2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Warped Rotors?

11-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Warped Rotors?

Driving leisurely today and after about 15 minutes in very light traffic, I started to get vibration from the front end while braking and it worsened the longer I drove.
After the car sat while I was in a meeting, I got in and was heading home and it's the same thing. No vibration initially bit it seems as the brakes warm up it gets pretty bad.
I'm assuming it's warped rotors. I'm at 70k and the pads looked fine when I checked them the other day while installing my spacers, plenty of life left but as the second owner I can only assume these are the original rotors.

Thoughts and/or recommendations for replacements?
      11-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Rotors really don't warp. Pad deposits are quite possible though.

Go do a couple of high speed near stops at maximum braking threshold and see if pedal feel improved after the brakes cool.

At 70k your thrust arm bushings may be worn as well. No individual bushing is available, the complete arm needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück

Go do a couple of high speed near stops at maximum braking threshold and see if pedal feel improved after the brakes cool.

At 70k your thrust arm bushings may be worn as well. No individual bushing is available, the complete arm needs to be replaced.
Thanks! I had to replace the thrust arms on my E39 and this feels totally different, no vibration unless braking whereas on my E39 I got the vibration at speed also. I understand the myriad of differences between the two vehicles but the suspension components are basically the same. Wouldn't it get vibration as well at speed if it was a suspension component?
      11-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
corys530
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Front lower Control Arms

Grab the top of the tire from the side and pull it hard toward you, if it has play thats your problem
those bushings are rubber and our tires are beefy, they wear out

Just a thought
2014 328i
2012 535i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys530
Front lower Control Arms

Grab the top of the tire from the side and pull it hard toward you, if it has play thats your problem
those bushings are rubber and our tires are beefy, they wear out

Just a thought
thanks! I approached a stoplight yesterday and gently pressed the brake pedal. The vibration is definitely tied to the rotation of the wheel and it's only when braking. Because of the myriad of issues with past BMWs and suspension components I checked there first. Never dealt with warped rotors before but all the signs point there.

One last thing I'll check is the rim, may be bent...the roads in DC suck!!!!
      11-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #6
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post

Yup! pad deposits for the vibes. Guaranteed your pads are cracked also up front. take them off and have a look. I swear BMW had a batch of bad pads out there!
Appreciate 1
The_M6248.00