2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Ipod/iphone wont connect to usb interface

11-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Khalilb
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d se

Ipod/iphone wont connect to usb interface

H all - just today received my new f10 518d lci msport auto. Its great BUT neither my ipod nor iphone 4s will connect to the car using the usb interface. They both charge but the idrive screen simply says 'not connected' on the usb logo. Im using the original apple usb cable and i have tried to connect using 3 different original apple usb cables. Everywhere on the net says i should be able to connect using the cable quite easily so im just wondering if there is something really basic that i am not doing? The ipod screen says 'do not disconnect' but went on for ages like that, the iphone just charges. Iphone also connects easily using bluetooth. Ive just read that resetting the ipod could help. Does anyone have any ideas other than speak to the dealer??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Have no fear...many of us have walked this path. First, review this:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882491

Then the next step is to take deep breath and plan to replace your iPhone USB cable with a BMW device. Take a look at the iPhone connection options that BMW offers for your car and buy one. The USB cable that came with your phone will do nothing more than charge it in your car. And when it is plugged in to this cable, it cannot play music over BT. Apple allows music to leave the phone by only one port, and USB takes precedence over BT.

check this web site and drill down to find your car. I think that I've done this for you at the following URL:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owner...xzJTNEWjVNRyJ9

a snap-in adapter may be the kit that you require.

Sorry! It's gonna cost a lot!
      11-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

I connect my iPhone 4S via USB to stream music via Deezer and to run other apps. When I first tried using an OEM cable it did not work but after switching to the original apple cable it worked just fine. I have a second phone, an iPhone 5, which I connect via BT to handle calls.