2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Who has replaced OE M sport 19s with aftermarket?

03-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Who has replaced OE M sport 19s with aftermarket?

Since I dont seem to keep vehicles long, and wheels always tend to be a kick in the nuts when reselling, I just want a more aggressive offset and darker color in the factory size... plus the dealership just replaced the tires when I bought the car, so it seems like a waste to replace them or sell them for pennies when im sure they passed the cost of them on to me when I bought it. I cant imagine these wheels, even with like new tires, are worth much on here.

Ive seen a lot of $800-1000 combos on various vendors websites, but searching reveals zero photos on F10 cars, how the offsets look, quality of the wheels etc. I had considered just getting a set of VMRs, Avant Gardes or similar as ive had in the past, but the "knock off" styles for nearly half the cost look quite good in photos, I just cant see how the offsets look.

I currently have a staggered factory setup on a 2015 550i M sport and would like to just replace the wheels with something in gunmetal or black in a simple split 5 spoke (Avant Gard M510 style) or similar wheel that looks clean.

Suggestions and photos appreciated! Ive always run 20s or larger on previous BMWs, but I bought this car just as a weekend car to keep until later this year or early next year when I will probably get a new M3 or lightly used newer M5. Powder coating and wheel spacers cost more than just buying new wheels, so in an effort to keep costs low, I just want a new/used complete set.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
blewcheese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 540i xDrive M Sport

I'm buying 20" SDC Forgestar F14s this week for my carbon black 535 m sport (2014). I was right there with you about the powder coating costs. The Forgestars are basically the best value to look ratio from three months of research.

The reason to buy new wheels instead of modifying your current ones - when you sell your car the new buyer/or the dealership will probably want the OEM wheels back on. I just had my car paid off last fall so I consider it an on-going investment.

Check out these pics from another member.
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614572
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Powder coating and wheel spacers cost more than just buying new wheels, so in an effort to keep costs low, I just want a new/used complete set.
Any new set of wheels worth buying is at least 1k. Where in the world do you live that powder coating + spacers cost more than that?

Replica wheels can be sketch. It's probably just bad luck, but one of my friends who got rep 343's in 19" had all 4 crack in less than 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Any new set of wheels worth buying is at least 1k. Where in the world do you live that powder coating + spacers cost more than that?

Replica wheels can be sketch. It's probably just bad luck, but one of my friends who got rep 343's in 19" had all 4 crack in less than 3 years.
Id ask why you insist any wheels need to be over $1,000 to be decent, but im pretty positive your answer will consist only of opinions, and zero of actual proof, other than stating your buddy cracked his wheels (plenty of $3,000+ wheels for sale here with cracks in them).

Between the cost of powder coating ($100 per wheel x 4), labor ($50 off and $50 on for mounting/balancing), shipping ($100 each way for all 4 plus cost of boxes and packing materials), and wheel spacers ($105 a pair from most vendors on here), Im over $900. I dont live in a state where those services are easily found, and if they were, there isnt a shop in New Mexico id actually pay to do anything because they are all terrible.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:20 PM   #5
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Id ask why you insist any wheels need to be over $1,000 to be decent, but im pretty positive your answer will consist only of opinions, and zero of actual proof, other than stating your buddy cracked his wheels (plenty of $3,000+ wheels for sale here with cracks in them).

Between the cost of powder coating ($100 per wheel x 4), labor ($50 off and $50 on for mounting/balancing), shipping ($100 each way for all 4 plus cost of boxes and packing materials), and wheel spacers ($105 a pair from most vendors on here), Im over $900. I dont live in a state where those services are easily found, and if they were, there isnt a shop in New Mexico id actually pay to do anything because they are all terrible.
Damn, someone's uh, a tad sensitive today huh? You're literally asking for everyone's experience and suggestion, which shockingly enough, usually consist of opinions. No need to be such a dick about it. But sure, I'll bite.

First, you kind of smashed two separate statements into one, but I'll ignore that and chalk it up to ambiguity on my part. I never meant to say that wheels had to be $1000+ to be decent, I said and meant worth buying. There's TONS of great wheels for under a grand. Second, the number isn't from nowhere. A set of good condition, no curb rash 351's will sell for around $1200. I don't know what condition your wheels are in, so I rounded down to $1000. Anything under that price is usually just as heavy or heavier than the OEM rims because they're cast wheels. Flow formed wheels are, on average, at least $250 a pop. So if you want lighter, stronger wheels, you're going to have to shell out a grand. If you don't want to shell out a grand, in my opinion, why buy wheels that are going to be heavier than stock. Thus, my benchmark for "wheels worth buying". It's okay if you disagree man, there's no need to be so hostile.

