2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is "guess and replace" how you fix a vibration?

12-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive M sport

Exclamation Is "guess and replace" how you fix a vibration?

I had an accident and causes the car to vibrates, it's from this link
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464296

The dealer said that he's looking at a cost about 450 to replace a bearing and do a rear alignment
He said he "guess" that it's the bearing causing the problem, but he's not sure with it. He said that no one would be sure even with breaking it apart, all he can do is replace the bearing first and see if it still vibrates.

I asked how if he had a wrong guess, he said that all he can do is order more parts and keep trying.........................
I'm not familiar with fixing a car at all, but this sounds pretty ridiculous...
Please let me know what you guys think

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Your original forum message describing the incident you had, and the fact you damaged the wheel so badly, reminded me of a similar one my Aunt had. She seriously curbed her (brand new at the time) Lexus LS400 once and as a result, the dealer ended up having to replace the bearing. I would have never suspected it, but after driving the car pre and post bearing install......made all the difference in the world and got the car back to driving like new. A new bearing assembly may be a guess, but not so ridiculous. If you have not replaced the tire yet, I would start there first..... As others have suggested, it may look new, but be out of whack due to the hit.

Let us know what happens. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Your original forum message describing the incident you had, and the fact you damaged the wheel so badly, reminded me of a similar one my Aunt had. She seriously curbed her (brand new at the time) Lexus LS400 once and as a result, the dealer ended up having to replace the bearing. I would have never suspected it, but after driving the car pre and post bearing install......made all the difference in the world and got the car back to driving like new. A new bearing assembly may be a guess, but not so ridiculous. If you have not replaced the tire yet, I would start there first..... As others have suggested, it may look new, but be out of whack due to the hit.

Let us know what happens. Good Luck.
Thanks for the reply ghueser,

Really hope that it's the bearing. I was kinda mad when he said that if the bearing doesn't fix the problem he'll make more guesses which sounds like an experiment of the dealership that I have to sponsor with.

I asked the dealership about my tire, but they said that the tire appeared to have no problem at all on the balance machine, which I couldn't replaced it with road hazard warranty... Some says that it'll only be above a certain speed that the tire revealed it's deformation, is this the case even if the balance machine is showing good result?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Did the dealer think about using another new car wheel/tire and just try it on your car for a short stink on the Highway? They have to have some salesman there driving a car with similar package right? Even if it was a brand new car....... a few miles on a tire just to check would do no harm. I would ask if they could try this out....and that you are still not convinced that the tire is OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Going by the picture, that's significant damage and the tyre would have momentarily sustained major sidewall deformation between the rim and what you hit.
Assuming that you have RFT's you should replace the tyre ASAP. Runflats have much thicker sidewalls than conventional tyres and internal structural damage is usually invisible to the naked eye.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Going by the picture, that's significant damage and the tyre would have momentarily sustained major sidewall deformation between the rim and what you hit.
Assuming that you have RFT's you should replace the tyre ASAP. Runflats have much thicker sidewalls than conventional tyres and internal structural damage is usually invisible to the naked eye.
Will it cause further damage to other things such as rims if I don't replace them till the damages are detectable by balance machine?
Because I can only wait until the damages are detectable to claim a warranty on that...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77562887 View Post
Will it cause further damage to other things such as rims if I don't replace them till the damages are detectable by balance machine?
Because I can only wait until the damages are detectable to claim a warranty on that...
As 'ghuser' suggests, get the dealer to fit an undamaged wheel/tyre and take it for a drive after you've had the alignment checked, but don't rely on a balance machine to detect any internal tyre damage. Going by the picture, I would recommend a new tyre and I'm surprised that your dealer doesn't concur.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
As 'ghuser' suggests, get the dealer to fit an undamaged wheel/tyre and take it for a drive after you've had the alignment checked, but don't rely on a balance machine to detect any internal tyre damage. Going by the picture, I would recommend a new tyre and I'm surprised that your dealer doesn't concur.
^^^ +1

I'm surprised they didn't try another wheel to eliminate tyre issues.

I don't completely follow the wheel bearing vibration... if it is not the tyre, I'd suspect something is bent and running out of balance.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0