2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB4 Connect Kit V3 install

12-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

JB4 Connect Kit V3 install

2011 550i- Anyone here have this installed and if so, where did you tap the power and ground to? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
2011 550i- Anyone here have this installed and if so, where did you tap the power and ground to? Thanks
i don't even know what that is.. link please
      12-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
i don't even know what that is.. link please
There you are sir...

http://www.burgertuning.com/bluetoot...nnect_kit.html
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

wow he sells it now nice
      12-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone read if this is N63/N63TU compatible? I know we use JB4 software for Stage 2, but it has very limited capabilities.

This would be great just for the data logging feature, but changing the limited set points without a laptop would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
Has anyone read if this is N63/N63TU compatible? I know we use JB4 software for Stage 2, but it has very limited capabilities.

This would be great just for the data logging feature, but changing the limited set points without a laptop would be awesome.
Looks like it is only useful on the JB4 Stage 2 where it connects to the CAN Bus.
Otherwise it is useless. Especially for N63 Stage 1 (No CAN Bus connection) and N63tu Stage 1 (No CAN Bus connection or even the serial port).
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

According to Jon with BMS, yes, and you'll have access to everything you could do with a cable, plus the other display info. To hook up he says: "They need a 12v power and a ground source. Any chassis ground will do. A switched power source would be preferred." Just need to figure out the easiest place to hook into the power source.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just ordered this upgrade, I'll let you guys know how installation goes. I have a hunch where to look for switched power under the hood.

I'm going on a pretty long drive from VA to Detroit, MI in a few weeks, and having the ability to disable the upgrade on the fly without a laptop sounds pretty awesome. On top of that, a phone mount on the windshield will allow me to track key parameters in route. I have some concern that my driver's side HPFP is going out now, after just replacing the passenger side, so any warning would be beneficial.
      12-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
I just ordered this upgrade, I'll let you guys know how installation goes. I have a hunch where to look for switched power under the hood.

I'm going on a pretty long drive from VA to Detroit, MI in a few weeks, and having the ability to disable the upgrade on the fly without a laptop sounds pretty awesome. On top of that, a phone mount on the windshield will allow me to track key parameters in route. I have some concern that my driver's side HPFP is going out now, after just replacing the passenger side, so any warning would be beneficial.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Install video

Guys,

Installed the Bluetooth adapter earlier, initial impressions are good. It's user friendly, but the N63 has very little usable displayed information. I'm currently using boost, boost target, RPM, intake air temperature, GPS speed, and ECU boost (what the car thinks boost is).

Install was easy, I've embedded a video that hopefully helps. I recorded several takes, and in the one I kept I never actually said which wire I used. I mention a larger red wire with a blue stripe, but actually ended up using the smaller red wire with a blue stripe on the same connector. Any questions let me know.

Grant

Last edited by gclions; 12-15-2015 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #11
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Guys,

Installed the Bluetooth adapter earlier, initial impressions are good. It's user friendly, but the N63 has very little usable displayed information. I'm currently using boost, boost target, RPM, intake air temperature, GPS speed, and ECU boost (what the car thinks boost is).

Install was easy, I've embedded a video that hopefully helps. I recorded several takes, and in the one I kept I never actually said which wire I used. I mention a larger red wire with a blue stripe, but actually ended up using the smaller red wire with a blue stripe on the same connector. Any questions let me know.

Grant
This is great, thanks Grant! I'll probably give this a shot today.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Great stuff for JB USERS!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree. It is limited, obviously due to the lack of direct input into the DME, but what it can do is pretty cool.

A few items of note for using the JB4 application:

1. It's a little expensive for an app, at least for my iPhone, at $28. Factor in the work to put it together and how useful it is, I suppose the price is fair.

2. There is no option to select the N63 engine. I selected the N55 engine, and rev 3 adapter which gave me access to all the normal JB4 interface parameters. I think I tried the N54 E series and N55 E series options unsuccessfully. There are no real instructions for our engine, so it was a bit of trial and error. I was able to get it running right and did a few 0-80 pulls to make sure the power was there.

3. The spot I point to on the connector in the video is too far for the power wire on the Bluetooth adapter to reach, I simply followed the small blue and red wire toward the front of the car until I had plenty of slack for it to be a nice connection.

4. I've had a few errors with the Bluetooth connection, but I think each case was directly related to me having selected the "wrong" engine or revision of the adapter. I was able to double tap the button on my iPhone and swipe up to close the application, after which I restarted and selected the "right" engine which seemed to fix it.

5. Several of the available parameters which can be monitored don't work. You can select a new parameter to monitor by holding your finger on the gauge you want to change, which pulls up a scrollable menu. I don't believe RPM's are accurate, but the various boost indications seem to be spot on. GPS speed, if accurate, is another cool parameter to monitor.

6. The displayed gauges can be round or bars, and you have several color options. Round gives you 6 equally sized options, where bars gives one large option, and 4 smaller options.

Still messing around with it, and I haven't attempted to data-log yet, so I would assume more to follow as guys install this adapter on their cars. Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase.
      03-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 F10 550xi

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree. It is limited, obviously due to the lack of direct input into the DME, but what it can do is pretty cool.

A few items of note for using the JB4 application:

1. It's a little expensive for an app, at least for my iPhone, at $28. Factor in the work to put it together and how useful it is, I suppose the price is fair.

