2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Why Debadge a BMW

06-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #177
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmat
I would be interested to know why do some BMW drivers debadge their cars..?. I have noticed here in the UK more and more F10`s without their engine size...why do drivers do this is...what is the real reason..?
1- No dirt in between/around the badge or gathered salt for example from the roads in winter.
2- clean look
3- stealth
4- none of ur business message
5- to show it is ordered and not bought or picked up from the show room ... is often the case.

And there are so many Ms' debadged so....
      06-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #178
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh1988 View Post
The annoying thing for me is that i have a 520d and i want to go down the debadged route because its easier to clean and i think looks better but i dont want to actually look like im trying to conceal the fact that i have a 520d. I'm proud of it!
Just pretend it's my 530d - I don't mind
And BMW agrees with u I guess since it is their best selling engine in Europe.
So people judge one another by the engine size... no one pretends anything here I guess. It is a 5 series after all people. U bought the car because u want it and like it period.

hmm wonder why Ferraris debadge their cars
      06-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #179
obiltagi3
V.I.P.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 2011, F10 550i 2015

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
It just looks cleaner. If I had an X Drive, I'd pull those badges too. I could care less which model/engine people 'think' I've got - I know what I've got. Plus, anyone who knows the U.S. F10 can tell a 528 from a 535 from a 550 - they all have different rear bumpers and tailpipe configurations.
+1
BMC - Vorsteiner Exhaust - ER Chargepipe - AR Catless DP - MHD Stage 2 - FMIC
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #180
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The motivation for debadging, like every other motivation in life, will likely differ from person to person - and maybe even culture to culture (country to country). Just as you have young and old, slow and fast, conservative and liberal, and all other contrasts driving a 5 series... it's hard to nail down a question like this with a one-size-fits-all answer.

Clearly some people debadge because they're OCD about the "clean look" of the car, and the badge interferes. I can see that to some degree. Others debadge to hide their engine size... whether too small OR too big (although I suppose too small is more common). Others still may debadge simply to give their car a more custom look from the run-of-the-mill.

Whatever the motivation may be, I think it's a personal choice for people, and that's good enough for me. I'm all about stock - I don't like messing with my cars, so I'd probably never consider debadging... similarly as I don't consider swapping wheels, adding tint, changing body kits, etc, etc. I'm a bit boring that way. But it's all personal touch. And if people don't want their model number advertised to the world, so be it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #181
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
It just looks cleaner. If I had an X Drive, I'd pull those badges too. I could care less which model/engine people 'think' I've got - I know what I've got. Plus, anyone who knows the U.S. F10 can tell a 528 from a 535 from a 550 - they all have different rear bumpers and tailpipe configurations.
It's not so easy here, we got 518, 520, 525, 528 and 530 (mix of 'i' and 'd') with the same exhaust comfiguration as the US 528i.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #182
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
It's not so easy here, we got 518, 520, 525, 528 and 530 (mix of 'i' and 'd') with the same exhaust comfiguration as the US 528i.
Out of curiosity, do you still have the 535i/d and 550i/d options there?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #183
BigK
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 2013 528xi; 2012 VW Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
If I summarize this thread, here are the conclusions:

1) In the UK the people who debadge are largely embarrassed to be driving an entry level model, and those with the real thing typically do not debadge.

2) In Europe where society is increasingly communistic and having a few bucks more than the average 35 hour per week manual laborer is considered social exploitation, people often debadge for both cultural reasons. Further some on the continent genuinely believe in minimalism and so a few debadge for optics.

