2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media ceramic sport shifter pics

12-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

ceramic sport shifter pics

While doing my research on the forums, the pictures were incredibly helpful. I ordered a combo that I hadn't seen any pictures of, namely the ceramic controls and sport shifter together. Now that my DSB 550xi arrived, I can share these pics of the ceramic controls package combined with sport-shifter. (surrounded by nappa leather, and anthracite trim)

I've seen many wave their hands at the ceramic controls package as unnecessarily expensive. I do think it's pricy, but not without value. I previously drove a 2005 Audi S4, and one thing I liked about that interior is that it had zero cheap silver plastic. Anything shiny in the interior was real metal chrome. I wanted a similar feel in my bimmer, so I went for the ceramic controls package and I LOVE it! If you want it but find it too pricey, just haggle a little harder with them about purchase price.

The non-flash photo is a little blurry from the long shutter time, but I think it captures the overall "look" of the ceramic controls much better. The shiny dark surfaces capture and reflect the interior lighting really well. The controls also have a really nice feel to them. Not plasticy at all. The flash photo really looks "wrong" and artificial, not at all what they actually look like, but you can make out the contours of them a bit better in that photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by davesf; 12-25-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

It looks great.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

That option deserves all the money
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Looks great. Thank you for sharing. I've been considering this option for my 550xi but haven't committed to it yet. My configuration is being overridden by BMW NA to add piano black trim (typically a Europe-only BMW Individual option) and I'm worried that it will be too much glossy black in the center stack.

Having driven a 2007 B7 RS4 and B6 S4 prior I agree with you about the plastic vs. metal chrome thing. It's a nice touch.

Of course, it's better to do it now than regret it later. Some of the components (namely the shifter mechanism) are incredibly expensive to attempt to retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

u get wut u pay 4

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
davesf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Looks great. Thank you for sharing. I've been considering this option for my 550xi but haven't committed to it yet. My configuration is being overridden by BMW NA to add piano black trim (typically a Europe-only BMW Individual option) and I'm worried that it will be too much glossy black in the center stack.
as you can see from the picture i posted, i have the sport shifter + ceramic + anthracite on a NA/USA 550xi order (delivered to san francisco last week), so if that's how you want it, use the picture above and push them. perhaps adding the sport shifter turns off their forcing the trim piano black?

the 7-series i saw with the (non-sport) ceramic controls had the piano black trim. it looked sharp, but i wouldn't have ordered it that way myself. be sure to see it in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
as you can see from the picture i posted, i have the sport shifter + ceramic + anthracite on a NA/USA 550xi order (delivered to san francisco last week), so if that's how you want it, use the picture above and push them. perhaps adding the sport shifter turns off their forcing the trim piano black?

the 7-series i saw with the (non-sport) ceramic controls had the piano black trim. it looked sharp, but i wouldn't have ordered it that way myself. be sure to see it in person.
They'll build it for me with or without the ceramic controls. It's ultimately my decision. The ceramic/piano black is a combination that is incredibly rare to non-existent on the F10 here in the US so seeing it in person is not an option.

I think the metal/silver accents will break up the black a bit. I like it either way, but I feel it's just too much black.

I do love your interior though. I just changed my order to Nappa.
      12-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
davesf
Private
Rep

Quote:
They'll build it for me with or without the ceramic controls. It's ultimately my decision.
let me be clear.. it's my opinion that the ceramic controls are a MUST HAVE. they make the car so much more classy.

it sounded like you were saying they would only let you get ceramic controls with piano black. i was pointing out that my car is ceramic controls with anthracite - so it's obviously possible to get that. you might need to add the sport shifter.

Quote:
The ceramic/piano black is a combination that is incredibly rare to non-existent on the F10 here in the US so seeing it in person is not an option.
it is a more common order on the 7 series. i saw the ceramic controls (non sport shifter) with piano black in a loaded up alpina b7. it's exactly the same appearance, so you might be able to find one of those to see.

Quote:
I think the metal/silver accents will break up the black a bit. I like it either way, but I feel it's just too much black.
agreed. the piano black reflects the interior lighting real well, which looks classy, but is too much black for me as well. thats why i got the ceramic controls with anthracite wood. (i also found the 5 series dark walnut too black for my taste)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I found some pretty decent deals on both the ceramic shifter trim and the iDrive controller knob. I'm going to order the car without ceramic controls. I prefer the look of the metallic control knobs for audio and HVAC.

I will replace the shifter trim (BMW sells a 'repair kit') along with the iDrive controller knob. Best of both worlds, really. And still less than the line item option.
      12-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
davesf
Private
Rep

good plan. i expect it to be super easy to retrofit the ceramic controls. i felt the same way you did about the silver looking nice on the radio and a/c knobs...until i actually SAW the ceramic controls package in a car. if you havn't yet seen it you might seek out any car with the full option to see it.

remember that the shape of the shifter is different depending on whether you ordered SAT (the sport automatic option with steering paddles).. so be sure to get the right ceramics to fit your shifter.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
I found some pretty decent deals on both the ceramic shifter trim and the iDrive controller knob. I'm going to order the car without ceramic controls. I prefer the look of the metallic control knobs for audio and HVAC.

