2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2014 535xi BMS Tune - Map Question

01-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
kjb914
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 X3M Comp

2014 535xi BMS Tune - Map Question

I'm sort of new to all this but I just want to make sure what Im running is safe.

I have a slightly older F Chassis JB4 which I bought last year although I never really loved it. My car was sort of jerky in cold weather and updating the firmware wasn't really easy because all I own is a Mac laptop. I also have a BMW Intake.
Recently I noticed I can now access my JB4 with a Mac so I decided to give it another try. I re-installed it and updated the firmware and put it back on Map 1. Everything seems great, no jerky feeling at all.

I recently read something that suggested it was safe to run Map 2 seeing as I have an intake and always run 93 octane. I confirmed it with a tech at BMS and gave it a try... I think now I understand what everyone is talking about and why everyone installs these things...it's like a new car! However I just want to really make sure this is all safe and Im not going to detonate my motor... Any feedback is much appreciated!! Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

Best way to tell is to log a 3rd gear wide open throttle pull. The link below has directions on how to do that. Posting your logs in the support forum on n54tech should get you some feedback on how the car is doing on map 2 with only a jb4 and intake. I'd personally also be interested in looking at it since I'm having a few issues with my jb4.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13465
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
kjb914
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLLsLow View Post
Best way to tell is to log a 3rd gear wide open throttle pull. The link below has directions on how to do that. Posting your logs in the support forum on n54tech should get you some feedback on how the car is doing on map 2 with only a jb4 and intake. I'd personally also be interested in looking at it since I'm having a few issues with my jb4.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13465
Okay I'll try and do that this week for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb914 View Post
I'm sort of new to all this but I just want to make sure what Im running is safe.

I have a slightly older F Chassis JB4 which I bought last year although I never really loved it. My car was sort of jerky in cold weather and updating the firmware wasn't really easy because all I own is a Mac laptop. I also have a BMW Intake.
Recently I noticed I can now access my JB4 with a Mac so I decided to give it another try. I re-installed it and updated the firmware and put it back on Map 1. Everything seems great, no jerky feeling at all.

I recently read something that suggested it was safe to run Map 2 seeing as I have an intake and always run 93 octane. I confirmed it with a tech at BMS and gave it a try... I think now I understand what everyone is talking about and why everyone installs these things...it's like a new car! However I just want to really make sure this is all safe and Im not going to detonate my motor... Any feedback is much appreciated!! Thanks guys.
Run map 1 or map 5 until you get downpipes

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: Additive target, around 4psi over stock.
Map 2: Additive target, around 6psi over stock. Suggested for those with 93 octane and bolt on modifications. Also good for small E85 mixtures.
Map 3: Progressive methanol mapping, absolute target of 11-20psi based on meth flow, meth additive setting, and average ignition values.
Map 4: Stock performance with JB4 active for logging only.
Map 5: Autotuning map, absolute target of 11-17psi based on octane and conditions.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0