2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is ARS, Integral active steering and luxury seating package worth the money?

11-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #23
SchwarzerM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
If you need to ask.... Probably not for you...
well, I'd like to get some first hand experience reports to make up my mind....
The feature itself seems to be usefull but does it work in real life as intended?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerM3 View Post
How about the active cruise control??? Thats a very expensice option...is it worth it?
Unless you never drive long distances on motorways. Unless you've never been stuck in stop and go jams. Imagine if you never had to accelerate and break and could relax your feet for hours (of course always be ready to react on the break manually!). It's quite expensive so I was on the fence about it but I think it's worth every penny/cent.

In real life it works as advertised with one caveat: when someone cuts you off / moves into your lane ACC applies the breaks if it can't maintain the distance by merely decelerating - this results in one thing - people behind you get a bit pissed at you. Then again that's what you're supposed to do if you'd want to maintain a safe distance to the vehicle in front of you.

Last edited by Breach; 11-12-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #25
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

These posts are spot on about most of the available options for the 5 series. My 2011 550i with xDrive doesn't have night-vision but my wife's parents' 2009 535xi does and we've found it useful when driving through Rock Creek Park or the suburbs of Washington, DC. Night vision allows us to easily pick out deer before any incident can occur. My wife has also been able to pick out parked police cars at speed-traps because of the glow under their cars.
      11-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I've got active cruise on my 330..... very good, would get it again but it is not autopilot. There are times when you need to intervene and times when it intervenes for you when you don't want it to. Usual times when it brakes when I don't want it to are:

- you are approaching a car on a freeway and intend to change lanes and pass. It starts to slow you down before you change lanes

- there is a bend in a multi-lane road and a truck is ahead in a different lane. Truck is in the bend, you have not yet entered the bend. ACC picks up the truck and thinks it is in your lane and slows you down, sometimes violently slows you down when actually the truck is in the next lane over.
Appreciate 0