2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Costs for Bodywork - Reasonable?

10-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Costs for Bodywork - Reasonable?

Hey guys.

Long time no post since I joined and last had a BMW! So, long story short I've just bought myself an f11 525d touring High Executive here in the Netherlands where I now live having abandoned London. Cracking car I have to say, much faster than my last f10 523 even if I've gone to the dark side of diesel!

Cars here are pretty damn expensive due to luxury taxes and I got a cracking deal on a 2011 car from the buttf!ck of beyond saving 10k of what a dealer would have charged of 40k euros.

The car has a low mileage, great spec too but as I got a good price I will get bits of work done myself as I'm really picky when it comes to how clean my motors are, having restored cars in the past.

It needs the two rear flanks painting after a crap paint job to cover vandalism where the lacquers peeling, one rear door painting to remove the remainder of a scratch, three very small dents pulling out, a new door entry trim where the BMW letters have blown off, fly marks polishing out the front bumper, four new wheel roundels and a door trim replacing where it's got a small dent. A bit to be fair. I've just been quoted 1,600 euros (about 1,200 GBP) for the all above VAT inclusive by one if the biggest groups here Stern, who are the main Mercedes dealer on insurance rates. Waiting on BMW but guess this will be significantly more. Both have 4 year warranties on all work.

This sounds ok to me, considering the amount of paint and dent pulling etc involved. How does it sound to you all? On a cheaper older car I would not bother, but the cost of them here it's worth it and I know the damage is there even though the average Jo would never spot it.

Sod's law in London I have Sira motors in Dagenham who've always done all my bodywork, but at a 600 mile round trip screw that for a laugh.

Thanks in advance, James

Here's a pic too....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Sounds ok to me with 4 years insurance
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Got the BMW quote in too and only marginally more expensive, therefore that's where it will be going. Sod's law reversed it into a bin too even with parking sensors. Another dent to add to the list...typical!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
alexank
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

Well after I um 'reversed' into a crash barrier! I did all the mechanicals myself but the bodywork and paint to correct this

to this

Cost me £1600 form a very good local independant

Near rear quarter panel fitted, then whole car side and rear bumper repainted.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ouch! Good repair :-) I think it's more expensive here as the Dutch way of life is generally paying more for things. I just wish I was in the UK so I could use my trusted guys but that's life. You were lucky you got out ok if you had an argument with a crash barrier!
Appreciate 0