3) The US has a bunch of oddballs who debadge high end models for reasons of aesthetics. However the embarrassment factor in the US of driving a car with a small engine is typically addressed by getting quad exhausts on a 4 cylinder snail powered 528i.
Big deal you drive a M5, that doesn’t mean shit. I don’t understand why in your mind people should be embarrassed of driving entry level models, I mean you’d have to have some major self-esteem issues to be embarrassed about driving a BMW, any model. If you have to feel good about yourself via a bigger engine size, then you must be lacking somewhere else…
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #184
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigK View Post
Big deal you drive a M5, that doesn’t mean shit. I don’t understand why in your mind people should be embarrassed of driving entry level models, I mean you’d have to have some major self-esteem issues to be embarrassed about driving a BMW, any model. If you have to feel good about yourself via a bigger engine size, then you must be lacking somewhere else…
I don't know Stealth (have seen his posts around on the M5 board), but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a semi-sarcastic comment. I say "semi" because, even if in jest, it's still somewhat true that many people debadge (and also RE-badge, here in the US at least) to make their engine size a bit more ambiguous. I certainly agree with you, though, that your engine size is nothing to be embarrassed about - as you said, certainly any BMW is a worthy vehicle. However, we all know how the typical male mind works, too... so, while I'd like to discount the comment altogether and pretend like it's an ideal world, I know better... and to most men, maybe moreso for those who drive BMWs, "size matters."

My first BMW was a 325i with 184hp. I drove it with pride for 6.5 years and 125k miles. And while I always glanced over at the 330i in the next lane, I never once felt the need to debadge to hide my engine size. That car was a hoot to drive, and I loved it.

We should also take note that this thread is 2+ years old now.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #185
BigK
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I don't know Stealth (have seen his posts around on the M5 board), but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a semi-sarcastic comment. I say "semi" because, even if in jest, it's still somewhat true that many people debadge (and also RE-badge, here in the US at least) to make their engine size a bit more ambiguous. I certainly agree with you, though, that your engine size is nothing to be embarrassed about - as you said, certainly any BMW is a worthy vehicle. However, we all know how the typical male mind works, too... so, while I'd like to discount the comment altogether and pretend like it's an ideal world, I know better... and to most men, maybe moreso for those who drive BMWs, "size matters."

My first BMW was a 325i with 184hp. I drove it with pride for 6.5 years and 125k miles. And while I always glanced over at the 330i in the next lane, I never once felt the need to debadge to hide my engine size. That car was a hoot to drive, and I loved it.

We should also take note that this thread is 2+ years old now.
I may have misunderstood, if so, apologies. I’m just tired of people bashing entry level models (328i, 528i etc.), making them sound like POS where in fact these cars have very little difference to their bigger engine brothers. I’m not sure if they know that there’re a lot of people on the forum own entry level models and that’s a huge disrespect.

It’s ok that you like bigger engines, more power to you. But you don’t have to go around and bashing others’ cars. Would it be justified if I come on here and call all BMW’s regardless of engine sizes POS if I own a V12 Bentley? Respect is mutual, nobody cares what car you drive, just enjoy it without bashing others’.

My frustration isn’t towards you Ezmaass, just speaking in general.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #186
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

BigK,

I read the post you quoted from stealth.pilot and am having trouble grasping what triggered such a reaction from you.

"Self esteem issues .... must be lacking somewhere else..." - wow, where did all that come from?

What did the Old Bard say - Thou do protest too loudly ?

So what does a BigK signature say to the world
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #187
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigK View Post
I may have misunderstood, if so, apologies. I’m just tired of people bashing entry level models (328i, 528i etc.), making them sound like POS where in fact these cars have very little difference to their bigger engine brothers. I’m not sure if they know that there’re a lot of people on the forum own entry level models and that’s a huge disrespect.

It’s ok that you like bigger engines, more power to you. But you don’t have to go around and bashing others’ cars. Would it be justified if I come on here and call all BMW’s regardless of engine sizes POS if I own a V12 Bentley? Respect is mutual, nobody cares what car you drive, just enjoy it without bashing others’.

My frustration isn’t towards you Ezmaass, just speaking in general.
I hear you. Like I said, I owned and loved a 325i (the most entry of entry level models at the time in the US) for 6.5 years. I don't want to speak for Stealth, but I sensed a bit of jest in his post - but also a bit of truth in it. I don't think he meant any disrespect towards any entry level owners... but I think he was being realistic, in part, by suggesting that SOME (clearly a subset, and probably a small minority) of the folks who debadge their cars do so to "hide" the fact that it's a smaller engine... and at the same time do things like slap on quad exhausts, M badges, and the whole nine yards. So, it's a fine line between showing respect and also peppering in some truth.