2. There is no option to select the N63 engine. I selected the N55 engine, and rev 3 adapter which gave me access to all the normal JB4 interface parameters. I think I tried the N54 E series and N55 E series options unsuccessfully. There are no real instructions for our engine, so it was a bit of trial and error. I was able to get it running right and did a few 0-80 pulls to make sure the power was there.

3. The spot I point to on the connector in the video is too far for the power wire on the Bluetooth adapter to reach, I simply followed the small blue and red wire toward the front of the car until I had plenty of slack for it to be a nice connection.

4. I've had a few errors with the Bluetooth connection, but I think each case was directly related to me having selected the "wrong" engine or revision of the adapter. I was able to double tap the button on my iPhone and swipe up to close the application, after which I restarted and selected the "right" engine which seemed to fix it.

5. Several of the available parameters which can be monitored don't work. You can select a new parameter to monitor by holding your finger on the gauge you want to change, which pulls up a scrollable menu. I don't believe RPM's are accurate, but the various boost indications seem to be spot on. GPS speed, if accurate, is another cool parameter to monitor.

6. The displayed gauges can be round or bars, and you have several color options. Round gives you 6 equally sized options, where bars gives one large option, and 4 smaller options.

Still messing around with it, and I haven't attempted to data-log yet, so I would assume more to follow as guys install this adapter on their cars. Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase.
I am looking to purchase this for my JB stage 1 on my N63. How do you feel about the app now, have there been any updates for better support on the N63?

How is your Bluetooth connection reliability?

Thanks,

B
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I honestly don't know if it will work at all with stage 1. I never adjusted settings on the stage 1 board, though I know some people on here did. The biggest question would be if you use the JB4 interface to make those adjustments on stage 1. If so, then I suppose it would work, and you could adjust default waste gate position.

You wouldn't be able to look at any indications except for boost, so the visual side of the app wouldn't provide you much. I got it for use with stage 2, and really it is only good for boost pressure and target pressure. I was more interested in using the BT adapter to be able to adjust settings on the fly, where I rarely, if ever use my phone as a gage pod of sorts. I have used a AC vent clip to put it right in my peripheral vision, but it is more of a gimmick than something I would constantly use.

All in all, the ease of use makes it worth it for me, but factoring in the cost of the adapter, the cost of the app, and the fact that nearly every indication isn't available...most may not agree.

To answer your question, the adapter physically works great, once it goes through the BT handshake it never loses signal. No updates for the app will be able to address the fact that most indications don't work. The JB4 for our cars is very minimal, with very few wire taps into the car. So this isn't an app issue, it's the fact that we will never see the JB4 flexibility the N54 guys see.
      03-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #16
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I honestly don't know if it will work at all with stage 1. I never adjusted settings on the stage 1 board, though I know some people on here did. The biggest question would be if you use the JB4 interface to make those adjustments on stage 1. If so, then I suppose it would work, and you could adjust default waste gate position.

You wouldn't be able to look at any indications except for boost, so the visual side of the app wouldn't provide you much. I got it for use with stage 2, and really it is only good for boost pressure and target pressure. I was more interested in using the BT adapter to be able to adjust settings on the fly, where I rarely, if ever use my phone as a gage pod of sorts. I have used a AC vent clip to put it right in my peripheral vision, but it is more of a gimmick than something I would constantly use.

All in all, the ease of use makes it worth it for me, but factoring in the cost of the adapter, the cost of the app, and the fact that nearly every indication isn't available...most may not agree.

To answer your question, the adapter physically works great, once it goes through the BT handshake it never loses signal. No updates for the app will be able to address the fact that most indications don't work. The JB4 for our cars is very minimal, with very few wire taps into the car. So this isn't an app issue, it's the fact that we will never see the JB4 flexibility the N54 guys see.

That stinks.... I was hoping for better compatibility. Does the firmware update ok?

Code reading ext.?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #17
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Firmware update was fine, it took a little work. Disconnecting, connecting, etc. Make sure you follow the instructions. Once updated no issues.

Code reading and clearing doesn't work on our platform. If it did that would be glorious, but it doesn't tap into the car's network, just individual sensors or wires to sensors for stage 2.

I use my Bavarian Technic cable and laptop software to do all clearing of codes and data logging. It works pretty well, with only minor crashing issues for large data logging files. I think this is the only viable option on the table currently.
      03-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Firmware update was fine, it took a little work. Disconnecting, connecting, etc. Make sure you follow the instructions. Once updated no issues.

Code reading and clearing doesn't work on our platform. If it did that would be glorious, but it doesn't tap into the car's network, just individual sensors or wires to sensors for stage 2.

I use my Bavarian Technic cable and laptop software to do all clearing of codes and data logging. It works pretty well, with only minor crashing issues for large data logging files. I think this is the only viable option on the table currently.
Emailed Mike at Burger Tuning, he confirmed, limited to boost changes and display.

I was searching Amazon, there are a bunch of companies that have similar products with far more options. They hook into the OBD and to your phone via blue tooth. Coding, code read and clear, all the internal measurements and so on. Only thing we would give up here is the map switching and JB direct interface.

I'll probably pick one up and give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #19
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's a good point. If I were to grab a BT OBD adapter and iPhone software I could clear codes similar to my Bavarian Technic cable/laptop without the need for dragging my laptop out to the car.