2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Help! Android to iDrive connection

02-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Help! Android to iDrive connection

Hi all,

I went from an iPhone 4, to a 5 and now got an Android. It is a Motorola RAZR HD running Android 4.1 My car is a 2012 535i MSport with Navi/iDrive

When I would connect to iDrive to play music through the iDrive interface, I had always connected the phone into the USB post in the center arm rest. Never use Y Cable, just plain USB to apple iphone cable. When I hit the CD button, it would pretty much immediately pick up the iPhone and I can select Playlists, music, etc.. and album art would display while playing. Never had an issue.

I am trying to connect the Motorola to the car the same way. USB to the phone through the USB port in the center arm rest. Nothing. When I hit CD it shows as if nothing is plugged in. The phone does not even charge. If I unplug the cable at the USB plug and replug, it will charge but thats it. The iDrive system doesnt see the phone.

When I plug it in it also doesnt ask me about using the device as a mass storage device which is what I am apparently expected to see.

Am I missing something?

Another point to note is the Bluetooth connection. It doesn appear to stay connected after pairing.

Anything anyone can do to help will be appreciated or else this phone goes up for sale !

Thanks
      02-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Just sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel
Just sell the car.
Thanks for all your help
      02-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel
Just sell the car.
Thanks for all your help
      02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
gicamuci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535ix

Garage List
Did not try mine through USB but I'll try and help you. How is your Android phone set to connect through the USB ? As media device ? Try and revert the actual setting.
Just look at the phone's screen after you connect it to the USB and it should ask you.
I have also an Android phone (4.0.1) but don't really use it as a media storage. Sometimes I listen to the internet radio over its Bluetooth connection. For storage I bought a 64GB USB memory stick. I can try mine in my car and let you know if mine works over the cable.
      02-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gicamuci
Did not try mine through USB but I'll try and help you. How is your Android phone set to connect through the USB ? As media device ? Try and revert the actual setting.
Just look at the phone's screen after you connect it to the USB and it should ask you.
I have also an Android phone (4.0.1) but don't really use it as a media storage. Sometimes I listen to the internet radio over its Bluetooth connection. For storage I bought a 64GB USB memory stick. I can try mine in my car and let you know if mine works over the cable.
That's one of the issues. When I plug the cable I don't even get prompted for the storage device type.

Even looking at the settings, there is no option to select mass storage device.
      02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
Thanks for all your help
No realy, you will not end up happy trying to get your phone linked up the way you think should be possible. I put in a couple of tons of work, it is simply not going to deliver what you want. Search the boards a little, you 'll find out...
So changing phones will not solve your problem, forgetting about it seems the best way, or selling the car and be a happy VW driver again.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with your Android phone. I too have a Moto Bionic running ICS. I have heard / read there are some problems with Jellybean if that's the current Android version you have on the Razr.

A couple of suggestions: (1) Be absolutely sure your Razr is up to date. Use Settings> About Phone > System updates. (2) In the United States Verizon (since you have a Moto Razr I thought you'd be a VZW customer) I am able to see the card in my Bionic - that's where I have my media stored. So, check your phone's file structure. See if using the "MEDIA" button on your idrive controller and access it that way.

If for some reason your BT continues to drop (even though your iPhones worked properly) there may be a BT problem with your Razr - have you tested it's BT connection to another car?

Once paired mine doesn't drop - BUT, sometimes the pairing is sluggish but it may due to the few hundred contacts I have and in other cases I forget to switch on the phone's BT, get in the car and do it then. That isn't always successful. So, I make it a practice to leave the phone BT "on" all the time.

Don't know if my comments will help. And after 3 Android phones that were great I was toying with moving to an iPhone. Maybe not :-( especially if BMW will be including Droids with ConnectedDrive in July or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I just use bluetooth. i works a treat....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

That's what I was about to ask, if USB is not working then Bluetooth should do the job!
      02-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW
Hi all,

I went from an iPhone 4, to a 5 and now got an Android. It is a Motorola RAZR HD running Android 4.1 My car is a 2012 535i MSport with Navi/iDrive

When I would connect to iDrive to play music through the iDrive interface, I had always connected the phone into the USB post in the center arm rest. Never use Y Cable, just plain USB to apple iphone cable. When I hit the CD button, it would pretty much immediately pick up the iPhone and I can select Playlists, music, etc.. and album art would display while playing. Never had an issue.

I am trying to connect the Motorola to the car the same way. USB to the phone through the USB port in the center arm rest. Nothing. When I hit CD it shows as if nothing is plugged in. The phone does not even charge. If I unplug the cable at the USB plug and replug, it will charge but thats it. The iDrive system doesnt see the phone.

When I plug it in it also doesnt ask me about using the device as a mass storage device which is what I am apparently expected to see.

Am I missing something?

Another point to note is the Bluetooth connection. It doesn appear to stay connected after pairing.

Anything anyone can do to help will be appreciated or else this phone goes up for sale !

Thanks
Go back to iOs :-))
      02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rori zahr
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW
Hi all,

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Done
      02-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by rori zahr View Post
Lol. Exactly what I plan to do, clincher was when my overrated Galaxy S3 won't even stream music via Bluetooth with my iDrive. My Brothers iPhone on the other hand is totally transparent and perfect with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Lol. Exactly what I plan to do, clincher was when my overrated Galaxy S3 won't even stream music via Bluetooth with my iDrive. My Brothers iPhone on the other hand is totally transparent and perfect with it.
BMW Apple BMW apple BMW Apple... 2 brands I just can't live without
      02-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
BMW Apple BMW apple BMW Apple... 2 brands I just can't live without
They go hand in hand indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
theracerboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Thats what I did,
GO BACK TO IOS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracerboss View Post
Thats what I did,
GO BACK TO IOS
I did. Up and running again on my iPhone 5, and happy again!

FS: Motorola RAZR HD
      02-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
BrianVB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
I did. Up and running again on my iPhone 5, and happy again!

FS: Motorola RAZR HD
I have a DroidX with Android 2.3.4 and Bluetooth audio works perfectly in my 2012 550i. Also from the USB. The audio is found in "External Devices".
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
olebrumm
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 525DA

I have an Samsung S3 and bluetooth, mail and msg are working just fine...
      03-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #20
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Hey, I'm also a VW/Audi to BMW convert! The one thing I dislike about Verizon is they're very slow about pushing Android phone updates. Check Motorola's site for any phone updates first and then visit the BMW website for updates for your radio! On the BMW site you can enter in the last 7 of your VIN and you can download your radio update to a USB stick and install.

Good and I hope the radio update solves your issue.

Will
      03-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #21
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

I have 2011 F10 535xi M-Sport w/ Navigation & Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD, and had similar issues once I first connected the phone via Bluetooth to the car. After a bunch of trips to the dealer and a lot of screaming and cursing and getting ready to fling the phone down the block ... I stumbled upon the solution, and all is working well since.

I am on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean & RAZR MAXX HD

So ... all you need to do is update the firmware on the BMW.

1. http://www.bmw.com/update
2. Download newest firmware and save it to usb flash drive
3. Insert flash drive into USB port in center console.
4. Using iDrive ... go to Settings, Update, Update Software.
5. Pair phone to BMW and enjoy Phone & Bluetooth audio without issue!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
tchen811
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

my 2013 550i and my Galaxy S3 works perfectly via BT... able to stream music and take/make calls and even read my text messages for me. It was real easy to setup too.
Appreciate 0