2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW F11 MSport 530d vs Audi A6 3.0TDI Quattro Black Edition

03-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

BMW F11 MSport 530d vs Audi A6 3.0TDI Quattro Black Edition

I'm taking a neutral stance on this one, but I'm interested in hearing everybody's opinion. With the 5 so closely matched against the A6 what sets these two apart because I would like to know? personally having driven both, I found the Audi sticks to the road like glue, the BMW seems to champion oversteer however has a more fun character when it comes to driving.

Which one would you pick and why badges aside ?

Some Quick Stats

Audi A6 3.0 TDI Black Edition (Quattro)
Power : 218 PS
0-60 : 6.6 seconds
Top Speed : 152mph
Weight : 1765kg's
Turning Circle : 12 metres (kerb to kerb)
Price : £43,750

BMW 530d M Sport
Power : 258bhp
0-60 : 5.8 seconds
Top Speed : 155mph
Weight : 1790kg's
Turning Circle : 12 metres (kerb to kerb)
Price : £44, 465

On paper these cars are inseparably closely matched. The 5 lacks four wheel drive, costs more, less standard equipment on the other hand the 5 is faster and slightly more fuel efficient than the Audi and has iDrive over Audi's not so brilliant MMI.

I'm torn and over the next 6-8 months I will probably be making a tough decision between these two cars.
Attached Images

Last edited by youknowluke; 03-02-2015 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Not diesel but those were my top two picks as well and I ended up picking 535i

Here are my reasons, many matter of personal taste.

I personally prefer the look of 5 series. Exterior of Audi in comparison looks bland to me, it looks good, just doesn't stand out in the crowd as much. Cabin of 5 series also felt more quiet to me, could've been the tires, the road, but in A6 I just heard a bit more road noise, marginal as both cars are quiet, but 5 is simply "dead quiet". Interior of 5 series in my view has cleaner design lines and feels overall more upscale. Audi's design has newer, more modern look of their dash and console, but I prefer more "classic/clean" design, just looks a bit less "flashy" for the lack of better term. Can't recall the specs, but for sure 5 series offers more headroom and for me more comfortable seats as well.

Subjective as it might be, I feel 5 is more fun to drive. Not that I can say I disliked anything about A6's ride and handling, it's just that cornering with RWD car gives you that very special smooth feeling that's hard to match. In my particular case, 535 came with manual and A6 did not (I do realize this is not an issue for 9/10 potential buyers of these cars). Where I live Audi was consistently more expensive given the same age and mileage and in general more difficult to find as a CPO

As I said in few threads before, both are excellent cars. I think once you've driven them both and crunched the numbers, you'll "just know" which one is the right car for you. Good luck, have fun shopping.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Fenstermaker1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d

Great analysis, thank you. I went with the diesel and I love it.
I also appreciate the comments on RWD vs Xdrive. I went this route also.

BMW definately looks better and has great lines.

I hope you enjoy your choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

i used to be a big audi fan back in the 2001-2010. Ever since I had my E46, my perception of bmw changed and ive never looked back.

I also compared the two cars and to me the 535 exterior and interior styling was timeless over audi's design. I appreciate the classic-ness of the F10 and the fit and finish over the boxier A6 style and big grill.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

It’s more than the rear wheel drive for the F10, it is also down to the engineering details, how the gear box is mounted in line with the engine, the engine position behind the front axle, how the Batteries are in the boot for perfect balance between front and rear 50/50, Audi’s are simply not as engineered as BM’s, I always believed the Audi’s are overpriced VW, a front drive car cost less to make than a rear wheel car in the same class, I believe they over priced in comparison to BMW’s and Merc’s when down to the details, but never the less not a bad car and since most of us here are enthusiast I believe when down to decisions we are more incline to follow our hearts too rather than just our heads, and on that basis the looks my play a big role in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
It’s more than the rear wheel drive for the F10, it is also down to the engineering details, how the gear box is mounted in line with the engine, the engine position behind the front axle, how the Batteries are in the boot for perfect balance between front and rear 50/50, Audi’s are simply not as engineered as BM’s, I always believed the Audi’s are overpriced VW, a front drive car cost less to make than a rear wheel car in the same class, I believe they over priced in comparison to BMW’s and Merc’s when down to the details, but never the less not a bad car and since most of us here are enthusiast I believe when down to decisions we are more incline to follow our hearts too rather than just our heads, and on that basis the looks my play a big role in your decision.
Fully agree, except for VW comment , though the A6s I tried were all quattro 3.0T engine, I'm sure FWD (and/or 2.0L engine) doesn't' come anywhere close to F10 handling, be it RWD or xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 04:25 AM   #7
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Hi Luke

I had a 61 plate A6 S-Line 3.0tdi quattro before my 12 plate 535d. It had 245ps though: I thought all quattro versions with the 3.0tdi, or most of them, had at least that much power ? Latest cars seem to have 272ps, or 320ps if they're bitdi.

The A6 on S-Line suspension did stick like glue to the road, and it was definitely faster than a 530d and not far off my 535d. A bitdi version would definitely be faster than the 535d. It didn't have much steering feel but the steering was quick and the whole car felt very agile. Definitely felt lighter than the F10 does. The ride was firm but well damped - much better than the previous generation A6, and better than the Audi stereotype would suggest.

I ditched the A6 because the 5 series is so much more refined at high speed. Much less tyre roar on poor surfaces. I also prefer the high quality, but less gaudy, interior of the 5 series.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I am debating the exact same thing, though with both the gas versions as well as be diesels. I have a good 7 or 8 months to decide, but I think it's going to come down to these two cars. I can only echo what others have said, they're so similar, drive them both and see which is better for you... I had a 535xi loaner that I loved the more I drove it. My 335 felt so tiny in comparison when I picked it up and for the first time in my life, that wasn't a good thing (getting older I suppose lol). I did feel it slid through corners a bit more, not literally but just the way you feel the extra weight behind you compared to a 3. I haven't driven the current A6 get, but test drove the previous gen back in 2010 and don't remsen be feeling that way with the Audi. That may make the difference for me, if the A6 feels less like its size than the 535.
Appreciate 0