2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum ConnectedDrive Real-Time Traffic Info Gone?

05-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #67
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

I have real time traffic information until 03/23/22 on my 2016 550 but i feel like its an error lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #68
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameplayer504 View Post
I have real time traffic information until 03/23/22 on my 2016 550 but i feel like its an error lol
It's not an error as they extended the services for a few of us until they completely expire next year due to the 3G being shut down.

Just spoke to BMW USA and was told that my vehicle, 2016 535ix, will be one of the 60% or vehicles who will not be getting any further updates or upgrades once the current ones expire in 2022. They said that last time they did it for the 2G going to 3G they had a huge headache since people kept throwing away the gift cards mailed to them and having to track them down and reissue.

This is disappointing since it appears as a lot of people are affected by it. The representative told me that they log all the calls about it, so maybe more of us can call and hopefully be taken in consideration for the 4G upgrade. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #69
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

I call BS on "they log all the calls about it". I was transferred 4 times, and each of them tried to get rid of me as soon as possible. Nobody took any note or collected more information.
Unless they are threatened with a class action suit I doubt they will "log" or do anything else about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #70
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
I call BS on "they log all the calls about it". I was transferred 4 times, and each of them tried to get rid of me as soon as possible. Nobody took any note or collected more information.
Unless they are threatened with a class action suit I doubt they will "log" or do anything else about it.
It's probably automatically logged, or logged afterthefact
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #71
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
It's probably automatically logged, or logged afterthefact
Their customer service system would be logging and categorizing the calls, but that doesn't necessarily translate into better knowledge for the front line reps. It would however end up on a report viewed by management. Whether or not that helps is obviously an open question.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #72
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvery777 View Post
Quote:
It's not an error as they extended the services for a few of us until they completely expire next year due to the 3G being shut down.

Just spoke to BMW USA and was told that my vehicle, 2016 535ix, will be one of the 60% or vehicles who will not be getting any further updates or upgrades once the current ones expire in 2022. They said that last time they did it for the 2G going to 3G they had a huge headache since people kept throwing away the gift cards mailed to them and having to track them down and reissue.

This is disappointing since it appears as a lot of people are affected by it. The representative told me that they log all the calls about it, so maybe more of us can call and hopefully be taken in consideration for the 4G upgrade. Fingers crossed!
Why not have users log into connected drive and issue a 1 time downloaded coupon to take to the nearest dealer for the upgrade? You can only download once and need your full Vin number to download. The gift card idea sounds like bullshit to me. And with a 60% affected vehicle rate sounds too high for any company to not expect a backlash.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #73
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Are you guys using (888) 333-6118 when calling BMW about said issue?

I will probably end up calling in to give em a piece of my mind
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #74
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Why not have users log into connected drive and issue a 1 time downloaded coupon to take to the nearest dealer for the upgrade? You can only download once and need your full Vin number to download. The gift card idea sounds like bullshit to me. And with a 60% affected vehicle rate sounds too high for any company to not expect a backlash.
When I heard the 60% I thought it's a large number as well. And I guess not too many BMW owners cared for the upgrade at that time, this is why they opted for the gift card.

As a side note, this is the number I called: +18008311117
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #75
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Quote:

When I heard the 60% I thought it's a large number as well. And I guess not too many BMW owners cared for the upgrade at that time, this is why they opted for the gift card.

Wait, what was the purpose of these gift cards?

From the way you first worded it, I understood that the gift cards were sent to BMW owners to be used for the 2g to 3g upgrade, like a coupon or ticket to redeem solely for the upgrade (essentially the gc had no cash value and could not be used for any else from BMW). Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm confused now since you mentioned people opted for the gc as if it were some sort of consolation for the lack of upgrade. In that case, where's our gift card? Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #76
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneQrtzPapi View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Wait, what was the purpose of these gift cards?

From the way you first worded it, I understood that the gift cards were sent to BMW owners to be used for the 2g to 3g upgrade, like a coupon or ticket to redeem solely for the upgrade (essentially the gc had no cash value and could not be used for any else from BMW). Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm confused now since you mentioned people opted for the gc as if it were some sort of consolation for the lack of upgrade. In that case, where's our gift card? Lol
Apparently you either went to the dealership to get the upgrade for free or, if you don't care for it, you would get a gift card of the same value as the service. This is my own understanding of this process. Not sure if any of those owners can comment exactly as what happened, but we might be in the wrong forum for that, lol.

