2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550xi LCI to M4, M5, or M6

01-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #23
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
But the 650GC is a heavy pig, so as poor as the 550 handles, the GC will be worse.
OK, you are formally right with weight. Let's elaborate the details.

This is a luxury 450 hp AWD city pig for NY urban area (the top photo explains all). The 650ix GC doesn't pretend to be light because it is large 4-door Grand Coupe. However the weight seems not to be an issue because the car makes 0-60 mph in 4.3 sec (by BMW AG specs).

Having said the 550 poor handles good to have a base line provided. The most modern top sedans like Merc E63AMG or Audi RS7 and all BMW have got electric steering and that's it, do we like it or not. As for the suspension, we have DHP and also other (mechanical) tunes for enthusiasts.

If OP would live on AZ plains or being clearly looking for a 2-seat sport coupe as a second car, the best choice would be different. Please post your suggestion with supporting argumentation, this is the place to share all opinions helping to build up better picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #24
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I have to say that due to the 6 series (lack of) practicality getting one would require you to be.
1. Single
2. Young in a childless relationship
3. Middle aged with grown up children
4. As a second or third vehicle.

The 6 coupè is basically a 2 seater, you can get a toddler in back, but forget about adults for more than a 15 minute drive.
The GC have slightly more room in the back, but it's a 2+2 not a 5 seater, there might be a headroom issue if you are above 5.10.

If you frequently have 3 people or more in your car, don't get a 6 series.

The M5 is as far as Im concerned the perfect car.
You can fit 5 adults
With bags
You can take it shopping
You can take the kids to school or kindergarten
You can outrun pretty much any car on the motorways
You can take it to a track day and have loads of fun.
The versatility of the M5 is what makes it the best car in the world to me.

So in order to help anyone decide what car to get, we need to know how the car will be used, as a family's no1 car, or as a weekend toy.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #25
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw View Post
OK, you are formally right with weight. Let's elaborate the details.

This is a luxury 450 hp AWD city pig for NY urban area (the top photo explains all). The 650ix GC doesn't pretend to be light because it is large 4-door Grand Coupe. However the weight seems not to be an issue because the car makes 0-60 mph in 4.3 sec (by BMW AG specs).

Having said the 550 poor handles good to have a base line provided. The most modern top sedans like Merc E63AMG or Audi RS7 and all BMW have got electric steering and that's it, do we like it or not. As for the suspension, we have DHP and also other (mechanical) tunes for enthusiasts.

If OP would live on AZ plains or being clearly looking for a 2-seat sport coupe as a second car, the best choice would be different. Please post your suggestion with supporting argumentation, this is the place to share all opinions helping to build up better picture.
I love when people post 0 - 60 times like that is the only measure of a great car. A Porsche 911 (non S model) doesn't beat the M6, but the combination of handling, driver position, engine sound, interior layout etc. make it a car that many would aspire to own before the BMW M6. I doubt many would notice a zero - 60 time of 5 secs vs 4.3 in daily driving. What they will notice is the difference in weight and handling.

Of course, in Russia, the "Veeps" might prefer the GC as it lets them into a line of traffic before someone in a "lesser" car.
      01-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #26
BajandoDuro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Roughly 2-3 time that of in The US.
A basic M5 starts around usd225.000, 260.000 fully equipped.
M6 is around 20.000 more.

M4 starts at 150.000 and fully loaded 190.000

Here is what regular 5s cost, all prices in Usd with today's exchange rate.
550i starts at 160.000
535i starts at 107.000
528i starts at 80.000

M550d starts at 153.000 (xdrive standard)
535d starts at 110.000
530d starts at. 91.000
Most common Norwegian 5 is the 520d touring starting at 68.000usd.

Add 5000 for touring
Add 5000 for xdrive
And 25.000-30.000 if you checked all the boxes in the options list.

So yeah, it's quite a lot more than in the US.
However it is not directly comparable as average income is higher in Norway than in the US. I think it's about 65.000 at the moment, that is personal income, not household income.
I would say average household income in Norway is just over 100.000.
Hi Noggie,
I remember a period between 2005-2009 something, when working at a BMW dealership, it was quite usual we sold and exported cars from Sweden to Norway. But as i recall it was used cars, a year old or less.
Have they changed your tax rules so that its harder now since cars are half price in Sweden compared to Norway?