Third, you make a valid point on the powder coating, but that's all new information to me. Put that way, it makes sense what you're doing, but it would have been helpful to have that beforehand.

As for my buddy's wheels, I specifically said that it's probably just bad luck. I know it's anecdotal evidence, I never presented it as fact. I know plenty of folks who have both good and bad experiences with rep wheels, but I've heard more bad than good. There might be wheels for sale for 3 grand with cracks in them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're actually selling for 3 grand. Unless they're special wheels, 3 grand for cracked wheels is nuts. Oh, and his wheels were $1500 for the set new, so my bad for not mentioning that before I guess.

Moving on, have you considered 343M's? They come in 20" and don't ride too harsh. I'm located in northern NJ and the roads are terrible here but even then I find them very livable. The best benefit on the 343M's is that the M5 offset is basically a flush fitment for non-M5 cars, maybe a tiny bit of poke on the rears. The face is machined silver, with dark gray inlays. Did I mention they're fully forged? This is what I run and how it looks on my car (pre-drop, stock ride height):
Attached Images

Last edited by Unspec; 03-09-2021 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
FenixMike451.00
      03-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Damn, someone's uh, a tad sensitive today huh? You're literally asking for everyone's experience and suggestion, which shockingly enough, usually consist of opinions. No need to be such a dick about it. But sure, I'll bite.

First, you kind of smashed two separate statements into one, but I'll ignore that and chalk it up to ambiguity on my part. I never meant to say that wheels had to be $1000+ to be decent, I said and meant worth buying. There's TONS of great wheels for under a grand. Second, the number isn't from nowhere. A set of good condition, no curb rash 351's will sell for around $1200. I don't know what condition your wheels are in, so I rounded down to $1000. Anything under that price is usually just as heavy or heavier than the OEM rims because they're cast wheels. Flow formed wheels are, on average, at least $250 a pop. So if you want lighter, stronger wheels, you're going to have to shell out a grand. If you don't want to shell out a grand, in my opinion, why buy wheels that are going to be heavier than stock. Thus, my benchmark for "wheels worth buying". It's okay if you disagree man, there's no need to be so hostile.

Third, you make a valid point on the powder coating, but that's all new information to me. Put that way, it makes sense what you're doing, but it would have been helpful to have that beforehand.

As for my buddy's wheels, I specifically said that it's probably just bad luck. I know it's anecdotal evidence, I never presented it as fact. I know plenty of folks who have both good and bad experiences with rep wheels, but I've heard more bad than good. There might be wheels for sale for 3 grand with cracks in them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're actually selling for 3 grand. Unless they're special wheels, 3 grand for cracked wheels is nuts. Oh, and his wheels were $1500 for the set new, so my bad for not mentioning that before I guess.

Moving on, have you considered 343M's? They come in 20" and don't ride too harsh. I'm located in northern NJ and the roads are terrible here but even then I find them very livable. The best benefit on the 343M's is that the M5 offset is basically a flush fitment for non-M5 cars, maybe a tiny bit of poke on the rears. The face is machined silver, with dark gray inlays. Did I mention they're fully forged? This is what I run and how it looks on my car (pre-drop, stock ride height):
Now that we’re friends I actually really like the look of those wheels, but I’m just trying not to spend money on wheels and tires at the moment. It’s not an able to afford thing, or a being cheap thing, but my last few bmws I’ve bought the nice vorsteiner/pilot sport combos, or even lesser expensive avant-garde combos, and when I trade the car in or sell it, I end up taking an absolute bath trying to get even half the value out. I bought this 550i only because there’s a real shortage of nice cars with the Covid crap, the new M3 wasn’t out yet, the older M3/m4/m5 cars were tough to find (and way over priced), and the new m550 was significantly better than the 17-19 models... so it’s just a place holder to keep me entertained until I can grab one of the above. If I had planned on keeping it a while, I’d do something nice in 20 inch (and I still might), we will see if Covid ever lets up and car values come back down), but in the mean time I was just looking at options to get a darker wheel with a better offset without wasting new tires.

And I’ve been in Tulsa for work for almost 3 weeks now, being cramped in a hotel probably has me assuming everyone is just being a sarcastic asshole and forcing the same out of me 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #7
blewcheese
Private
United_States
Rep

The 343m wheels were my first choice fwiw...and Forgestars my second choice. It was down to buying the 343s used for $2600 or Forgestars new for $2100.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #8
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewcheese View Post
The 343m wheels were my first choice fwiw...and Forgestars my second choice. It was down to buying the 343s used for $2600 or Forgestars new for $2100.
I managed to pick mine up for 1700 including shipping. They're a tad beat up and the inside rim is kind of scuffed to shit (looks like previous owner really dragged them along the floor), but I figured I could always get them refinished if it really bothered me too much.

