2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum A/C auto setting for fan

04-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

A/C auto setting for fan

Stupid question, but does anyone know how to have the auto setting control the fan speed as well? I hit the auto button but the fan speed never seems to change no matter how hot the car is.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Stupid question, but does anyone know how to have the auto setting control the fan speed as well? I hit the auto button but the fan speed never seems to change no matter how hot the car is.
Set the intensity. While in auto mode adjust the fan speed control to a higher intensity setting. It will show on the bar display.

BTW, fan will still adjust even on the lower setting, according to need.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Pete. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but wouldn't manually setting the fan intensity defeat the purpose of the auto program? For example, when I get in my car and it's 95 degrees I would expect the fan to automatically come on full blast and gradually decrease as the car cools.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Pete. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but wouldn't manually setting the fan intensity defeat the purpose of the auto program? For example, when I get in my car and it's 95 degrees I would expect the fan to automatically come on full blast and gradually decrease as the car cools.
I think you are misunderstanding the intensity function. It is the setting you need to make for running in auto mode. Nothing to do with overriding and manually setting the fan speeds.

I personally run the lowest intensity and it still generates more air flow when needed, both for heating and cooling. I've tried higher intensity settings, just makes more airflow than I want or need.

What bar is illuminated on the intensity/air volume display? Mine is set to the first bar, (lowest intensity setting). Set while in AUTO mode by using the fan buttons.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

The first bar is illuminated for me. I think what the issue maybe is that this system works differently than the one on my previous car (e90 m3). In my e90, simply selecting auto would have the car control the fan speed to the appropriate setting based on the temp inside the car. So during the hot south Florida summer when I first turned on the car it would be full blast with all of the bars illuminated. Then the bars/fan speed would gradually decrease automatically as the car cooled.

It sounds like in the f10 this maybe isn't possible? If I have to hit the fan speed button to increase/decrease the fan speed even while in auto mode doesn't that defeat the purpose of the auto mode? I know I am sounding redundant but I want to be sure I understand the auto function correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
The first bar is illuminated for me. I think what the issue maybe is that this system works differently than the one on my previous car (e90 m3). In my e90, simply selecting auto would have the car control the fan speed to the appropriate setting based on the temp inside the car. So during the hot south Florida summer when I first turned on the car it would be full blast with all of the bars illuminated. Then the bars/fan speed would gradually decrease automatically as the car cooled.

It sounds like in the f10 this maybe isn't possible? If I have to hit the fan speed button to increase/decrease the fan speed even while in auto mode doesn't that defeat the purpose of the auto mode? I know I am sounding redundant but I want to be sure I understand the auto function correctly.
With the f10 you can set the max fan speed in auto. Sounds like you should increase your setting to get a higher fan speed when you start driving.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:

There should be 5 bars when in auto, if fan speed is manual, it will have 9 bars showing. When in the auto 5 bars auto mode, each bar represent a range of fan speed. Some people like to cool down the cabin slowly and don't like that large volume of air in their face or the noise that is associated with it, those people choose the low bar setting. Some people like to cool down the cabin fast and don't mind the noise, they use the fifth bar, I keep it at the 3rd or 4th bar. Try to set it at 3rd car and adjust the temp all the way down and wait 30 sec. to a minute, the fan speed will increase. When you first get in the car and want to cool down the car fast, use the max. AC function.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

^what he said.

In auto you have 5 bars, in manual you have 9.
I have mine set to 3 in auto, haven't touched it the year I've owned that car.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

The F10 HVAC system is certainly different in design and function than the E9x models.

The F10 system is an extension to, but easier to use than the E6x models, which had the intensity settings within the iDrive menu system. The fact it is on the display menu makes it so easy to set a preference, to how much airflow and fan speed range we want.

As other users have indicated they use a higher intensity level than myself.

I leave my intensity the same all year around, as I do the temperature. If I get in a hot car I simply hit the MAX button for the most effective cooling and knock it off as soon as it is near to comfort level. Even the lower intensity still gives quite a good range of airflow variation according to demand, just that it is never going to blast the cabin.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
With the f10 you can set the max fan speed in auto. Sounds like you should increase your setting to get a higher fan speed when you start driving.
Maybe this is where I am getting confused. So if I select for example the 3rd bar of intensity, does this mean the fan will constantly stay at this speed until I lower the intensity? Or does this mean that the system will use this as an upper threshold not to exceed but will adjust itself to a slower speed if permitted (i.e. car is parked inside a cool garage thus a fan speed of the 3rd bar wouldnt be necessary to cool the car as it is already cool)?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

It is slightly confusing and I was confused having come from a E39.

I have mine set to the 3rd bar and I think when we talk about intensity we are telling the system the maximum amount of airflow you want it to use.
personal preference obviously but I find 3 bars suits me fine all year round.

Coming from a E39 where the fan speed is set to auto, if getting into a hot car, the fan speed would go to max to cool the car as fast as possible. I was expecting the same behaviour in the F10 but this doesn't seem to be case if the intensity is set to say 1 bar. If you set it to 5 you may be aware that its quite noisy.

best thing is to experiment and see what you find suits you.

