership and ran through the detailed spec/figures on their configurator I ended up sticking with the Pre-LCI.

Spec is a loaded 520d SE with about £11k of options excluding individual paint/leather. So we started with Luxury Line in the new world and built a like for like example. However BMW have messed about with two areas:

1. Sport Auto is no longer available as an option for any 520d LCI, being reserved for the considerably more expensive 525d/530d.

2. The option prices have been changed. For example the HUD is now a £1k option on top of Pro Nav and this does not include the extra £115 for Black Panel. Compare this to a£580 premium to Pro Nav today - including the Black Panel Free of Charge. Pro HiFi is now badged Harmon Kardon and £150 more. Sun Prot Glass up by £50. Folding Mirrors up by £50 etc etc.

So I wondered if the new touch iDrive controller could be a consolation. However like most people I am right handed and the idea of writing well-formed letters in an iDrive controller with my left hand was just laughable. Your average European or US driver will find their layout a lot more natural unless they are left handed.

Coupled with other option pricing and allowing for standard Xenon etc we came to the astounding conclusion that the pre-LCI (which now includes Business Nav FOC) was over £1600 cheaper for the same spec but with the benefit of Sport Auto.

The external changes are barely noticeable and so it came down to price. For that kind of difference I don't need a facelift.
A correction:
- Sport Auto is available on the new 520i/d. The option code has changed from 2TB to 2TE
Automatic transmission with gearshift paddles. New option for 520i, 520d and ActiveHybrid models, replacing 2TB Sport automatic transmission where previously available. Cost £1685.

Other changes:
- The new 520d is now more Co2 efficient, has a lower drag…
- Does it look better? This is very subjective (of course)
- I hope the steering issues have been sorted.

- Read more here about UK changes (especially last post)
      06-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
FrequentFlyer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & X3

C-HRI-S

I don't think that the LCI changes are significant enough to make much of a difference in my particular case although values for F10s without Xenon and Nav will probably suffer a bit. Maybe the Sport Auto would command a premium? Who knows?

gspannu

Sport Auto is still available as 2TB higher up the range and my understanding is that 2TE is just adding paddles to the standard Auto. I don't know how much of a difference there is between the two options in reality other than the Aesthetic one in the cabin. The CO2 headline is a big one but look closer and unless you have an SE with bog standard 17" wheels it is a marginal reduction from 127 to 124 so it is still in the same VED band. It is a private purchase so I have not looked into any company car tax advantages that it may have though....

I don't want to come across as critical. It just shows what a fantastic job BMW did with the F10 at launch that 4 years later the facelift is so minor. Equally I can understand why they are being a bit cheeky with the option prices. Doesn't take anything away from it being the clear segment leader and a great ownership proposition.

Last edited by FrequentFlyer; 06-04-2013 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0