Oh and sorry for jacking your thread @BajandoDuro
Let's all go to Norway and import cars from Sweden

I'm pretty sure a lot of people are doing that
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #27
BajandoDuro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw
The 550xi LCI has all great characteristics for NY area considering actual road and climate conditions. What can happen next? The M4 and M6 are very tight, M5 offers the same interior as the 550... however all of them have no automatic transmission and no xDrive. Just +100 whp RWD.

M-cars don't offer a winter program: with the first good snow you are a pedestrian. The forum member from Chicago who owns the most beautiful M6 ever http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936741 keeps anyway his 550xi for winter: http://www.6post.com/forums/showpost...p;postcount=39 Good to see people who can afford it

The most reasonable replacement to 550xi (or upgrade if you want) is IMO the 2015 650i xDrive GC. It will have all beauty and luxury of the 6-series but no issue with seats. Its N63TU can be easily tuned up to 500+ hp. The xDrive will keep it fast and safe all-season. Best choice.
Yes
As much as I would like a RWD to have fun I just can't see myself without XDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #28
BajandoDuro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
1. There's no point in going from an LCI 550 to an LCI 550d unless you just have money to burn and goes cross country a lot.

2. If you're going to blow $30-50k every 2 years in depreciation, then you might as well get the M6 and upgrade every 4?

3. If you're starting this thread now but won't upgrade for another 12-16 months, then it's pointless. In 16 months, we'll be looking at the next generation, G30, as an upgrade.

4. If you're worried about the snow, then why list any M cars at all unless you garage it during the winter. I used to live in Rochester which is probably as bad or worse than where you are. I would say it's a waste of money to garage it. That is unless you're filthy rich. But if you are filthy rich, then you wouldn't think twice about an M6. You'd buy the Ferrari.
1- Agree with you

2- Agree with you as well, I need to stop getting s new car every 12-18 Months

3- I was thinking about waiting for the G30 but I don't think it will be out any time soon. Remember that the M Cars come out months after the "regular" ones do. I was hoping for an XDrive M5/6

4- Agree with you on everything except the being rich part :

650GC XDrive it is until the new Generation BMW's come out
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
BajandoDuro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie
I have to say that due to the 6 series (lack of) practicality getting one would require you to be.
1. Single
2. Young in a childless relationship
3. Middle aged with grown up children
4. As a second or third vehicle.

The 6 coup is basically a 2 seater, you can get a toddler in back, but forget about adults for more than a 15 minute drive.
The GC have slightly more room in the back, but it's a 2+2 not a 5 seater, there might be a headroom issue if you are above 5.10.

If you frequently have 3 people or more in your car, don't get a 6 series.

The M5 is as far as Im concerned the perfect car.
You can fit 5 adults
With bags
You can take it shopping
You can take the kids to school or kindergarten
You can outrun pretty much any car on the motorways
You can take it to a track day and have loads of fun.
The versatility of the M5 is what makes it the best car in the world to me.

So in order to help anyone decide what car to get, we need to know how the car will be used, as a family's no1 car, or as a weekend toy.
I actually have a wife and 3 kids. I solved that problem by getting my wife a new Ford Explorer.

90% Of the drive I drive alone in my car. In fact, I've only driven the car with the whole clan 5-6 times since I first got it.

I'm most concerned about looks and Power and the only other car I can think of is the 6 Series. I always wanted an M5 but ended up getting my 550 because of XDrive. I don't really mind the rear seats on the 6GC.

Although I use my 550 as an everyday car, I have to say I make the best out of every drive. Every other day I find myself racing another guy in an M3 or even a 535, but it's mostly for fun, and the way my car handles at 100+ MPH, it puts a big smile on my face.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #30
Hobbe74
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F10 on order

As much as i like the 550i XDrive, the amount of awesomeness is not even near the 650i GC XDrive.
That car just brings a totally different presence and its a blast to drive! (Both are)
I would go for the 650GC XDrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #31
Hobbe74
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F10 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajandoDuro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Roughly 2-3 time that of in The US.
A basic M5 starts around usd225.000, 260.000 fully equipped.
M6 is around 20.000 more.

M4 starts at 150.000 and fully loaded 190.000

Here is what regular 5s cost, all prices in Usd with today's exchange rate.
550i starts at 160.000
535i starts at 107.000
528i starts at 80.000

M550d starts at 153.000 (xdrive standard)
535d starts at 110.000
530d starts at. 91.000
Most common Norwegian 5 is the 520d touring starting at 68.000usd.

