2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Just Venting: why can't I get a real oil dipstick on any BMW

06-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
GARBAJ
Private
Rep
Drives: I'm hunting a car...agonizing

Just Venting: why can't I get a real oil dipstick on any BMW

The title says it all. I'll have to head for a 2012 E63 with an old fashioned oil dip-stick.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

It's time for someone to take this opportunity and come up with an easy to install/modify dipstick for the F10. I was looking at the Audi S4 before I bought my car and that one does not come with a dipstick either but you can get one if you want
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
You are misinformed -- there is a dipstick on the X5d according to a recent Roundel, and likely on other diesels as well.

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused that you would choose a car based on having a dipstick or not. I read the letters in Roundel and just don't get the vitriol. Then again, with my last 2 cars using 10W60 oil that is hard to find outside of a BMW dealer, I haven't really seriously considered changing my oil in some time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 535i, '08 750i, '12 K1300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
You are misinformed -- there is a dipstick on the X5d according to a recent Roundel, and likely on other diesels as well.

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused that you would choose a car based on having a dipstick or not. I read the letters in Roundel and just don't get the vitriol. Then again, with my last 2 cars using 10W60 oil that is hard to find outside of a BMW dealer, I haven't really seriously considered changing my oil in some time.
A dipstick not only helps when changing your own oil, but also for independent confirmation that the oil level is good and to be able to check the color and "dirtiness" from time to time. For me the lack of a dipstick is no big deal, and I certainly wouldn't let the lack of one stop me from buying a car I really wanted... but some enthusiasts certainly are passionate about this... especially on Roundel.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
It's time for someone to take this opportunity and come up with an easy to install/modify dipstick for the F10. I was looking at the Audi S4 before I bought my car and that one does not come with a dipstick either but you can get one if you want
That's because there is a dipstick port, it's just plugged. You simply remove the plug and insert a dipstick.

Not so easy on this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
GARBAJ
Private
Rep

I want to be clear that I think BMWs are great, well-engineered cars. Also, this is not the only reason for my leaning toward a 2012 E63; there are a few others. I am an extremely OCD/anal retentive person. I don't want to type too much on this I Pad, but here is the deal: I went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and explained my concern. The service writer at the BMW dealership agreed with all that I said about the cars most likely being over filled when adhering to the manufacturer's guidance, (residual in the engine, etc.) and that there is no way to EXACTLY confirm with the silly digital gauge. He went on to say that 95%++ of BMW owners come in with a "suit and tie" on, and just want the oil change "taken care of". Though I've done well in life, I grew up working on, racing, and rebuilding cars and have been changing oil for in excess of 34 years. My grandfather, who taught me most of what I know, worked for an oil filter manufacturer for almost 40 years. You could say I'm kind of passionate about this stuff. I would rather run for the life of a vehicle 1/2 qt low than a 1/4 qt high. Most of today's society knows no better, and couldn't care less, just as the service writer implied. I'll die early I'm sure, due to my intensity BUT I want it right, not close.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

What a ridiculous question. You surely know the answer to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
I want to be clear that I think BMWs are great, well-engineered cars. Also, this is not the only reason for my leaning toward a 2012 E63; there are a few others. I am an extremely OCD/anal retentive person. I don't want to type too much on this I Pad, but here is the deal: I went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and explained my concern. The service writer at the BMW dealership agreed with all that I said about the cars most likely being over filled when adhering to the manufacturer's guidance, (residual in the engine, etc.) and that there is no way to EXACTLY confirm with the silly digital gauge. He went on to say that 95%++ of BMW owners come in with a "suit and tie" on, and just want the oil change "taken care of". Though I've done well in life, I grew up working on, racing, and rebuilding cars and have been changing oil for in excess of 34 years. My grandfather, who taught me most of what I know, worked for an oil filter manufacturer for almost 40 years. You could say I'm kind of passionate about this stuff. I would rather run for the life of a vehicle 1/2 qt low than a 1/4 qt high. Most of today's society knows no better, and couldn't care less, just as the service writer implied. I'll die early I'm sure, due to my intensity BUT I want it right, not close.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
paulbazo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix

Quote:
Seems like you may have to buy a different car
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
GordonGecko
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i SE Auto (E39)

From a suit and tie guy who is interested in the oily bits!