I will replace the shifter trim (BMW sells a 'repair kit') along with the iDrive controller knob. Best of both worlds, really. And still less than the line item option.
How much and where did you find the ceramic controls? If you dont mind me asking. I'm pretty interested in doing this as well as ceramic controls was not an available option on 535's in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Yep. They sell 4 repair kits, for vehicles with/without SAT and with/without ceramic controls. I ordered my car with the SAT. My dealer says they have a vehicle with ceramic controls and I'm going to take a look at it later today. Between my option choices and adding Nappa I'm approaching my mental $90,000 limit on this car. Adding the ceramic controls puts it right around there, so I'm unsure if I want to do it. Though it's probably better to just residualize it, anyway.

Joey - I found most of the stuff on ebay.de. The PN for Sport Automatic Ceramic Repair Kit is 61319252141, and the cost is around $250. The iDrive controller is a lot more (around $400+) but I did find a few on eBay. Since ceramic is so durable I figure buying it used is probably safe.
      12-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
DentalBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe

Thanks for the pics. I had a hard time deciding on this option, as it pricey, but I did order it on my 12 550i. (Which is presently sitting on the dock waiting for a big boat to give it a ride home) I actually saw pics on this forum from member who taken euro delivery and had taken a few pics,and I was sold!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I saw it in person today. Found an Individual 7er with the Piano Black trim. It's beautiful, and it feels really nice in the hand.

It confirmed my suspicions, though... too much black for my tastes. However, I think I'm going to retrofit just the controller and the shift knob. Keeping the other knobs silver breaks it up a bit to me and blends with the silver shifter surround.

I also asked my service tech friend about the shifter repair kit. He took a look at the instructions provided by BMW. The kit includes new trim for the shifter and is used if it is ever scratched or damaged without having to replace the entire unit. (Similar kits exist for other switches and buttons in the car.) The metal or ceramic covering simply clips on to the shifter stalk. So long as the clips are the same for the two versions (which they should be), the repair kit will work just fine.

The iDrive controller on the other hand needs to be completely replaced, which requires removing the center console trim. It's one screw and some clips though, so it should not be a challenge.
      12-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
davesf
Private
Rep

Quote:
...My dealer says they have a vehicle with ceramic controls and I'm going to take a look at it later today. Between my option choices and adding Nappa I'm approaching my mental $90,000 limit on this car. Adding the ceramic controls puts it right around there, so I'm unsure if I want to do it. Though it's probably better to just residualize it, anyway.
I think of it as the option to buy a $89,250 car without ceramic controls, or pay <1% more and get ceramic controls. Personally you couldn't convince me to spend the $89k without the ceramic controls package, or AWD, or premium audio, or Nappa, or ... well i guess that's alot more than 1% but still it's the same idea.

Though with ceramic controls if you ever feel like you want to add it, it's within the realm of reason to do so. It's most important to get the elements right that are not reasonable to change (like the seat surfaces, drivetrain choice, etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
Lanman2012
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i

I have the exact same combo ( sport shifter + ceramic + anthracite ) on my 550i and I love it. The ceramic controls were a must have for me and I I don't regret spending the extra money at all.

2012 550i | M Sport | Space Gray | Black Dakota | Anthracite | Ceramic | Sport Trans | ARS | HUD | Convenience | Cold Weather | Luxury Seating | Premium Sound
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #17
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AMG GT

wow...very nice..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
I think of it as the option to buy a $89,250 car without ceramic controls, or pay <1% more and get ceramic controls. Personally you couldn't convince me to spend the $89k without the ceramic controls package, or AWD, or premium audio, or Nappa, or ... well i guess that's alot more than 1% but still it's the same idea.

Though with ceramic controls if you ever feel like you want to add it, it's within the realm of reason to do so. It's most important to get the elements right that are not reasonable to change (like the seat surfaces, drivetrain choice, etc)
After sitting in several and my dealer getting cranky with all my changes I decided to leave it as-is. I'm going to retrofit the shifter and iDrive controller (already ordered, actually) at delivery. I'm not sold on the climate and radio knobs being ceramic, but I do love the look of everything else.
      01-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
iplumr
Waiting for my 2012 550xi ED in March
Rep
Drives: Fed up '09 Jag XF Supercharged

Question Heat and cold

I am on the fence about ordering the ceramic controls. Can anyone with these comment on how warm / cold they get in the summer / winter compared to the standard metal versions?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
pentium_fun
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Dave, if you have the ceramic controls AND the 4 zone climatic controls, do you get the two rotary knobs in the back in ceramic too?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium_fun View Post
Dave, if you have the ceramic controls AND the 4 zone climatic controls, do you get the two rotary knobs in the back in ceramic too?
Yes you will
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
pentium_fun
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Thank you. May I see a picture?
Appreciate 0