2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New 2011 F10

05-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
MotormanDan
Motorman at MTA NYC Transit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

New 2011 F10

The bank just lent me money so I can get this beautiful 2011 F10 with a sport package, premium package 2. I love the car, it drives great has plenty of power and all the bells & whistles you can ask for.

Here are my questions:
How do I raise the navigation voice? I was enjoying my music and the female navigator would come up at a very low volume. I was trying to figure out how to raise it.

How do I turn on that interior ambient lighting that I've seen pics of, underneath the wood paneling I've seen that lit up in pictures before.

Should I get that extended warranty that covers the wheels and rims? It was $1600 for 5 years which sounds good, but do I REALLY need it?

Can I watch a DVD on the screen? I've seen other BMW's with movies playing on the nav screen.

Thanks.

Here are a few pics I took quickly. My old E38 I traded in is next to the new guy. I'll get some better ones soon.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Just turn the volume up whilst the navigation instructions are audible
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

there is a dial on the left side near where you turn your lights on that brightens or dims the interior lighting...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
MotormanDan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
there is a dial on the left side near where you turn your lights on that brightens or dims the interior lighting...
Yes I checked all that, I went on the the settings on iDrive under lighting and all that comes up is if I want the welcome lights on and some other features and how many seconds do I want them lit for. I checked under the wood paneling and I do see a strip of l.e.d's tucked underneath it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
What version of sat nav are you using...CIC or NBT? I assume the latter?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
MotormanDan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdllbF11 View Post
What version of sat nav are you using...CIC or NBT? I assume the latter?
Don't know, I have to check later. What is the difference between the 2?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I'm guessing yours looks like the bottom screen?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
MotormanDan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No the middle one. How do I change that?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanDan
Quote:
No the middle one. How do I change that?
Just typed a long reply and it failed to post

You can change to NBT via software update. You may be able to do this via BMW website if you have ConnectedDrive. Tap in VIN and it will tell you. Otherwise, via dealer or seek out forum on here. Plenty can help.

Re. Sat nav volume (I have CIC), you can only do this via volume button whilst voice is active. Rather than wait until you're driving, you can go to mute (2nd icon from top in sat nav screen), click it on/off whilst guidance is on. You can then increase/decrease volume whilst voice is on.

Stupidly long-winded but that is the only way (at least as far as I have found).

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Check out this guy re.
NBT update. 2014 NBT Navigation Update (although I think this is nav only): [url]http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926968" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://f10.5post.com...p?t=926968</a>
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
MotormanDan
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You can change to NBT via software update. You may be able to do this via BMW website if you have ConnectedDrive. Tap in VIN and it will tell you. Otherwise, via dealer or seek out forum on here. Plenty can help.

Re. Sat nav volume (I have CIC), you can only do this via volume button whilst voice is active. Rather than wait until you're driving, you can go to mute (2nd icon from top in sat nav screen), click it on/off whilst guidance is on. You can then increase/decrease volume whilst voice is on.

Stupidly long-winded but that is the only way (at least as far as I have found).

Appreciate the help, I was looking into the newer version of the nav and it's hot. Any more suggestions on why I cant get that ambient lighting to work? Does it have to do with the updated "next big thing" navi? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the help, I was looking into the newer version of the nav and it's hot. Any more suggestions on why I cant get that ambient lighting to work? Does it have to do with the updated "next big thing" navi? Thanks.
No worries.

Not sure about the ambient lighting. It's not an option that I have. Do you definitely have this as a feature?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
MotormanDan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries.

Not sure about the ambient lighting. It's not an option that I have. Do you definitely have this as a feature?
I ran the vin and it shows it as an part of the options code S4URA, like I wrote before I see the l.e.d strip behind the wood paneling on the doors and dash. As far as the connecteddrive I have to check tomorrow when I come home from work. But I do think I have it because it was showing me real time traffic and I had the option to pull up points of interest but that feature was unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
No worries.

I ran the vin and it shows it as an part of the options code S4URA, like I wrote before I see the l.e.d strip behind the wood paneling on the doors and dash. As far as the connecteddrive I have to check tomorrow when I come home from work. But I do think I have it because it was showing me real time traffic and I had the option to pull up points of interest but that feature was unavailable.
Hmm : RTTI suggests ConnectedDrive is functional (POI works without this though).

Not at all sure about the ambient lighting issue though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
MotormanDan
United_States
Rep

I'm going to call the dealer and ask them about the lights tomorrow when I get off of work in the morning. I'll keep you updated with any new info.
Appreciate 0