For me I leave everything in auto, temperature to 22 in winter and perhaps a bit lower in summer down to 19 and the intensity to 3 bars. You can also adjust the middle vent from red to blue to fine tune the temperature of the face vents separate from the other vents in the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Think of it like a secondary adjustment on the auto function.

In the older versions of the system you selected auto and the ventilation system controlled the airflow and temperature for you, however this was a generic setting with no fine tuning available. The F10 system does the same job however the fan speed adjustment allows you select how aggressively you want to apply the airflow proportion of the function.

Therefore selecting one bar will still vary the fan speed but at a moderate rate, selecting five bars will also adjust the fan speed but at the maximun most aggressive rate.

I generally use three or four bars and use the max cooling function on hot days to bring the cabin temperature to a comfortable level before switching back to auto.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...

Last edited by The Beast; 04-26-2015 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: updated
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Or does this mean that the system will use this as an upper threshold not to exceed but will adjust itself to a slower speed if permitted ?
This.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Maybe this is where I am getting confused. So if I select for example the 3rd bar of intensity, does this mean the fan will constantly stay at this speed until I lower the intensity? Or does this mean that the system will use this as an upper threshold not to exceed but will adjust itself to a slower speed if permitted (i.e. car is parked inside a cool garage thus a fan speed of the 3rd bar wouldnt be necessary to cool the car as it is already cool)?
If I am correct, each bar in auto represents a range of fan speed. For example, level 1 might be from 5% to 40%, level 2 might be 20% to 60%, level 3 40% to 80% and so forth. The percentage are probably not right, but you get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
mschuler
flyboy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 550ix

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
A good point was raised here and no one has definitively answered the question. Does AUTO really mean AUTO to the extent that fan speeds are AUTOMATICALLY adjusted depending on how fast the car is either cooling down or heating up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 02:45 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuler View Post
A good point was raised here and no one has definitively answered the question. Does AUTO really mean AUTO to the extent that fan speeds are AUTOMATICALLY adjusted depending on how fast the car is either cooling down or heating up.
Yes the fan is changing speed automatically as you drive, just in different ranges, (as has been described) in line with the user intensity setting.

Mine certainly does in full auto mode, according to heating or cooling demand.

Listen carefully and you will notice the changes. I think many of us are used to the older systems where the fan would quite often go to maximum speeds as the norm and gradually cut back.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:55 AM   #17
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Yes the fan is changing speed automatically as you drive, just in different ranges, (as has been described) in line with the user intensity setting.

Mine certainly does in full auto mode, according to heating or cooling demand.

Listen carefully and you will notice the changes. I think many of us are used to the older systems where the fan would quite often go to maximum speeds as the norm and gradually cut back.

HighlandPete
Agree

I think that it is more apparent on a hot day when your calling for cool air as the A/C can kick in immediately to cool the cabin. On cold days when your calling for warm air the engine has to heat before the system will start to raise the fan speed.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...

Last edited by The Beast; 04-30-2015 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #18
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If I am correct, each bar in auto represents a range of fan speed. For example, level 1 might be from 5% to 40%, level 2 might be 20% to 60%, level 3 40% to 80% and so forth. The percentage are probably not right, but you get the idea.
Based on playing around with the settings over the past few days I think this is correct. Second bar seems to be the sweet spot for me as the third bar never seems to be calm enough even after the car was already cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #19
jykishan
vroom vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

this confused me too for a while

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960606
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
Smarcat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 525xi, Imperial Blue

Problem?

Question for the experts. I'm not sure if I need to bring my 2014 535xi in for service. When in Auto, the fan speed will not change once the initial cabin temp has been achieved.

Specifically, I can change the internal temp setting from 75 degrees to as low as 60 degrees and the fan speed does not change. I've even adjusted the max auto speed setting to 5 and have not noticed a change. In all of my other cars, the fan speeds automatically adjust if the car is getting too hot/cold, sun, temp adjustment, etc.

Am I missing something, or is my unit faulty?

Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarcat View Post
Question for the experts. I'm not sure if I need to bring my 2014 535xi in for service. When in Auto, the fan speed will not change once the initial cabin temp has been achieved.

Specifically, I can change the internal temp setting from 75 degrees to as low as 60 degrees and the fan speed does not change. I've even adjusted the max auto speed setting to 5 and have not noticed a change. In all of my other cars, the fan speeds automatically adjust if the car is getting too hot/cold, sun, temp adjustment, etc.

Am I missing something, or is my unit faulty?

Much appreciated!
Somewhere on the forum I've commented on my own experience of the fan speeds, when you change the temperature.

I've found if you only change by a degree or two, there may be little fan speed change in auto mode. The wider the temperature change dialled in, the greater the fan speed response, automatically adjusts to higher speed. This applies both to cooling and to heating.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 06-22-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:28 AM   #22
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

I have a question about the auto a/c and rather than make a new thread...necrobump!

In my car, when I have the a/c set to full auto, max intensity (5 bars), the temp set to 70, and it's in the mid-90's outside...when I start my car it takes quite a while for the fan speed to pick up. I'm sitting in the hot car and the system slowly increases fan speed over what seems like minutes. If I want to cool off quickly I just hit max cool. Even if I drop the temp down to 60, it still is slow to increase fan speed.

So, is this typical? How does your climate control system react to this scenario (auto, big temp differential, max intensity)?
Appreciate 0