2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New Member

06-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Hi

A new member from Southport, Merseyside, I've come over from the e90 forum having just upgraded (don't tell e90Post I said that ) to an F10. The car is being delivered Wednesday morning, which can't come soon enough - Spec is:

2015 F10 M Sport Plus 520d (B47 190 bhp) with 8 speed auto and flappy paddles, in Carbon Black with Oyster Leather, Anthracite Woodgrain, High gloss shadow line, Sunshade Glazing and 19” M Double Spoke 351 wheels. Toys and optional extras include:
Pro Nav / DAB-Tuner
Instrument cluster, expanded equipment
Xenon headlights with LED Fogs
Harman Kardon
Electric Folding Mirrors
Electric, heated Sports Seats
Front and Rear PDC
Tyre pressure control
Reversing camera
TeleServices; Connected Drive; Real Time Traffic Information; Concierge service; Remote Services;

It doesn’t have extended Bluetooth and Office, which is a shame, but they can probably be coded in later.

The only photos I have are the from the dealer but still better than nothing:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Very Nice! Congrats

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Stunning.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Good move to an F10, I went from an E91 to F11.

Good spec and trim choice, makes an interior more special, IMO, than the common black.

I'm at my dealer at present, service time, will be checking out the stock.

As a side point the 535i was a superb ride down this morning. With average speed cameras on the A9, OBC was reading 38.6mpg when I arrived at the garage after 83 miles.

Enjoy the pick up and the car!

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good move to an F10, I went from an E91 to F11.

Good spec and trim choice, makes an interior more special, IMO, than the common black

HighlandPete
I like the Black / Aluminium in the e90 but it seems to cheapens the F10 (IMO) and just doesn't look right.

Quote:

As a side point the 535i was a superb ride down this morning. With average speed cameras on the A9, OBC was reading 38.6mpg when I arrived at the garage after 83 miles.

HighlandPete
I've read a few reports from owners with the new B47 engine complaining about the fuel consumption but I'm hoping for a bit more than 38, but it's excellent for a 335i.

Quote:

Enjoy the pick up and the car!

HighlandPete
It's being delivered at lunchtime tomorrow then I go straight up into the Pennines on appointments, by the time I get home I'll have done about 150 miles with a 50/50 split on motorways and A/B roads, which I'm looking forward to and will give me a good idea of fuel consumption and how the car performs
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Flyboy-fil
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d B47

After 10 months of B47 power I find the economy good, can easily average very high 40's (say 48-49) on long runs with 4 up doing 80/85 ish but to achieve the spectacular figures quoted by bmw you need to drive really slowly, 50-60 then it can get 60mpg. However it's much quieter than a friends N47 model and once moving I don't find it much noisier than my brothers 530d of the same age. (But you can tell the difference between them when pulling away and at low speeds but once the road noise takes over then the engine is very quiet).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

I did about 150 miles yesterday and can confirm mpg figures in the high 40s on a mix of motorway and A/B roads, and not far short of the figures I got out of the e90.

Whilst cruising around the legal limit, it easily returns well over 50 mpg but drive up hills or in stop/start in traffic, and the extra weight translates into a big dip in mpg, but that is to be expected on a big heavy car like the 5 series, and I suspect that many of the complaints of poor mpg may well be down to this.

As for the rest of the car, to say I am pleased with it would be a huge understatement. For a 520d it certainly is no slouch and, for a big heavy car; it handles very well, although I’d prefer slightly heavier steering with a bit more feel to it, but that is a minor niggle.

The M Sport suspension / 19” runflats give a firm but not harsh ride, which is a huge improvement over the e90 which could knock fillings out at times.

The subdued noise levels are a joy (the e90 could give a good impression of the inside of a washing machine) and the F10 is generally a fairly quiet place to be, and the excellent Harmon Kardon setup can be appreciated at much lower volumes, yet still deliver decent bass. I’m not an expert but IMO the Harmon Kardon knocks spots off the Gladen / Mosconi setup I had in the e90.

The NBT is exactly what it says on the tin, the graphics are superb and it’s much faster / easier to use, particularly with the touchpad on top of the iController, which makes searches a breeze.

My only niggles are the very light steering as mentioned, the is NO adjustable lumbar support on the M Sport seats and there are no LEDs on the exterior door handles (only with ambient lighting) , the latter 2 were on the e90 so I’m a bit miffed that they’ve been omitted from the F10

I haven’t found anywhere to mount my phone yet, the 2 Brodit mounts put it either on the side of the centre console ready to take someones kneecap off or the middle of the dash, neither of which looks exactly convenient – has anyone come up with any good ideas on phone mounts?

Sorry for the comparisons to an e90, which I know is largely unfair, but it’s the only yardstick I have..

So far so good, the car is a pleasure to drive, onwards and upwards
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Hi Ian

Great car, glad you're pleased with it.

Re the Harman Kardon, I've upgraded my mids/tweeters with BSW units, and will post a separate thread on that soon. Sound is pretty much perfect now, apart from a lack of real bass slam. Far too expensive to do anything about that though.

I had Gladen 201, driven by a JL Audio XD600/6 amp, on my last F10, and was not impressed. Plenty of volume, but it sounded harsh to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Re the Harman Kardon, I've upgraded my mids/tweeters with BSW units, and will post a separate thread on that soon. Sound is pretty much perfect now, apart from a lack of real bass slam. Far too expensive to do anything about that though.

I had Gladen 201, driven by a JL Audio XD600/6 amp, on my last F10, and was not impressed. Plenty of volume, but it sounded harsh to me.
Doh!!, I swore I wouldn't mess with the F!0 but I'd be interested to read your opinion of the BSW units, did they ever release the subs?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #11
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Hi Ian

BSW say: "We've already confirmed beta-testing and are waiting on production samples to audition - we're expecting a November release for the woofers".

Not sure I'll bother though: the factory HK bass is good enough for me most of the time.

I've posted a separate review thread.
Appreciate 0