2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes H&R Sway Bar Install and thoughts

02-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
H&R Sway Bar Install and thoughts

There are about 19 different threads on this subject already so I'm not going to go into great detail other than say this install was probably easier than doing my steering wheel cover. For real, really straight forward, done. Hardest part for me was getting the bushings on the rear bar as they didn't just easily slide on from the end. Plus I was stupid and decided I would put them on after I had the bar in place under the car so that I didn't have to deal with them getting in the way while I got the rear bar in position. Don't do that.

Anyway, there have been some people commenting about these being too stiff. I really can't imagine that at all. It simply eliminates body roll and does it very well. I suspect they have something else going on, another component that is the source of what they are not liking. I waited to get a strut tower bar until after I drove with these and after driving I actually want it stiffer. I didn't notice any issues with drive ability or comfort, no rough bumps, TBH, why don't these come stock!? What are the advantages of body roll anyway! As one person put it in their review 'I don't have to lean into turns anymore to prevent me from sliding out of my seat'!

My wife took a ride and she said it makes her less nauseous going through the twisties and asked if we could install something like this on her Sienna minivan!

Pics just cause:
Attached Images

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube

Last edited by BimmerHausPerformance; 02-01-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
John H.230.00
EV8634.00
      02-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

I have the same set on my car. It really firms up on hard corners. I like how it feels. I've run M5/650 combo and wimpy stock bars, however, H&R suit me best.

Dang, that impact looks serious. It is like bringing a cannon to a gunfight! You don't mess around!

Last edited by John H.; 02-01-2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
kohsin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
There are about 19 different threads on this subject already so I'm not going to go into great detail other than say this install was probably easier than doing my steering wheel cover. For real, really straight forward, done. Hardest part for me was getting the bushings on the rear bar as they didn't just easily slide on from the end. Plus I was stupid and decided I would put them on after I had the bar in place under the car so that I didn't have to deal with them getting in the way while I got the rear bar in position. Don't do that.

Anyway, there have been some people commenting about these being too stiff. I really can't imagine that at all. It simply eliminates body roll and does it very well. I suspect they have something else going on, another component that is the source of what they are not liking. I waited to get a strut tower bar until after I drove with these and after driving I actually want it stiffer. I didn't notice any issues with drive ability or comfort, no rough bumps, TBH, why don't these come stock!? What are the advantages of body roll anyway! As one person put it in their review 'I don't have to lean into turns anymore to prevent me from sliding out of my seat'!

My wife took a ride and she said it makes her less nauseous going through the twisties and asked if we could install something like this on her Sienna minivan!

Pics just cause:
Nice.. I have M5 and 650 away bars and they definitely made the difference.
By the way, time to upgrade the fog light to LED.😁
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

Looks good! Do you have any other suspension work done? Curious if this would be a good upgrade as I have the 704 suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I have nothing else done yet. Ordered a strut tower bar and Coil Overs, so I'll be dropping her soon. Thinking about welding in or doing my own rear strut tower bar.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
I have nothing else done yet. Ordered a strut tower bar and Coil Overs, so I'll be dropping her soon. Thinking about welding in or doing my own rear strut tower bar.
I would be curious to see what designs you come up with. Have not had a chance to familiarize myself with that area. I would imagine a brace between the shock towers would work, via trunk area, with minimal trimming of material.

Also, any designs on a ram air set-up would be greatly appreciated. Recently, I was snooping around area behind LF fog light, and had a few ideas. I don't have fogs, there is much empty space for me to work with, and the intake tube is right there!

Last edited by John H.; 02-06-2020 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Check out bmwdoubles thread on a custom air intake behind the left kidney grill - that will give you some ideas!
Appreciate 0