2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Need Help Making a Decision Black or White F10

12-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
cloudz7
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 328i

Need Help Making a Decision Black or White F10

So first of all want to wish everyone here a happy holidays. Well now to my problem. Early next year most likely towards the end of February I plan to buy a f10 528i. My problem is I cannot decide between Alpine White, Carbon Black, or Black Sapphire. The other color I was contemplating was space gray, so hopefully u guys can help me out. It seems like on most of the modded 5 series on this site are either white or black which is making my decision ever harder. I do plan on doing 20" wheels with an Mtech front bumper. So I would like to get input on some people that already own this car in either black or white. Which color brings out the design of the car better, and which color shows the body lines of the car better. I have went to the dealer and seen the car in both colors in person, but that still hasn't helped. Another thing to add is that I have never had a black car before, I have had an e46 in silver, a e92 in white, and an e60 in mystic blue metallic. I think the e92 white was the hardest to keep clean the blue and silver were much easier, but the e92 white did sort of stand out at night.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudz7 View Post
So first of all want to wish everyone here a happy holidays. Well now to my problem. Early next year most likely towards the end of February I plan to buy a f10 528i. My problem is I cannot decide between Alpine White, Carbon Black, or Black Sapphire. The other color I was contemplating was space gray, so hopefully u guys can help me out. It seems like on most of the modded 5 series on this site are either white or black which is making my decision ever harder. I do plan on doing 20" wheels with an Mtech front bumper. So I would like to get input on some people that already own this car in either black or white. Which color brings out the design of the car better, and which color shows the body lines of the car better. I have went to the dealer and seen the car in both colors in person, but that still hasn't helped. Another thing to add is that I have never had a black car before, I have had an e46 in silver, a e92 in white, and an e60 in mystic blue metallic. I think the e92 white was the hardest to keep clean the blue and silver were much easier, but the e92 white did sort of stand out at night.
I'd go with white. Looks great on the f10 and a breeze to keep clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Black is a lot of work but when it is clean it can't be beat. I have carbon black myself and am a big fan of it. Alpine white is classic and always looks good. Personal choice on this one. If you wash your car often and maintain it properly the black will be much more rewarding. If not, do white.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
cloudz7
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies, keep the responses coming
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
mpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 gt 550

i got my second 5 series today second in carbon black..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I agree 100%. Black looks amazing when detailed, but quickly shows every speck of pollen and dust, not to mention swirls, scratches and dings.

White is much more forgiving, but not as much as silver or grey. My Titanium Silver looks clean no matter how filthy it is until you get right on top of it.; a night and day difference over my Jet Black 535.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

White for me, had 4 black cars which are awesome when clean but really annoying when the sun is out and all the imperfections in the paint are highly visible.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I drove carbon black car for 6 years, and to be honest the color bothered me a lot in the end. Simply because it was not black, but a very dark shade of blueish purple.
If you want a black car, stay away from this one, modding with black details will just look silly on this color, trust me, I tried.

I currently have an alpine white car.
I like it, a white car looks great when clean, and stays reasonably clean in the dry, when raining or in the wintertime its dirty after a few yards. I will probably not choose white again.

Sapphire black is a true black color, and they look amazing, they do have the same issues as white cars and gets dirty very quick.
Also I have another car that is black so I'm not sure I'd go black next time.

Space gray, nice color, a bit too light for me, but this color should hide a lot of dirt and still look good.

Personally I like sophisto gray better, a darker color so may not hide dirt as well as space gray.

My absolute favorite color is Imola red, but to get one in that color is not easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Black Sapphire all the way!!! It gives the car a nice shine, Carbon Black would seem Dark Blueish sometimes... Alpine White is pretty nice but idk Black Sapphire is pretty cool! I suggest Dark Graphite rather than Space Grey, it kinda seems Blackish in the dark!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I went from a Alpine White F30 to a Jet Black F10......both are great looking colors
However as others mentioned it is so hard to keep up with the black. The black looks meaner when all clean but I would prefer to have AW for all purposes. Definitely see more imperfections on the black.

Previous
2019 540, 2018 M3 CS, 2015 M3, 2011 550i, 2013 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

There is something about a 5 series in black, it looks very executive and it shows off the lines better than white and space gray. I my opinion, white looks better in the X3 or X5 and the space gray just doesn't pop.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

I went with alpine white because I knew going in that I wanted to do mod it with black details to make it a bit sportier. In my opinion, alpine white is the best color to do a black roof, black trim, etc. I think it shows off the lines of the car nicely as well. It is all personal preference though. There are very few colors that I don't like on the F10. It is a beautiful car in almost any color and from any angle.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
cloudz7
Private
Rep

Thank u to everyone for the responses so I guess my top two so far is sapphire black and alpine white this is gonna be a tough choice I will keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

JET BLACK baby. Who cares how it gets dirty easy just keep it clean. it's like a tuxedo when it's clean. Black and elegant.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
JET BLACK baby. Who cares how it gets dirty easy just keep it clean. it's like a tuxedo when it's clean. Black and elegant.
+1! Jet black here too! Nothing sweeter than black on black rolling by! Now AW with some carbon fiber components look sweet too! I think it's gonna come down to preference and what you're planning on doing with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

It was clean this morning.
Had a drive of about 100km, on snowy, sleety salted roads, now it looks like this.