Quote:
Now that we’re friends I actually really like the look of those wheels, but I’m just trying not to spend money on wheels and tires at the moment. It’s not an able to afford thing, or a being cheap thing, but my last few bmws I’ve bought the nice vorsteiner/pilot sport combos, or even lesser expensive avant-garde combos, and when I trade the car in or sell it, I end up taking an absolute bath trying to get even half the value out. I bought this 550i only because there’s a real shortage of nice cars with the Covid crap, the new M3 wasn’t out yet, the older M3/m4/m5 cars were tough to find (and way over priced), and the new m550 was significantly better than the 17-19 models... so it’s just a place holder to keep me entertained until I can grab one of the above. If I had planned on keeping it a while, I’d do something nice in 20 inch (and I still might), we will see if Covid ever lets up and car values come back down), but in the mean time I was just looking at options to get a darker wheel with a better offset without wasting new tires.

And I’ve been in Tulsa for work for almost 3 weeks now, being cramped in a hotel probably has me assuming everyone is just being a sarcastic asshole and forcing the same out of me ������
If it's a "temp" car, you could in theory plastidip the wheels. If done right, it's actually pretty durable and can look good. The biggest tip for that is to keep the can in hot water baths between sprays, and will help you get that smooth finish rather than the textured finish dip is known for. If you end up hating it, it's only dip and cost you like 20-30 bucks.

I feel you on the car parts part. The parts depreciate faster than the car sometimes lol. I also currently run a set of Enkei TSP6's as my winter setup, but they're in 18". I assume you're looking for suggestions in the 19" range?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #9
blewcheese
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I managed to pick mine up for 1700 including shipping.

you could in theory plastidip the wheels.
1 - Awesome deal, I would have done the same. I actually got a quote from BMW and they told me the 343 would be $6200 for the set LOL.

2 - Plastidipping anything on a BMW seems like a sin.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I managed to pick mine up for 1700 including shipping. They're a tad beat up and the inside rim is kind of scuffed to shit (looks like previous owner really dragged them along the floor), but I figured I could always get them refinished if it really bothered me too much.

If it's a "temp" car, you could in theory plastidip the wheels. If done right, it's actually pretty durable and can look good. The biggest tip for that is to keep the can in hot water baths between sprays, and will help you get that smooth finish rather than the textured finish dip is known for. If you end up hating it, it's only dip and cost you like 20-30 bucks.

I feel you on the car parts part. The parts depreciate faster than the car sometimes lol. I also currently run a set of Enkei TSP6's as my winter setup, but they're in 18". I assume you're looking for suggestions in the 19" range?
yeah the goal was just to reuse my tires, however 20 inch tires have also come down in price since I bought my last set a couple years ago, so I may just bite the bullet and get some wheels... it just sucks they aren't going to work on the new M5/M550i/M3, and I see tons of Nice wheels in the classifieds that aren't selling.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 12:08 AM   #11
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Unspec - I love my 343 wheels too. Something about the concave really giving dimension to it. But man my lips are all banged up, precious owner primarily. Been trying to get it fixed but people say it’s a machine finish and can’t be done by someone mobile. Have you had luck?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #12
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Unspec - I love my 343 wheels too. Something about the concave really giving dimension to it. But man my lips are all banged up, precious owner primarily. Been trying to get it fixed but people say it’s a machine finish and can’t be done by someone mobile. Have you had luck?
Luckily, my exposed lip is still looking fine, no real curb rash. It's the side facing the struts that is all curbed up, so it's one of those "eh no one can see it why bother fixing it" kinda thing. Realistically, to fix a scuffed machined rim you're going to need to weld on more material and have it machined back down. It'll cost a pretty penny. The blemishes on my wheel face primarily consist of clear coat damage.

But yes, I'm a big fan of the 343's. It's sharp without being loud, and really fits the 5 series well.

Quote:
yeah the goal was just to reuse my tires, however 20 inch tires have also come down in price since I bought my last set a couple years ago, so I may just bite the bullet and get some wheels... it just sucks they aren't going to work on the new M5/M550i/M3, and I see tons of Nice wheels in the classifieds that aren't selling.
As someone who is also pretty fickle about how their car is, I can tell you that the lost sleep and constant agonization (is that a word?) over the wheels is not worth a grand. Get wheels you're happy with, and enjoy the car. Life's too short to stress over a set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #13
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
+1 for the 343m wheels, You can't beat them for quality and looks. I originally went with aftermarket but I was never happy because I always wanted BMW wheels. When a local set of 343m came up for sale - I jumped on them.

$2600 is waaaaay to much for them. I picked up mine from a fellow forum member fresh from being powered coated for $1,700. It was like installing brand new wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewcheese View Post
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0