2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Internet in my new F10?

07-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Vatslav
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Internet in my new F10?

Hey guys,
First of all thank you for a great and helpful forum!

I just got my BMW F10 (520D) Wow, what a great car, especially after a VW!!
But how the hell can I get e.g. Google to work in it?
It does have the navi prof (with the wide screen). I have tried to enable internet sharing on my iPhone 4. But still get the message "This feature is not available in this country" or something.

What am I doing wrong? Or do I really need to pay for that service?

Thank you very much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

I am pretty sure that you have to pay for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue

Internet is a chargeable option in the UK (option code 614 - £95)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep

UK have Connected Drive. Denmark not. Att OP: You don't have to swear. Have you got SA 6NR? Did you buy your car in Denmark or Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
UK have Connected Drive. Denmark not. Att OP: You don't have to swear. Have you got SA 6NR? Did you buy your car in Denmark or Germany.
6NR - Mobile application preparation. With BMW Connected App. Connects your iPhone to the car. Paid for option in the UK. Requires BMW Navigation System Professional Multimedia in the UK.

Web radio (usage possible while the iPhone is connected to the vehicle and also outside of the vehicle): Experience the fascination of being able to receive and listen to countless internet radio stations from all over the world. Different search functions such as by genre, country or top stations make it easy to find your favourites.

Twitter / Facebook (usage possible only while the iPhone is connected to the vehicle): The latest status updates from the community are displayed in the vehicle. In this way you stay networked all the time, wherever you happen to be. What is more, you can send pre-defined texts relating to current vehicle information during travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

Quote:
Att OP: You don't have to swear.
Yes, please...for the love of God

I am sure your dealer, or better yet a local coder can sort this all out for you. All of the functionality is in your CIC, it's just a matter of activating it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Vatslav
Registered
Rep

Thank you guys. And sorry for swearing
I do have bluetooth in car and it is imported from Germany.

I will try to go to the dealer today and ask what they can do about it

Once again, thank you for replies
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Quote:
Swear? Seriously? There are a lot worse words than that; his word is SFW, not NSFW.

Geez some people.

Back to original topic - on earlier build (pre-Combox cars), for directions from the Internet, you either:

1. Have to pay for BMW Assist (USA, not sure of other countries)
>>> I did this for a year. Not worth $199 for weather/gas prices/neutered Google Local
2. Use the BMW Assist app and "Send to Vehicle"
3. Use Google Maps (via PC) and Send to... Car.

BMW CCA # 493835
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
..Att OP: You don't have to swear...
Where's the swearing?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Soft
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A7 3.0 TSFI

I was just about to comment on the swearing, saying that Scandinavians do NOT use the swearing as a "ugly or bad way of commenting", when I saw it was a fellow Norwegian who actually did comment on it!
Geez :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

It is not very functional.
Better leave this alone and just use your pda.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel View Post
It is not very functional.
Better leave this alone and just use your pda.
If giving you access to the whole world wide web, night or day is "not very functional" then I'm my fannie's aunt.

It is, however, true to say that the same functionality is duplicated in your smartphone.

However, as a BMW option, this one is as close to free as you can get.

If I ever lose, drop or forget to take my phone it will be very handy to be able to contact someone quite quickly.

Also, the screen is way bigger than a phone, which may be handy for some images.

The real question is - why wouldn't you tick this £95 option? An oversight maybe?
      07-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
doctom
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
If giving you access to the whole world wide web, night or day is "not very functional" then I'm my fannie's aunt.

It is, however, true to say that the same functionality is duplicated in your smartphone.

However, as a BMW option, this one is as close to free as you can get.

If I ever lose, drop or forget to take my phone it will be very handy to be able to contact someone quite quickly.

Also, the screen is way bigger than a phone, which may be handy for some images.

The real question is - why wouldn't you tick this £95 option? An oversight maybe?
I think that Vatslav has 6NR option enabled, but the problem is that this "free" internet works only in UK, Germany and I think Austria.
He said the he bought the car in Germany, so Internet in his car would work in Germany, but it's not working in Denmark.

I know this because I have the same problem. I bought the car in Germany and Internet worked while I drove through Germany and Austria but it's not working in my home country, Croatia.

It gives me the same message "not supported in this county".

One would think that it would be possible to connect to Internet via Bluetooth and mobile phone, but if you have 6NR enabled it is no longer possible

Or, perhaps, somebody knows a way to code this into the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #14
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom View Post
I think that Vatslav has 6NR option enabled, but the problem is that this "free" internet works only in UK, Germany and I think Austria.
He said the he bought the car in Germany, so Internet in his car would work in Germany, but it's not working in Denmark.

I know this because I have the same problem. I bought the car in Germany and Internet worked while I drove through Germany and Austria but it's not working in my home country, Croatia.

It gives me the same message "not supported in this county".

One would think that it would be possible to connect to Internet via Bluetooth and mobile phone, but if you have 6NR enabled it is no longer possible

Or, perhaps, somebody knows a way to code this into the car?
Ah, that's interesting. BMW will have agreements in each country with different carriers - I hadn't thought of that.

If you had bought the car in Croatia, would the internet function have worked? Or is it only offered in UK, Germany & Austria?

I think Audi does offer the facility to use the driver's mobile phone internet connection (along with suitable disclaimers about checking with your carrier about cost etc). You would think it would be but a simple software change to make it so in our 609 navigation systems...

BTW, my daughter has just come back after two weeks in Croatia - she says it is an amazingly beautiful country with cool people. I think I may be across next year!
      07-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
doctom
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Ah, that's interesting. BMW will have agreements in each country with different carriers - I hadn't thought of that.

If you had bought the car in Croatia, would the internet function have worked? Or is it only offered in UK, Germany & Austria?

I think Audi does offer the facility to use the driver's mobile phone internet connection (along with suitable disclaimers about checking with your carrier about cost etc). You would think it would be but a simple software change to make it so in our 609 navigation systems...

BTW, my daughter has just come back after two weeks in Croatia - she says it is an amazingly beautiful country with cool people. I think I may be across next year!
No, it's not an option in BMW Croatia and I think that the above 3 countries are the only ones in which BMW provides this service.

It would have been nice if you could select connection to internet through BMW Connected Drive or through your own phone and not that 6NR disables phone connection permanently.

I'm glad you daughter liked it here, you should visit too (I'm visiting UK at least once a year, so it would be only fair )
Appreciate 0