Quote:
I would rather run for the life of a vehicle 1/2 qt low than a 1/4 qt high.
Hey. Sorry if this is a dopy question but why is 1/2 qt low better than 1/4qtr high? Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

No harm from 1/2 qt low but overfilling could possibly cause damage.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
GordonGecko
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i SE Auto (E39)

Besides... if you wanna a dipstick, here is a dipstick:

"Kew-kew-kew-kew!"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #13
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2007 & 530d 2011

530d have dipstick oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
this is not the only reason for my leaning toward a 2012 E63
You are referring to the Mercedes, not the 6 series, right? Yeah, that's a sweet car, test drove one just recently.

My Porsche 996 had both a mechanical dipstick and the electronic version. I thought that was great. And they agreed with each other. I think the idea that the electronic oil level detector is inaccurate is based on a falsehood. Don't rely on one person's possibly misinformed opinion to make a decision.

My car (F10) was low on oil so I added half a quart, and the new level display correctly showed the addition of half a quart. That's pretty darn accurate in my book. I do agree about the ability to look at the dipstick to gauge oil quality, but if its your car, then you'll know based on mileage and time when you need to change the oil. That's really only handy if looking at a used car and you want to get an idea of the oil condition. IMHO.

There are a lot more serious drawbacks to new BMWs to complain about other than the dipstick. No spare tire for instance. Fuel pump issues. Pulling to the right. Etc.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

You are all mistaken, there is indeed a dipstick on the F10.

It can be found on the driver's seat.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw View Post
You are all mistaken, there is indeed a dipstick on the F10.

It can be found on the driver's seat.

Oh that's what it is? Couldn't be! Mine's too big to fit in the dip stick opening
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #17
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 535i, '08 750i, '12 K1300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
There are a lot more serious drawbacks to new BMWs to complain about other than the dipstick. No spare tire for instance. Fuel pump issues. Pulling to the right. Etc.
LuvMyE92 - Sorry to go off topic, but I see that you have a Deep Sea Blue 6-speed 535i, same as I'm thinking of ordering. Just curious, did you consider the M-Sport package ? (I know you don't have it since your car is DSB). Thx.

See my related thread: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546454
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Hey. Sorry if this is a dopy question but why is 1/2 qt low better than 1/4qtr high? Thanks...
If the oil level is too high the surface can be frothed by vortices generated by the rotating crankshaft (known as windage). This can result in an oil/air mixture being pumped around the engine; i.e., reduced lubrication.
Worst case scenario, if the level was sufficiently high, it could be contacted by a descending piston under heavy braking or acceleration, resulting in substantial engine damage.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
GARBAJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
If the oil level is too high the surface can be frothed by vortices generated by the rotating crankshaft (known as windage). This can result in an oil/air mixture being pumped around the engine; i.e., reduced lubrication.
Worst case scenario, if the level was sufficiently high, it could be contacted by a descending piston under heavy braking or acceleration, resulting in substantial engine damage.
Said a simpler way, "You ever try running in a swimming pool?". Aside from this simple statement- all the comments above apply, in addition to seal damage. Someone mentioned in a recent post that the digital version was pretty accurate. Let me reiterate, I don't want "close"... I want exact, actually just under-filled is preferable. Again, BMWs are fantastic, beautiful, well-engineered vehicles. No matter what I do, I will always notice them on the road or parking lots. But, I most likely will order the new AMG E63 Biturbo when it comes out this fall. I wish no one any grief, and have really enjoyed this on-line community.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
BimmerUKF10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

My 535d has a dipstick. As does my dad's 320d. Makes no sense why petrol engines do not have one!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #21
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Said a simpler way, "You ever try running in a swimming pool?". Aside from this simple statement- all the comments above apply, in addition to seal damage. Someone mentioned in a recent post that the digital version was pretty accurate. Let me reiterate, I don't want "close"... I want exact, actually just under-filled is preferable. Again, BMWs are fantastic, beautiful, well-engineered vehicles. No matter what I do, I will always notice them on the road or parking lots. But, I most likely will order the new AMG E63 Biturbo when it comes out this fall. I wish no one any grief, and have really enjoyed this on-line community.
Great analogy.

My 1st experience with the "dipstick issue" was when all the idiot lights came on warning of my low oil level from no where. It said I was 1 qt. low, I purchased a quart but through some timely good advice I only filled .5 qt which registered oil level full. I dread at the thought of what it would have read with a full qt added. Half a quart over the line at high speeds, not something I would be too happy about.

Singularly the most frustrating part of my current F10 so far.

Last edited by delvek; 06-26-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

This thread pushes me over the threshold, I'm going to attempt my own oil change. My car has no flaws that require it to go back to the dealer, and I am paranoid-oily convinced it will not come back to me in the same condition. I will refer to Gatoman's very helpful DIY
Appreciate 0