That said, all of us F10 guys are brethren here, so let's sing Kumbaya and be happy we get to own such marvelous vehicles!
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #188
BigK
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
I hear you. Like I said, I owned and loved a 325i (the most entry of entry level models at the time in the US) for 6.5 years. I don't want to speak for Stealth, but I sensed a bit of jest in his post - but also a bit of truth in it. I don't think he meant any disrespect towards any entry level owners... but I think he was being realistic, in part, by suggesting that SOME (clearly a subset, and probably a small minority) of the folks who debadge their cars do so to "hide" the fact that it's a smaller engine... and at the same time do things like slap on quad exhausts, M badges, and the whole nine yards. So, it's a fine line between showing respect and also peppering in some truth.

That said, all of us F10 guys are brethren here, so let's sing Kumbaya and be happy we get to own such marvelous vehicles!
Enough said.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #189
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
What did the Old Bard say - Thou do protest too loudly ?
Can't help myself - neurotic Shakespeare wonk.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Lady Gertrude. Hamlet.

2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #190
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Boulder Bill - well, I was close - going from too little memory from too many years ago I guess :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #191
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Very close!

I loved the reference. You probably use 2-3 phrases from Hamlet weekly.

But the better part of valor is discretion (Henry IV), so I will stay out of the debadging fray.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #192
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you still have the 535i/d and 550i/d options there?
Yes we do, but the small price difference from a 550i up to an M5 makes these extremely rare.
We have a import tax system based on Weight, HP and CO2 emissions.
That means that there is not much of a difference between a 550i and an M5, both sporting a V8 with similar emissions and weight.
That way buying a 550i and not put the few extra bucks in for an M5 makes no sense.

I think I have seen 2 or 3 550i for sale in the past 2 years, there are some M550d's but all are wagons like mine, and I guess those who buy them are the people who wants the M5 touring BMW decided not to make.

So you will see lot's of 535i/d, but the most common model is the 520i/d.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #193
Bowers
Rep
Drives: F10 2013

I never really understood why cars have badges at all telling the size of the engine... There are no badges that state what kind of leather I have on my seats? Or how many loudspeakers the car has... And I care alot more about the seats I sit in or how the music sounds while I'm in the car... The engine is just there to move the car from where I am to where I'm going...

I don't wear a t-shirt telling my dic* size... (Ok, sometimes I do... but you get the point)

To answer the question... there are many good reasons for de-badging the car. A bunch of letters on the rear just looks out of place and stupid in my opinion. The only reason for telling the engine size on the back of the car has got to be "Look, mine is bigger than your's" or something similar.

But hey... that's just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #194
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

I personally like the clean look of no badges ... all emblems were removed wihtin 2 hours of delivery on every car I buy ... also dealer is given specific instructions that if they install a front plate bracket ... they will be ordering a new car, as I will not take delivery ... remember clean look
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #195
Dan1416
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 528 x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84
I personally like the clean look of no badges ... all emblems were removed wihtin 2 hours of delivery on every car I buy ... also dealer is given specific instructions that if they install a front plate bracket ... they will be ordering a new car, as I will not take delivery ... remember clean look
That's funny cause I tell them the same thing. And I have debadged every car I've ever owned. It looks much cleaner and it's easier to clean. I don't care what engine people think I have because it makes no difference to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #196
jaydiem8
Rep
Drives: 535i

+1 cleaner look
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #197
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1416 View Post
That's funny cause I tell them the same thing. And I have debadged every car I've ever owned. It looks much cleaner and it's easier to clean. I don't care what engine people think I have because it makes no difference to me.
great minds think alike ... plus i can tell your engine size by your tail pipes ... j/k .. i don't really care
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #198
Dan1416
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 528 x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1416 View Post
great minds think alike ... plus i can tell your engine size by your tail pipes ... j/k .. i don't really care
Lol exactly!
Appreciate 0