Think a gray car would fare better than this.

If I'm not much mistaken, NYC has similar winter roads, so this might be worth a thought.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
jmr986
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535ix Alpine White

I have an Alpine White w/luxury, checked out my buddy's new Black with M Package last night. His is like the evil twin of mine. Both look great clean. If your lazy like I am. White's easier to keep up with. But when black is clean ... lovely. I lease so I have no problem running it through the "touchless" car wash. But my Boxster has never seen a car wash in 13 years. All by hand.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmr986; 12-27-2014 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: add pic
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I find no matter what color I choose, the opposite color begins looking good to me about a year and a half into my ownership. I had the jerez black on my M3. Thats a blue/purple and actually clashed with the black interior. My X5 was black sapphire over black nappa, which was very nice but hard to keep clean. My 328 vert is silver over the dark tan with black carpets. This combo looks amazing. I ordered my latest 5 series in silver/black and to be honest it is blah. I'm in the process of switching because the diesel if F'ed up and I ordered a Jet black with the amaro brown merino individual interior. With the red sycamore individual wood trim and ceramic controls it should look very rich. The car isn't sporty but the way I set it up it should look very classy.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Needing some love for carbon black in here!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #20
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

I am with Carbon Black and this is the factory color for M Sport. Never was happier with the color but let's admit this is the endless discussion not only because it's similar to "blonds vs. brunettes" but mostly because we have our personality liking the different things.

I believe it is not necessary to justify the color because it looks better when dirty. It's like to choose color of shoes based on how it looks dirty. Just keep the car clean since it's the right thing to do, and this is a kind of BMW forum not the Ford F500. Let's not make simple things complex: a small Kärcher Pressure washer costs $100 on ebay.

IMO white color makes sense on a very expensive cars the same way as white cocktail dress sits the best on a supermodel. I have just came from the evil place: the Mercedes dealer, and let me confess: the CLS 63 AMG in full leather-wood-carbon-LED is perfect in white while the most of the F10 (except maybe M5) are not. And I am convinced, the black shades bring out the design and body lines the best with the regular F10. But this is just my private opinion, and I have no intention to dispute anybody's preference.

Before making a poll (that wouldn't actually proof anything) I would advice the OP to take time, relax and think which color makes him feeling more comfort and satisfaction. Talk to wife or girlfriend: the gals have a different way of thinking but can produce bright ideas sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
Needing some love for carbon black in here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw View Post
I am with Carbon Black and this is the factory color for M Sport. Never was happier with the color but let's admit this is the endless discussion not only because it's similar to "blonds vs. brunettes" but mostly because we have our personality liking the different things.

I believe it is not necessary to justify the color because it looks better when dirty. It's like to choose color of shoes based on how it looks dirty. Just keep the car clean since it's the right thing to do, and this is a kind of BMW forum not the Ford F500. Let's not make simple things complex: a small Kärcher Pressure washer costs $100 on ebay.

IMO white color makes sense on a very expensive cars the same way as white cocktail dress sits the best on a supermodel. I have just came from the evil place: the Mercedes dealer, and let me confess: the CLS 63 AMG in full leather-wood-carbon-LED is perfect in white while the most of the F10 (except maybe M5) are not. And I am convinced, the black shades bring out the design and body lines the best with the regular F10. But this is just my private opinion, and I have no intention to dispute anybody's preference.

Before making a poll (that wouldn't actually proof anything) I would advice the OP to take time, relax and think which color makes him feeling more comfort and satisfaction. Talk to wife or girlfriend: the gals have a different way of thinking but can produce bright ideas sometimes.

But let's be honest here the problem with carbon black is not the color, its that they call it black, which it isn't.
The proper name for that color should be carbon blue.
I bought my car unseen, and boy was I dissapointed when I got it out in the sun, I thought I bought a black car.

it is a nice color, but if you want a black car, this is not the right color.

When it comes to women in cocktail dresses, I prefer red
And I too have had some long looks at some AMG cars to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #22
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Good comment )

National BMW dealership provided the Carbon Black as the only black color for the M Tech option. It is totally black until direct sunbeam is put on it, than gives a deepest ultramarine blue shade, and I like this effect: the other BMW blacks don't have this play. Take a look at the pic from one of our local F10 meets where the first five cars arrived as three blacks and two grays, so my friend made that amazing compilation (my car is in the middle).

Admit, the five shades of white would never deliver such a remarkable effect and bringing out the body lines

Name:  90a0fc4s-960.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  140.7 KB

As for the red dress, you stole my thought)
BTW (sorry for offtop) there is a fantastic Imola Red F10 on the forum, and another Christmas Edition beauty:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3795
Size:  318.4 KB
Source: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=872652&page=3

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  775.8 KB
Source: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925327
Appreciate 0