Add 5000 for touring
Add 5000 for xdrive
And 25.000-30.000 if you checked all the boxes in the options list.

So yeah, it's quite a lot more than in the US.
However it is not directly comparable as average income is higher in Norway than in the US. I think it's about 65.000 at the moment, that is personal income, not household income.
I would say average household income in Norway is just over 100.000.
Hi Noggie,
I remember a period between 2005-2009 something, when working at a BMW dealership, it was quite usual we sold and exported cars from Sweden to Norway. But as i recall it was used cars, a year old or less.
Have they changed your tax rules so that its harder now since cars are half price in Sweden compared to Norway?

Oh and sorry for jacking your thread @BajandoDuro
Let's all go to Norway and import cars from Sweden

I'm pretty sure a lot of people are doing that
Lol!
You're probably right.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #32
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I love when people post 0 - 60 times like that is the only measure of a great car. A Porsche 911 (non S model) doesn't beat the M6, but the combination of handling, driver position, engine sound, interior layout etc. make it a car that many would aspire to own before the BMW M6. I doubt many would notice a zero - 60 time of 5 secs vs 4.3 in daily driving. What they will notice is the difference in weight and handling.

Of course, in Russia, the "Veeps" might prefer the GC as it lets them into a line of traffic before someone in a "lesser" car.
Thanks for telling me again why my post doesn't look helpful to you. Sorry you captured only 0 - 60 from the whole message to find what's wrong with it. I actually think about the OP question who lives in a specific area and used to have AWD. OK feel free to explain how Porsche 911 is better in snow, no problem And tell me more about Russia, I appreciate that knowledge from you.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #33
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajandoDuro View Post
I actually have a wife and 3 kids. I solved that problem by getting my wife a new Ford Explorer.

90% Of the drive I drive alone in my car. In fact, I've only driven the car with the whole clan 5-6 times since I first got it.

I'm most concerned about looks and Power and the only other car I can think of is the 6 Series. I always wanted an M5 but ended up getting my 550 because of XDrive. I don't really mind the rear seats on the 6GC.

Although I use my 550 as an everyday car, I have to say I make the best out of every drive. Every other day I find myself racing another guy in an M3 or even a 535, but it's mostly for fun, and the way my car handles at 100+ MPH, it puts a big smile on my face.
Them it sounds like you can justify a 6.
I have a BMW 850 as a summer/nice weather car.
Rear seats are absolutely useless, don't even understand why BMW bothered putting back seats in the car.
When I sit comfortably in the front seat (I'm 5.10) there is about 3" from my seat back to the rear seat pillow.
So in order to use the rear seat everyone in the car sits uncomfortably.
And the headroom, even at 5.10 I have to tilt my head in the back.
Having that car also means that another big coupè is out of the question for me.

But like you said, if you are alone in the car that much, go for it, I just wanted to make you think a little of how you use the car, not just how it looks and drives.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #34
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajandoDuro View Post

Unless you've taken your car to the track, I'm a bit concerned that you know how it handles at 100+ mph - consider your wife and 3 kids when you get the opportunity "every other day" to race an M3, 535, etc. Sorry to sound so glum, but I live in the same area, and my family shares the same roads with you - drive safely for everyone's sake, please! There were two M4s racing up and down i684 last weekend that nearly caused a bad wreck.

Regarding your question, if you haven't test driven the 650GC xDrive, I'd suggest doing so. I was recently considering a move from my 2014 550xi to this car. After driving it, my opinion changed quickly. I love the way it looks - but it was pretty disappointing to drive. The GC felt and handled like a significantly heavier car than the 550xi (granted mine has DHP - not sure the GC did). But it was almost like steering a boat. And in that way, it's also a considerably LONG car.

The RWD M cars aren't good for our weather here. I'd pass on any of those options. I'd honestly stick with the 550xi - still think it's the best sedan in the BMW line-up giving a great balance of performance, comfort, features, style, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #35
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, now we ended up with a question: why should the OP think about upgrading to another BMW, if his 550ix LCI seems to be the top (FWD) car? Actually why not

There are different rumors about the next generation G30, while introduction of a 600hp M5 FWD is still not excluded. Its direct opponent Mercedes E63 AMG already has the FWD and this is IMO а very serious advantage.

Update from BMW M: The new BMW M6 Coupé, new BMW M6 Convertible and new BMW M6 Gran Coupé.

Last edited by valbmw; 01-11-2015 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0