I can see how this can turn into a mess as many don't care for plain white envelopes in their mailbox. They should just let those who want to upgrade go the their dealership and get it done, no gift card bs.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #77
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
I'm at peace with this issue because I don't want to continue to be bitter about it. Yes, BMW (and all other car makers) need to be strategic in how they introduce evolving technology in their cars from the get-go during design and development. BMW of all makers designs these cars to be so modular, so no reason as to why they can't either offer free upgrades or low-cost modular options for these outgoing technology replacements that don't even need dealer involvement. Just think that an iPhone 12 mini has more power and technology packed with it than a dozen boxes within our cars (DME, TCB, etc).

I bought a 2003 SAAB 93 that became obsolete in 2004 when carriers switched from analog to digital. Same thing happened to my Mercedes C-Class back in 2013 when they went 2G > 3G. Now this. Hopefully once CarPlay (or Android Auto) are standard on all cars, all of this will be meaningless.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)

Last edited by spielnicht; 05-28-2021 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #78
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Apparently you either went to the dealership to get the upgrade for free or, if you don't care for it, you would get a gift card of the same value as the service. This is my own understanding of this process. Not sure if any of those owners can comment exactly as what happened, but we might be in the wrong forum for that, lol...
I received the options for our 2012. The options were a complimentary upgrade, a gift card (no specific amount), or a credit at the BMW store (again, no specific amount). I opted for the upgrade to 3G.

What angers me is BMW HAD to know back when they disabled 2G, that 3G couldn't be far behind, especially as 4G was already in use and 5G/LTE was just around the corner. IMHO, they did a severe disservice by not equipping F10 LCI's with 4G. Heck, my buddies G70 has more standard tech than a Gxx! In fact, I'm seriously looking at replacing our 2012 535 with a G70. His last Genesis (a 2010 4.6) lasted 180K miles with nary as issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #79
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

To bypass this sunsetting connected drive issue, the android head unit replacement seems like the way to go in order to secure navigation with rtti. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:25 PM   #80
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
To bypass this sunsetting connected drive issue, the android head unit replacement seems like the way to go in order to secure navigation with rtti. Thoughts?
I'm not sold on the android headunits yet. As great as they seem, it appears that they are not perfect, many report issues sooner on later. I'm waiting for something stable and reliable, not sure when that will happen. Or maybe there is something out there already that I haven't seen. Might have to look into it at some point...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #81
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I'm not sold on the android headunits yet. As great as they seem, it appears that they are not perfect, many report issues sooner on later. I'm waiting for something stable and reliable, not sure when that will happen. Or maybe there is something out there already that I haven't seen. Might have to look into it at some point...
Same. I'm waiting to see what BMW's solution is.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:13 PM   #82
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:
On the same note, Android head units don't support HUD navigation, which is one of the best features and the reason to stick with OEM.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #83
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
Quote:
On the same note, Android head units don't support HUD navigation, which is one of the best features and the reason to stick with OEM.
Forgot about that, I really like that feature as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #84
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Not sure if its different here in Canada but I just singed up for the connected drive bundle yesterday that includes BMW Online, RTTI and Remote services. It shows an expiry of June 2022 (since its a 1 year subscription) and everything works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #85
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
Not sure if its different here in Canada but I just singed up for the connected drive bundle yesterday that includes BMW Online, RTTI and Remote services. It shows an expiry of June 2022 (since its a 1 year subscription) and everything works great.
It is different in Canada, see here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27407303
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #86
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I guess it's official now...This sucks, I just purchased the car and in a year much of my favorite technology will be useless. And it does not appear that BMW is going to do anything about this since I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and they said this will apply to 60% of people like me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #87
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
I guess it's official now...This sucks, I just purchased the car and in a year much of my favorite technology will be useless. And it does not appear that BMW is going to do anything about this since I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and they said this will apply to 60% of people like me.
I'm honestly a little perplexed by everyone lamenting the loss of this. At least on the F10, connecteddrive really didn't add much value. Google maps curb stomps the built in nav, and smart phones do everything BMW online does but significantly easier and faster.

What is the use case of CD for folks who genuinely use it?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #88
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
I'm honestly a little perplexed by everyone lamenting the loss of this. At least on the F10, connecteddrive really didn't add much value. Google maps curb stomps the built in nav, and smart phones do everything BMW online does but significantly easier and faster.

What is the use case of CD for folks who genuinely use it?
I use the navigation since I love the integration with the HUD. Also, I like the business search option and being able to send an address from my phone. Remote services are nice as well, although half the time they don't work.

I'm sure I'll get over this once they are gone for good but I will sure miss some of them.
Appreciate 0